User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Tell me why your residence rocks!

So, I'm a serious traveler, and even though I don't get to do it often, I do do what I say I'm going to do slowly but surely.

There's a lot of people from different places here, and everyone's got their reasons why where they live rocks. So let us know

If I were, for example, going to California, what are must-dos and must-sees, and what are the cheapest ways of getting good food, rooming, etc? What to avoid as well (this is not limiting this thread to Cali)

I'll start: Houston is very event-oriented. We have lots of local-rock that ends up famous (Blue October for example), and many tour-gigs go through this area as well. We have a conveyor-belt sushi parlor, we have anime-conventions up the ass for fans of it all, our night life doesn't suck for a business oriented city, and we have the Nasa space station to visit as well as a wonderful butterfly exhibit, the galleria shopping center with an insane amount of stores, and I could go on and on, but I'd say our variety of food here is awesome as well.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP

Where I live now kicks ass because the weather is amazing and I'm only 10 minutes away from this:

Doheny State Beach:

Dana Point Harbor:

And today I went to the Return of the Swallows Celebration at Mission San Juan Capistrano, which was pretty damn cool.

Unfortunately, it's expensive as hell down here. No idea about cheap rooms - there's hostels in San Diego, Fullerton, Anaheim, and Santa Monica, but none of those are very close to where I live. I'd say camp out at the beach...or you can sleep in your car at the Wal Mart in Laguna Niguel (don't laugh, I did that for over 2 months when I moved here and it was awesome).

There's lots of cheap food, especially if you like Mexican food, but you have to look around 'cause there's also a lot of really overpriced restaurants here.

Cool thread idea, btw - I love hearing about where people live too, even when I'm too broke to travel.
    "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." Frederick Douglass

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ That beach looks amazing! :O!! thanks for sharing I found sleeping in the car way too boring for me to keep up for long.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I found sleeping in the car way too boring for me to keep up for long.
    That's because you weren't doing it in Orange County.

Besides the beaches, there's so many nice parks and libraries down here, I was almost never bored. I'd either go to the batting cage or mess around in the park after work, shooting baskets, hitting tennis balls, jogging...whatever, go to the library to use my free hour of internet for the day and check out a random nonfiction book, then drive back to Wal Mart and chill in my truck reading 'til I fell asleep. I also had a little TV and my Dreamcast in the truck in case I got really bored (I am an ENFP, after all...gotta have my entertainment. )
    "I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." Frederick Douglass

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

California >>>> everywhere else. 'Cause I said so.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

To be honest I hate living in Southern California. Just hate it.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    Bald

My house has the best backyard (designed jungle) compared with these little boxes around today. It's an open, airy sort of house.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    To be honest I hate living in Southern California. Just hate it.
    It's definitely a nicer place to visit than to live. Everything is such a pain in the ass here 'cause there's too many people. And snobby, rich OC people really piss me off.

Not to mention the ridiculous rent prices - I'm paying $1500/mo for a 2 bedroom apt. that always has something broken or leaking 'cause the maintenance dept. sucks...and this was the cheapest place I could find in the area, by far. :rolleyes2:

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Trope View Post
    My house has the best backyard (designed jungle) compared with these little boxes around today. It's an open, airy sort of house.
    Pix or it didnt happen

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    It's definitely a nicer place to visit than to live. Everything is such a pain in the ass here 'cause there's too many people. And snobby, rich OC people really piss me off.

Not to mention the ridiculous rent prices - I'm paying $1500/mo for a 2 bedroom apt. that always has something broken or leaking 'cause the maintenance dept. sucks...and this was the cheapest place I could find in the area, by far. :rolleyes2:
    1500?!!?! dear gawd!!

I think a NICE 2-bedroom with a master bath and a garage linked to the apartment was like 780 here last time I checked on it all, back in 2006.

I have heard it's outrageous over there. My friend says his 400k floorplan costed about a mil down there.