User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Operating System do you use?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac OS X Leopard

10 19.23%
  • Mac OS X

8 15.38%
  • Windows Vista

10 19.23%
  • Windows XP

15 28.85%
  • Other Windows

0 0%
  • Ubuntu

9 17.31%
  • The Newest Linux Distro

0 0%
  • Other Linux

0 0%
  • Unix or FreeBSD

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I have a laptop with Windows Vista, and I am totally fine with that. I even played Crysis on it.

I don't see why in hell would I have to change it to Mac or Linux.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Why do I keep encountering Mac/Linux people who get so self righteous about an operating system? It's just a freaking operating system. If people buy something different from you then why should you care? I don't get why people act morally superior over a freaking computer.
    Anything in this thread that led you to believe that, or just others that you come across? From my point of view, it just suits my needs better overall.. and I fully realize that it's not going to be like that for everyone. I use Ubuntu rather than, say, Slackware as a distribution because it has a bunch of widespread community support, and it's easy enough to use that I don't have to screw with the inner workings of the OS too much

I do hate it when zealots roll their eyes and seem to think that everyone should be able to compile their own kernel. That's just.. retarded

Edit: just realized that i mistook liquid laser for the OP for some reason, so some of this is out of context

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Why do I keep encountering Mac/Linux people who get so self righteous about an operating system? It's just a freaking operating system. If people buy something different from you then why should you care? I don't get why people act morally superior over a freaking computer.
    Self justification for why they went against the "norm" and purchased something different.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

new imac with o sx leopard and firefox

so i had gentoo linux installed. i created my own window manager theme. I did compile a kernel once. i installed pretty much every available linux program (in the 'genres' that interest me). they suck.

and then i went back to my almighty setup of windows XP, powerpro, litestep, total commander, foobar, ...

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I don't care about computers or operating systems at all, so when I finally got a laptop a few yrs ago I just got a Dell with Windows. I grew up using PC's, and I had no reason to look into something else. I just don't care.

Now, programmers, engineers, or anyone more technologically inclined who really are into all of it...yeah, I could see how they'd spend a lot of time researching and figuring out what they most desire. And, they'd have strong opinions on all of it too.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Not only that, but people who determine that because they have done research and come to a conclusion, that anyone who reaches a different opinion is naive, wrongheaded or misguided.

For instance, how can it be a fact that cost of ownership of a Mac is less when a Mac costs nearly twice the amount of a PC with similar specifications and in my experience is much less reliable? I'm on my second Toshiba laptop. The first one lasted four years and the second is in its third year with no signs of slowing down. Total price for both? $2200. Zero service calls. I don't know any Mac users that have not had to send their hardware to Apple for servicing at least once. Why would I ever change when this is my experience?

Mac is legitimately better for professional graphic applications. The rest of the appeal, in my opinion, is identifying with the carefully marketed Apple lifestyle.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

My first PC which cost me an arm and a leg was on a 3 year warranty and broke after about five years. I went for a second one that was on lifetime warranty. I got really frustrated at having to wait for a week or so for technician to repair it whenever it crashed. This lifetime warranty thing ended up looking like it was making me totally dependent on other people skills for a machine that I use everyday!

I ended up buying a laptop with the OEM CD's that came with it, learned to format hard drive every three months or so because of the viruses and spywares that it caught, got really mad at all that wasted time. Then, did a lot of reading online and finally was able to partition my hard drive into two, one for XP and one for Ubuntu. I use mostly the latter nowadays and only move to XP for the occasional DVD that won't open on Ubuntu and to use my scanner which will only work on XP.

I can hardly describe the feeling of being on top of the world, and finally in control of the machine!!! Instead of being at the mercy of viruses and spywares and all that. Pure exhilaration. I get a lot more done. No, I have not learned to compile my own kernel or whatever things Linux die-hards do. I don't know how to program either. I have learned to use the terminal a bit. I just take the Linux experience in a leisurely fashion. For me, Linux works because of the security aspect.

MBTI
    INtP

I've used all three, but am currently using a Mac with Leopard. I used Windows for years, but when I was looking to buy a laptop last year I wasn't enthused with Vista and wanted to try something new, so I got this one. So far, I like it pretty well... except for the fact that it's not very game-friendly (but I don't do that too much these days anyway).

I might try Linux again someday - I've experimented with it on a number of occasions over the years, and my conclusion was always that it was neat, but too much of a pain in the behind to actually use on a day-to-day basis. I know it's changed a lot since then, but I've just not had much motive to try it again recently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Why do I keep encountering Mac/Linux people who get so self righteous about an operating system? It's just a freaking operating system.
    Because it isn't a choice, it's an IQ test!

No I'm just playing but for real, you guys are going off some crazy rumors or something. Since Mac is well, just Mac and Windows is an operating systems that goes into an almost endless number of hardware configurations Mac works far better, I have 3 in my house for many years now and have never had a single computer crash, freeze, break, stop working or anything else. I've never had a friend with any issues either.

I know the initial cost of a mac is more but if after the first one due to the extremely good resale value it's going to be about the same. It will also cost you less to have the Mac.

I think if you understood how easy it would be for Microsoft to eliminate Viruses you would give supporting Microsoft a second thought.