User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Definitely stay away from Vegas if you're under 21. I went there when I was 18 for some babysitting thing, and it was pretty lame because I couldn't do anything except walk through a couple of hotels, see some shops, and walk up and down the strip. There also isn't a lot to do there that is cheap, so that really wouldn't be up your alley. A lot of the shows there are EXPENSIVE [and the ones worth seeing fall into the costly category].

You said you like hiking and all that, right? So why not opt for something with a lot of scenery? Mountain ranges or forests or fields? Montana, Virginia, or Colorado...
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Sounds pretty cool, I'll look into it.

That pic reminds me of Church street in Burlington, VT
    I live just about 2 hours from Burlington, so I've been there quite a few times, as well. Burlington certainly has a new age culture, and I think it's even stronger in Boulder. As for things to do, and places to go- mountains, hiking trails, recreation, etc.- Boulder has much more to do. You'd enjoy it very much.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    Definitely stay away from Vegas if you're under 21. I went there when I was 18 for some babysitting thing, and it was pretty lame because I couldn't do anything except walk through a couple of hotels, see some shops, and walk up and down the strip. There also isn't a lot to do there that is cheap, so that really wouldn't be up your alley. A lot of the shows there are EXPENSIVE [and the ones worth seeing fall into the costly category].

You said you like hiking and all that, right? So why not opt for something with a lot of scenery? Mountain ranges or forests or fields? Montana, Virginia, or Colorado...
    I think half the resaon you didn't like it is because you were babysitting :P. But I wholeheartedly disagree with the under 21 sentiment. I have loved Vegas ever since I was in my early teens, and I've been there many times. Haven't been in the past couple years though. But everything down there is just a really fun atmosphere, and there are plenty of spots to have fun when you're under 21. Vegas is full of more family oriented stuff, all of the hotels are perfectly open, there are a few 18+ clubs, there's a plethora of sights to be seen (I just love exploration), entertainment shows and roller coasters, etc. There's so much to do, you don't even have to be 21. Even the nightlife is friendly to those under 21. However, I do agree that Vegas is very expensive, and it sucks ass if you don't go there with a good wad of cash to spend. Going to Vegas and trying to save money (even if you don't gamble) is like going to Antarctica with the intention of never getting cold.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    However, I do agree that Vegas is very expensive, and it sucks ass if you don't go there with a good wad of cash to spend. Going to Vegas and trying to save money (even if you don't gamble) is like going to Antarctica with the intention of never getting cold.
    Just go backpacking for a few days. You'll never even have to see the city, except from a mountaintop.

Here's one you can do in a day: LocalHikes - Charleston Peak via North Loop Trail Canyon

MBTI
    I

My 3 favorite climates:

Ton o' snow: Go to the Pacific Northwest during winter (especially places like Portland, Oregon). Or Alaska.

Hot and arid: The Southwest U.S. is the best here. Go to Arizona.

Hot and humid: The closest thing you can get to the tropical rainforest is... Florida I guess.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Hot and humid: The closest thing you can get to the tropical rainforest is... Florida I guess.
    Florida is mostly swampland, which I personally think is fun and interesting ecologically, but most people just think it is hot, muggy, and full of strange creatures they don't want to come in contact with.

For a true tropical rainforest, go to Puerto Rico. You don't need a passport if you are a US citizen. I spent some time in El Yunque with the G.F. last spring, and I've got to say it was the closest thing to a jungle I've ever experienced. That and the beaches are amazing. If you go before about May, the insects won't have hatched yet.

Although now that I think about it, PR probably does not fall under the OP's limitation of "continental US"

Somebody else's pictures:

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh damn...i have to go there now. looks beautiful.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Chicago. It are pretty there.

I love Las Vegas, but I would agree that if you're under 21 it's probably more of a tease than anything else.

However, I'm kind of at all the people saying it's expensive. Part of the reason I go there so often is because I find it inexpensive. So much is subsidized by high rollers. Hotels are cheap...even on the strip it's easy to find a room for under $100. There's lots of expensive food, but lots of cheap food too - buffets are the starving student's best friend. Drinks are free while you gamble, even if you're at a 25-cent slot machine. Sports books are great places to watch games on huge screens and watch the human drama of guys losing the rent money - and at a few, they will serve you free drinks even if you don't have a bet. Finally, there are fun free things to do at each of the resorts, like the aquarium and tiger habitat at the Mirage, the dancing fountains at the Bellagio, and the pirate battle at Treasure Island.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

There's also downtown Las Vegas, which is cheaper than the strip.