User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Operating System do you use?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac OS X Leopard

10 19.23%
  • Mac OS X

8 15.38%
  • Windows Vista

10 19.23%
  • Windows XP

15 28.85%
  • Other Windows

0 0%
  • Ubuntu

9 17.31%
  • The Newest Linux Distro

0 0%
  • Other Linux

0 0%
  • Unix or FreeBSD

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I use Mac OS X, which I've grown to like. With my PC (on which I had XP installed), I was constantly encountering software and hardware headaches, but I've yet to encounter a single hitch with my MacBook. I can't say whether or not I'll be sticking with it though, as the prices do run pretty steep.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Ubuntu: free, easy to use, easy to install, i can run windows and mac applications, it is NOT for little pricks who want to make their computer look pretty, that is an overused and invalid argument. it makes my computer run 1000x's faster. i can run it on anything (i know its not ubuntu but im running debian on my nokia n810 with desktop and all).

admittedly i am a computer science major so i may be bias.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Because I enjoy getting the same computer for half the price, and I like it when my hardware is designed to work instead of to look good.
    +1

I use windows vista because my laptop came with it. After all the horror stories I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it isn't any slower than my old laptop with XP (due to upgraded technology though, but it's still mid-bottom line and it was cheaper than my old one - the cost of my two laptops combined was well under the cost for a bottom-line macbook). I do prefer XP though.

I've never had virus problems with this or any other windows computer. Any viruses I've picked up have been quickly removed by AVG.I also like running all the games etc I want, and being able to tell my computer exactly what I want it to do.

I never even considered paying twice the cost for a machine that does the same thing as a PC but with an unintuitive (and to me, ugly) layout. I'm unimpressed with the macbooks that I've used so far, especially for the price. It's great for people like my mom though, who don't know (or want to know) how to do anything but web-surf and use office.

edit: I'm interested in linux but I've been too lazy to bother so far, when I haven't had any problems with windows yet.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISFJ

Mac OS X Leopard here. Primary use anyways. I also use both Windows and Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    +1

I use windows vista because my laptop came with it. After all the horror stories I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it isn't any slower than my old laptop with XP (due to upgraded technology though, but it's still mid-bottom line and it was cheaper than my old one - the cost of my two laptops combined was well under the cost for a bottom-line macbook). I do prefer XP though.

I've never had virus problems with this or any other windows computer. Any viruses I've picked up have been quickly removed by AVG.I also like running all the games etc I want, and being able to tell my computer exactly what I want it to do.

I never even considered paying twice the cost for a machine that does the same thing as a PC but with an unintuitive (and to me, ugly) layout. I'm unimpressed with the macbooks that I've used so far, especially for the price. It's great for people like my mom though, who don't know (or want to know) how to do anything but web-surf and use office.

edit: I'm interested in linux but I've been too lazy to bother so far, when I haven't had any problems with windows yet.

If you never used a Mac you won't be able to compare it with a PC. It's a simple as that. It's not like Mac is the holy grail of computing but these PC/Mac debates should be based on thorough experience with both. I don't know how someone can call Mac's layout unintuitive but nevermind...

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Mac OS X Leopard here. Primary use anyways. I also use both Windows and Ubuntu.

If you never used a Mac you won't be able to compare it with a PC. It's a simple as that. It's not like Mac is the holy grail of computing but these PC/Mac debates should be based on thorough experience with both. I don't know how someone can call Mac's layout unintuitive but nevermind...
    The mac touch pad and shortcut commands takes some time to get used to. One of the prof next door had problems with his computer and he decided to replace it with a macbook pro laptop. Yes, it's suppose to be intuitive and easy to use if you've never touched a computer before. But for a PC person switching over, there's a learning curve.

He needed to make a powerpoint presentation and I was helping him adjust color/contrast etc on the images and text so they'll display properly on a projector. Guess what? Settings for powerpoint in Windows does not correspond to the same settings for Mac. After all that work on my PC, I had to redo it all on his mac. It's the same powerpoint program... but it took me twice as long on the mac because I couldn't use some shortcut keys, the touch pad is "funky". There's no "home" and "end" keys either, it makes correcting text cumbersome with the touchpad/repeat pressing of arrow keys.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

deleted

That is true. But the same could be said about someone who was used to working on a Mac and switched to PC.
    True it is different. Mac has so many features for OS and their powerful software. If you learn them, your computing experience thrives. When I went back to PC after learning Mac, I was surprised how slow everything was even though I could remember it all. It's because they didn't have useful enough features, especially on software. It wasn't even basic to me anymore, it seemed like junk. You can't do this, or not even this. It took me hours to toggle through pages of work. Yes mac software... I will never again sequence music on a PC. Logic = Divine.

I think most people prefer Windows because it's convenient, like sensing is convenient. It's not really that great, but it's available. It's not really any cheaper either. Windows sells cheap computers. If you want a PC to have equally performing specs as a Mac, you will spend the same cash.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    The mac touch pad and shortcut commands takes some time to get used to. One of the prof next door had problems with his computer and he decided to replace it with a macbook pro laptop. Yes, it's suppose to be intuitive and easy to use if you've never touched a computer before. But for a PC person switching over, there's a learning curve.
    That is true. But the same could be said about someone who was used to working on a Mac and switched to PC.

Where's the cheerleader emoticon?

IMO, some things are better to research and some things aren't really that important... I spent probably 20 hours trying to figure out linux and didn't get any where so I quit... wine never worked for me, the internet never worked for me, so I'll just stick to windows because all I do is game anyway... I really don't like having to troubleshoot something every hour I use a computer.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Sorry, I meant that it was unintuitive for me personally...as in, a drawback for me switching (nightning explained a good example, plus I find the entire software 'pattern' irritating to use). I could see how it would be easier for someone unfamiliar with computers to use (like I said, my mom loves her mac).

I can certainly compare the technical aspects without using one extensively. It doesn't take a 'mac user' to notice that you can get the same specs for half the price in a PC.
    -end of thread-

If you think AVG will save you, you've just been lucky.