User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So is Ci-drinking cofee

and Ce-expelling it?
    I've had lots of problems with Ce types. Sometimes I just want to sit quietly and drink coffee, and all they do is expel it at me. Like, talk about table manners. :steam:
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I think I've reached an interesting realization about generalized statements (in general, hehe.)

The uninitiated seem to take MBTI as a specific statement intended to apply accurately to every single, individual member of a group. This seems like the S way to look at it. Somebody says to you, "People from xxxx type behave this way", and if you interpret it that way, it's hard not to be skeptical about a system that seems, on the surface, to claim it can accurately box 6 billion distinct people in to just 16 types.

This may be why N types are more interested in MBTI, on average, than S types. They don't seem to take MBTI as a singular statement applied repeatedly to every individual, but rather as a general description of the group as a whole, which allows for any number (so long as that number is less than half) of particular cases where the type-behavior statements don't apply.

S thinks, "This is obviously wrong when applied to [insert specific cases here], so I don't see much validity in it." N is more generalized; "This seems to work more often than it fails, so overall I find it useful."

S sees individuals; N sees a group.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I've also heard that there is a new 'type' that utilises the Z function.
    Yes. It is determined by one question: Do you drink kool-aid?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w4

Personality theories abound these days, but it is still very hard to show proof about where personality originates and how it functions. I've been interested in personality since I first started studying the mind and human behavior, but what I've gathered from the different concepts out there is that these theories are solely based on self-analysis. Finding one's MBTI type requires answering questions about oneself, and it's right there in those moments of answering questions where personality manifests itself. It is not in the theory or the analysis of the answers; that's merely where we get the "lock combination" so we can continue our conversations everyday without having to re-explain.

Having taken a number of personality tests, including the MMPI, Rorschach, and visual apperceptive personality test, and also being highly metacognitive, I often become aware of trends in the way I explain certain things or even in the types of ideas, objects, places and things I tend to focus on most while explaining. And that's all there really is to personality theory. You decide who you are; the analyses of the MBTI are only meant to be summaries of what the theorists believe are the many combinations of all the ways humans are capable of functioning. Like many have expressed already, the theory is a framework to explain tendencies and preferences in behavior.

Since I started identifying myself more as a specific type, I notice how I'm less likely to think about my behavior as being "INFP," and more likely to explain my behavior in terms of Ne or Fi and how they might be working together with Te at any particular moment, or maybe Se and other ways of functioning that I don't tend to use all the time. It is more exciting for me to learn how I can relate to an S-type by noticing that I do use Se and Si, but on rarer occasions. And it's particularly interesting to notice the different types of situations in which I call on my Te as opposed to Fi.

MBTI type: It's not just a four letter word anymore. It's a whole freakin' orgy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

They don't seem to take MBTI as a singular statement applied repeatedly to every individual, but rather as a general description of the group as a whole, which allows for any number (so long as that number is less than half) of particular cases where the type-behavior statements don't apply.
    Oh, absolutely. We're all different, even if we're the same type--and while the enneagram is a nice way of specializing it (4w9!), the truth is just because you have the same thought process as someone doesn't mean you have the same personality. (For example, I'd be willing to bet the bank that BlackCat has better developed his T than I have, but we're both INFP.) The stencil analogy the OP mentioned is pretty accurate, to me. We all have different coloring boxes, and some of us don't stay in the lines. Or we prefer markers.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    Oh, absolutely. We're all different, even if we're the same type--and while the enneagram is a nice way of specializing it (4w9!), the truth is just because you have the same thought process as someone doesn't mean you have the same personality. (For example, I'd be willing to bet the bank that BlackCat has better developed his T than I have, but we're both INFP.) The stencil analogy the OP mentioned is pretty accurate, to me. We all have different coloring boxes, and some of us don't stay in the lines. Or we prefer markers.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I think people can expect it to do too much. Or take it farther than what's realistic. It still has some interesting uses.
    i could not possibly agree more
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I think it tends to be a better tool when applied against people who are either less aware, or even completely ignorant of typology, and for first impressions.
    I generally don't go round typing people, though some people are obvious.
    I also find it quite useful as a guide (not an instruction manual) for communication issues, but mostly I take people as they come.
    I'm different from the INFP's here too, but to certain extent I understand them more (as in thought processes). Having not delved to deeply into the ennegram system, I can't weld it as confidently....I'm a 5w4 btw, always been a natural analyst.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]