User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Operating System do you use?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac OS X Leopard

10 19.23%
  • Mac OS X

8 15.38%
  • Windows Vista

10 19.23%
  • Windows XP

15 28.85%
  • Other Windows

0 0%
  • Ubuntu

9 17.31%
  • The Newest Linux Distro

0 0%
  • Other Linux

0 0%
  • Unix or FreeBSD

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
First 456

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    Bald

-- what? I hadn't been on one long enough to notice that it only had one.
    The mouse wheel is a little minimalistic for my tastes, still.

I don't know how I'd ever got by without a mouse wheel before.

Can't say I've ever used Safari etc. Strictly Firefox, though IE was mainstream back then. Guh.
    By the three year mark, one's computer has a pretty well established *personality*. I'd say I'd get attached to it because of it's flaws.

MBTI
    ENTJ

NT and Windows. Bf uses Mac - EVERYTHING Mac. iPod, iPhone, laptop, desktop, everything. There is often verbal combat.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    NT and Windows. Bf uses Mac - EVERYTHING Mac. iPod, iPhone, laptop, desktop, everything. There is often verbal combat.
    that's my main gripe about mac. it limits you a little too much imho. i have quite a bit of experience on all three systems (mac, windows, linux) and it is by far the most limited. you need to buy mac this mac that. plus i like that linux is open source lol... im poor and dont have the money to buy a super expensive mac and all its little accessories. admittedly it may be worth it because it actually does its job which windows has continually failed to do. im amazed that i have to reinstall windows once a year because the registry gets so fried i can't accomplish anything. and i dont even connect any of my windows partitions to the internet lol. i guess its all just a matter of preference in the end though.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

deleted

When you say "experience," I doubt you're referring to actually experiencing it now. Water doesn't stain the 'been there done that' shirt.

It's definitely not so limited. You can't find better software than software for mac. Its is getting bigger and better, every year. I think its better than PC already. I have a PC and I buy new software to spend hours daily just for comparison. PC remains outdated in features appertaining to even the very basic software and worse, the compatibility for cabling a program (you can't make hardware conversions because it locks the system up, and I think that's BS! BS stands for BIOS fyi.). I'm very certain that Mac will take over the PC gaming industry, and windows will be second behind in the entertainment aspect. They already have future contracts set up with the elite hardware companies.

Accessories? Maybe for some people. They're not a requirement whatsoever.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm on my 5th Mac, although I use PC's everyday.

I go with Mac because the software I like for music( recording/production) is a little more stable on that platform, and I'm used to it.
    I had a lot of trouble with crashes on my Macbook. It's not all songs and roses.

I don't 'get' Vista. I much prefer XP.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I go with Mac because the software I like for music( recording/production) is a little more stable on that platform, and I'm used to it.
    I compose music on Logic 8. What software do you use?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    I compose music on Logic 8. What software do you use?
    Logic Pro. Is to use Cubase on Mac and PC. I meant that the platform is a little more stable for DA applications than on PC. Maybe that's no longer the case.

deleted

Also, apple audio processor is specified for quality performance with AUs. I can really notice the difference, and much of its due to apple having custom sound modules. You have to purchase one for windows, I've seen them as low as $100, and they are just simulations of sound banks running through the same interface, so you get lockup and disturbance. A friend of mine shared a pricier version of this with me, and it did nothing close to what I wanted it to do. So there's no way around a memory lock in cubase or anything on windows. They don't seem to care too much, because no hardware device of windows has fixed this problem in the past 10 years: they want software to have dozens of ambigous requirements just to get it working to full potential. Apple is user friendly enough to convert any instrument file into the minimum standard version of AU, so there's nothing I can't run in Logic.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    When you say "experience," I doubt you're referring to actually experiencing it now. Water doesn't stain the 'been there done that' shirt.

It's definitely not so limited. You can't find better software than software for mac. Its is getting bigger and better, every year. I think its better than PC already. I have a PC and I buy new software to spend hours daily just for comparison. PC remains outdated in features appertaining to even the very basic software and worse, the compatibility for cabling a program (you can't make hardware conversions because it locks the system up, and I think that's BS! BS stands for BIOS fyi.). I'm very certain that Mac will take over the PC gaming industry, and windows will be second behind in the entertainment aspect. They already have future contracts set up with the elite hardware companies.

Accessories? Maybe for some people. They're not a requirement whatsoever.
    i used one yesterday

look im not against them. they were/are intelligent enough to use unix as the filesystem (windows, take note) and im sure that with a little bit of fiddling you can get anything to work (thank you unix).i just dont like the limitations it has, thats all.

i also agree about mac taking over and i think it is for the better, but that is in the somewhat far future. i think mac should focus on taking down PC through Office applications.

hey if mac lowered their prices i would be all gung-ho for them but i really dont wanna spend $1k+ for a laptop that, using linux (free), can do everything i need. admittedly i pirated windows just in case i need it for school (suck it microsoft, im a comp-sci student and im poor). i can game (steam was easy to install). i can program (go bluej). my summer job uses it (CSC). i think it is phenominal for media (songbird owns itunes imho). it just fits what i need. if mac fits your budget, more power to ya. im just saying for me it would be limiting, thats all.

oh and i can carry it on a thumbdrive with me and use it in school.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

I use Ubuntu and Vista. Mac sucks, lol