`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Bowling's a sport?!?

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I was thinking about how team sports are extroverted, in general, and individual sports seem to attract introverts based on the obvious need to look inside rather outside. However, bowling in an individual sport that can be played in teams, although it is an individual sport nonetheless.
    I think that with bowling it's not the activity itself as much as it is the environment it's often buried within. The whole loud music, beer-drinking bowling-shirt-wearing-team-cheering thing sort of denies the whole premise that you're one person trying to skillfully knock some pins over - something that can just as easily be done by yourself. I think you got stuck in something that was more of a social activity where there happened to be some bowling rather than bowling that happened to have other people there.

Most team sports I think are generally introvert-friendly, really - at least for me. As long as my focus can be on the activity itself, and there's not a large social aspect, I'm rarely bothered. I played league volleyball for years, and once the game got going and I had it to focus on, the disconcerting fact that I was in a gym with a bunch of mostly strangers faded away. Now... before the game and after the game? Different story - I was frequently a bit uncomfortable standing around waiting our turn to play. But the sport itself was introvert-friendly, even though it's not at all an individual sport.

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i imagine it's just the very public environment...
    Yeah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I like bowling, but then maybe Bowling alleys in the states might be way more over the top.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Bowling's a sport?!?

Yes so is dart throwing apparently as well.

your resident asshole

I like bowling (though I suck at it haha) and am not bothered at all by the loud noises and crowds. But I suppose that this is probably because I have three very loud brothers. You learn to ignore things like that. :P

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A few weeks ago I went bowling with my ENFP friend and her two brothers (ESFP and EnTP). It seemed like an extroverted activity to me but I was with some pretty damned extroverted people. Anyway I had fun and it wasn't too terribly draining.

My ISTJ dad hates bowling especially when teams are involved. About a decade ago he was on a team with a bunch of co-workers and he got so sick of it that he started paying someone to take his place. He thought of it as a chore.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

As an introvert, I can't figure out how to bowl. I mean, if I just get the urge to go down to the lanes on a Friday night and bowl by myself, can I even do that? Since this isn't clear to me, and bowling is something you can't inherently do introvertedly, I categorize bowling as an introverted sport. Of course I am more introverted than most; most would have friends with whom they could band together to infiltrate the alley, thereby getting over that initial hurdle of human contact (and shoes that other people have worn! ).

Shooting or archery would be introverted sports, as would snowboarding, skiing, cycling, running, also certain types of racing such as a TDS rally where you're not even on the track at the same time as someone else necessarily... There are quite a few introverted sports now that I think about it. Bowling does not seem to fit in with these. Maybe not skiing either, as you need the whole ski resort aparatus with staff just to get up the hill - maybe cross-country skiing is the introverted variety of skiing. If I can't just go out and do it by myself, but it relies on other people running the sport and/or participating, to me that's an "extroverted" sport (for whatever that's worth).
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ISTx

I haven't been bowling in years and I'm fine with that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I think that bowling is good sport for Es and Is.
    (unless the place is overcrowded, then it is not good for anyone)

Dali

Bowling chops. I haz them. It's waaay fun.