User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Is this like a private joke or am I missing something?
    Yeah I don't get this either. I go to the library once a week. I don't notice whether everyone is poor or rich there. Where are the rich people supposed to study?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post
    Yeah I don't get this either. I go to the library once a week. I don't notice whether everyone is poor or rich there. Where are the rich people supposed to study?
    Totally agreed.

MBTI
    INTP

My father never visited a public library in his life. Why, there is real people there.
    I do not think he ever stepped inside a tram or a bus either. He always travelled first class. Even when he took an airoplane. What a fool.
    I always wandered about those people in the first class. Even as a child, I felt myself removed from them.
    Once I watched a woman in the first class. It was a train. There were only the two of us in the compartment. I was fifteen or something.
    She read a Christian newpaper. I did not get it.
    A Christian woman, afraid of the people. Did Christ tell her to be afraid of the people?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Doctor's office is a more confined space with practically guaranteed sick people. So.. that one
    If you really want to get sick, go hang out at the ER, that's where the really sick people go.

I'm poor and I don't go to the library because they charge late fees.
    Christ, what an imagination I've got!

MBTI
    INFx

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    on a related note, do you find the chance of catching a common cold or similar illness/malady more likely at the public library or in the waiting room of the doctor's office? also discuss.
    I wouldn't think it much different from most public places. Just make sure you give all the books you check out from public libraries a good wipe with a moist towel before reading them and you should be fine.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by cloakofsnow View Post
    I wouldn't think it much different from most public places. Just make sure you give all the books you check out from public libraries a good wipe with a moist towel before reading them and you should be fine.
    Yeah, really. Worry more about the handle on your shopping cart. Babies slobber all over them.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I've never heard that. It's for literate people.
    ^Exactly.

I am the opposite of poor and I love the library.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Yeah, really. Worry more about the handle on your shopping cart. Babies slobber all over them.
    Plus money is covered in germs, shopping makes me sick in more ways than one.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Plus money is covered in germs, shopping makes me sick in more ways than one.
    I was working during the summer and this man takes his money out of his shoe, it was totally drenched in sweat---foot sweat!---I used a pen to flick the money to the side, I refused to touch it. Later the manager told me I could have refused to take the money in that state to begin with. Well, think about that next time ya'll flip through a stack of bills, licking your fingers as you go---yuck!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    You get all sort of people here in Canadian public libraries. I know here in BC, literacy and going to the library is heavily promoted. Most cities provide good funding to purchase new books etc.
    Yup, BC has pretty decent libraries. I just wish that VPL had less reference books and more "actually let you take a 500 page book home" books. Bleh.

It's certainly not targeted at poor here, but I don't think it is terribly popular for the rich either. The middle class also seems to be less into it now that the internet is around. I know that I haven't gone in many years, ever since I couldn't get the fantasy/sci-fi novels I want. That was the last straw for me - I couldn't get the financial reference books I wanted years before that, and now I couldn't find entertaining books either. On the other hand, I just finished my 8th novel this week from WebScription Ebooks

Catching diseases... I think it's more likely to occur on public transit as compared to libraries. People aren't exactly as jammed pack in there.
    My company did a survey on this - strong correlation between sick days and public transit. Wouldn't say it is causation, but is suggestive.