User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Smile Movie and TV show recommendations Please!

I've just been trying to figure out some movies to rent and thought some of you might have good recommendations.

So just post movies or tv shows that you really like, if you want to relate them to the personality types that you think would most enjoy them, then great. And if you think there's something that I would really like, even better.

Heres a few that come to mind (mostly ones from my dvd shelf), although there are a lot more that I just can't think of

Oh yea, I'm quite keen to try out some anime, so if anyone had any good suggestions there, it'd be much appreciated!

Movies I love

Lost in Translation
    City of Lost Children
    Amelie
    Spirited Away
    Donny Darko
    The Importance of Being Ernest
    Monty Python
    The Princess Bride
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    The Matrix (first one..)
    V for Vendetta
    Godsford Park
    Waking Life
    A Scanner Darkly
    Before Sunset
    Before Sunrise
    Dead Poets Society
    eXistenZ

TV Shows I love

Jeeves and Wooster
    A Bit of Fry and Laurie
    Lost
    House
    Heroes (first season)
    Blackadder
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

TV shows: The Simpsons, Doctor Who, 7th Heaven, Everwood, Monty Python, Boy Meets World, The State, Lizzie McGuire, Quantum Leap, Garfield & Friends, Seinfeld, NYPD Blue, Homicide, Phil of The Future, Futurama, Family Ties, Just The Ten Of Us, Growing Pains, My So-Called Life, Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show, Even Stevens, Superbook, Flying House, Robotech, The Transformers, TV 101, I Love the 80's, America' Top Ten, Andy Richter Controls the Universe

Movies: Field of Dreams, The Shawshank Redemption, Philadelphia, The Neverending Story, A League of Their Own, Speed, A Cinderella Story, Back to the Future trilogy, Austin Powers, Steel Magnolias, Airplane, Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, 50 First Dates, Finding Nemo, Scooby Doo, Loaded Weapon 1, Hot Shots, The Three Amigos, Mystery Date, Lizzie McGuire, Billy Madison.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    Jeeves and Wooster
    A Bit of Fry and Laurie
    House
    Blackadder
    A movie list would mostly consist of old movies, many b/w and would take too much time to sort through, so I'll stick to Office Space, Dogma, Waking Ned Devine, any of Bill Forsyth's work, especially Local Hero or Comfort and Joy.

If four of the tv shows you mentioned indicate an interest in Hugh Laurie, there's not much to add since those include his best work and are already among my favorites. Instead let me suggest non-Laurie, British shows - comedy: Red Dwarf (Blackadder in space(?)), Mulberry (a storyline never completed, but still enjoyable), Waiting for God. Not comedy: House of Cards/To Play the King are interesting and there is a third, final show, but it's not as interesting as the first two. Also interesting and well done, any of the Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett. If you can watch region 2 or VHS, Edge of Darkness which includes a nice score by Eric Clapton.

My favorite Anime series fall into the fluff category, but they include Slayers, You're Under Arrest and Oh, My Goddess.

Then there's Pratchett's Hogfather, and The Colour of Magic (another region 2, for now, but showing in the US on March 22.)
    Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

TV Shows:
    - NCIS
    - Numb3rs
    - The Mentalist
    - 11th Hour
    - CSI
    - House

Movies:
    - The Illusionist
    - Apollo 13
    - Enemy At The Gates
    - October Sky
    *Lots of others but these are my favorite.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Accept View Post
    A movie list would mostly consist of old movies, many b/w and would take too much time to sort through, so I'll stick to Office Space, Dogma, Waking Ned Devine, any of Bill Forsyth's work, especially Local Hero or Comfort and Joy.

If four of the tv shows you mentioned indicate an interest in Hugh Laurie, there's not much to add since those include his best work and are already among my favorites. Instead let me suggest non-Laurie, British shows - comedy: Red Dwarf (Blackadder in space(?)), Mulberry (a storyline never completed, but still enjoyable), Waiting for God. Not comedy: House of Cards/To Play the King are interesting and there is a third, final show, but it's not as interesting as the first two. Also interesting and well done, any of the Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett. If you can watch region 2 or VHS, Edge of Darkness which includes a nice score by Eric Clapton.

My favorite Anime series fall into the fluff category, but they include Slayers, You're Under Arrest and Oh, My Goddess.

Then there's Pratchett's Hogfather, and The Colour of Magic (another region 2, for now, but showing in the US on March 22.)
    Thanks for those! I do like British humor and haven't seen most of these.

I have seen both those Terry Pratchett movies, I'm a big fan of the books.
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Ahh! You like Before Sunrise and Before Sunset!

Let's see....Have you seen any other Miyazaki films like Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky or Howl's Moving Castle. I heartily recommend those.

Also, there is another Studio Ghibli film written by Miyazaki but not directed by him. It is called Whisper of the Heart. If you like quiet and heartfelt dramas you will love that film. The atmosphere and the tone of the movie radiates pure wistful happiness.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    Ahh! You like Before Sunrise and Before Sunset!
    Yea, they're great!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    Let's see....Have you seen any other Miyazaki films like Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky or Howl's Moving Castle. I heartily recommend those.

Also, there is another Studio Ghibli film written by Miyazaki but not directed by him. It is called Whisper of the Heart. If you like quiet and heartfelt dramas you will love that film. The atmosphere and the tone of the movie radiates pure wistful happiness.
    I've only seen Howl's Moving Castle, which I really liked.
    I'll be sure to look for the other ones, thanks!
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    INFP

TV shows:
    -Rescue me
    -Rome
    -Trailer park boys
    -Weeds
    -Dexter
    -Dead like me

Movies:
    -Emma
    -The Family man
    -Mall rats
    -fight club
    -Snatch
    -Under the tuscan sun
    -Queen of the damnd
    -Into the wild

Anime:
    -Slayers
    -Escaflone
    -Rurouni Kenshin
    -coyboy bebop

MBTI
    INTJ

Cool, I love a lot of that stuff myself, like Before Sunset and Before Sunrise. You seem to have an affinity for philosophical and kind of quirky stuff, with a dash of romance. :P

I think the best TV show ever is Battlestar Galactica, which is not a typical sci-fi show, but it's about human nature and is deeply philosophical. Characters are deeply dynamical, there is no black and white, and one can always relate... It's not about action, it's about psychology... The deepest show on TV. (Remember to watch the mini-series before you begin seeing the first season, otherwise it won't make sense.)

Another deeply fascinating show on the psychological level is Dexter, which is about the serial killer Dexter.

If you haven't seen any Hitchcock movies, I can recommend for example Psycho. Just brilliant psychological stuff, and I loved it in spite of normally disliking old movies. A couple of obvious ones are American Beauty, WALL-E, Requiem for a Dream, The Pianist, Pan's Labyrinth, Oldboy, Clerks, Little Miss Sunshine, Magnolia, Juno, Good Will Hunting - just to recommend some IMDb top 250 stuff. Those are movies on that list I think would fit you...

Everything I have mentioned is highly acclaimed, as I only recommend acclaimed stuff to others...
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amad Mozart