User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Quote Originally Posted by something boring View Post
    Argh? I hate it when people find new ways to be annoying? Don't you!
    I don't like it when other people find new ways to be annoying...

I enjoy finding new ways to annoy other people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

threads that flaunt old and fleshed out ideas as new
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    since when is a smiley considered punctuation

I may not be NT, but I sure can be pedantic and nitpick!!

Actually I don't like strong British accents either sorry, guys
    Things that annoy me: When people fail to appreciate the fact that emoticons remove the need for ending punctuation. True story

Oh, wait *scratches head* you seem to get it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I expect better from the BBC.
    Literally?

I find the BBC news thoroughly inane of late. They cater to people with a mental age of about eleven and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah, the BBC has definitely made themselves more palatable of late - and not in a good way. If you can't count on the BBC for stiff accents and ruthlessly objective, emotionless reports, who can you trust?
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INXP

The radio side seems ok still.. well Radio 4 etc, but agreed.. the tv side seems to be lowest common denominator.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I Radio 4!
    Desert Island discs. The Archers. Gardener's Question Time. I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

Naff perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah, I'm talking about tv and their website. I don't listen to the radio. I probably should. My pet peeve is not listening to the radio.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I Radio 4!
    Desert Island discs. The Archers. Gardener's Question Time. I'm sorry I haven't a clue.

Naff perfection.
    Add :

The Now Show
    and some of the comedies.. like Old Harry's Game. pretty good stuff!

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius' biggest pet peeve is people confusing neutrality with objectivity, to such an extent they believe they both are synonyms.

Falcarius' definition of 'objectivity' is to endeavour to find the truth by being receptive to other ideas; drop biases to strive towards the truth. While his definition of 'neutrality' is to endeavour to have no pronounced characteristic; have biases and ignore the truth.

There are two ways of being neutral; the first is is not to pick a opinion at all. When asked what shape the world is, one may reply that "Some people believe the earth is round, other that it is flat; I suppose they both could be right". The other way of being neutral is to simply pick the view that is least offensive to the most people, this is called argumentum ad temperantiam or argument to moderation in English; it is what Switzerland does and the reason she has not has a war with another country since the Congress of Vienna.

The complete absence of striving towards the truth is just about as far from objectivity as one can go without actually telling a downright fib. The only real thing objectivity and neutrality have in common is they both are rather utopian and don't exist in practice.

Take a moment to consider the following; all good politicians are objective, but none are neutral. In Falcarius opinion, it is futile to expect a politician to ever be "neutral", as they have a vested interest in particular theories. 'Politician' is just a rather refined way of describing a fanciful person that wants to impose their quixotic views on others; hence why they are dogmatic by default.

That said, is there a logical reason a politician has to be illiberal (by illiberal Falcarius means intolerant), even if Falcarius' suggestion that all politicians are dogmatic is correct? The answer is almost certainly no, one can be objective despite idealogical indoctrination, as long as they take an objective approach in the sense of remaining open to alternatives. That is exactly what Abraham Lincoln did when he appointed all three rivals to his cabinetSeward as secretary of state, Chase as secretary of the treasury, and Bates as attorney general. Hence, Abraham Lincoln was objective not neutral. It was his objectivity that made him decide to pick a political cabinet based on ones ability rather than who agreed with him the most, and to successfully lead the USA through its greatest internal crisis ever, in the process becoming widely regarded as America's greatest president ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.