User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Default Bowling . . . An Extraverted Sport?

So yes, I went to a bowling alley last night and I am now physically, emotionally, and psychologically exhausted. It was a complete over stimulation of the senses to the point that I don't want to go outside for at least a week. The lights. The loud music. The large crowd. . . .The dude that was bowling in the alley next to me that felt it necessary to instantly look back at me for approval after every strike even though I have no idea who he is and hopefully will never see him again.

During this adventure (I didn't play because I am on the injured list) I was thinking about how team sports are extroverted, in general, and individual sports seem to attract introverts based on the obvious need to look inside rather outside. However, bowling in an individual sport that can be played in teams, although it is an individual sport nonetheless.

So here's the question: Is bowling an extroverted sport in that it draws an interest predominantly from extroverts? Or is it an anomaly in that introverts are drawn to the game since it is, in essence, an individual sport?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Sniffles

I go bowling quite often with my friends, and I certainly feel the same way you do afterwards.

I don't think it's necessarily an Extraverted sport per se, just we Introverts prefer to play it when there's few people around and much more quiet. I definately perform much better under these circumstances.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think it's an introverted activity. Even if there is a team, there is no way to treat it as such because your individual performance is what causes the team to win or lose. It depends very much on the time of day that you bowl. The noise level from the people in the bowling alley is much more bothersome to me than the actual noise in the bowling alley so I like going on a weekday. I also feel rather spent the next day.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Sniffles

Weekdays or early Saturdays are probably the best times to go.

garbage

I go bowling pretty much explicitly to hang out with my friends, regardless of how "alone" I am on the lane itself. That's about a tenth of the actual experience for me. Therefore, to me, it's an extraverted activity.

Maybe those who treat it more "seriously" have a different answer. My dad's an avid bowler.. I'll have to grab his insight.

MBTI
    INTj

What's his type?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    What's his type?
    ENTJ.

This.. yeah, should be interesting.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i've known some introverts who loved it...i but i can see where you were coming from and why you felt uncomfortable...i imagine it's just the very public environment...just as you may love basketball just you and a friend on a secluded court but would hate it at the gym with 4 crowded courts nearby.

maybe...that was pointless.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I hate bowling. It's so boring, you just have to sit, then bowl. One of the most boring sports ever.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Bowling's one of my favorites. What do I enjoy about it? Hanging out with friends, yes. But I also take my game "seriously," I guess. I'm not a professional, I'm not even that good, I just feel like there is a sport reason and a socializing reason to go bowling, and I want to do both. It's still kind of competitive, is what I'm saying.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.