User Tag List

Thread: Give a Short Lecture on Something You Know About

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar

Default Give a Short Lecture on Something You Know About

Most, if not all of us have probably developed some specialized knowledge in some area just due to our exposure and comprehension. For some people that area will be academic, for others it'll be domestic, for others it'll be something they have been observing for a long time. Don't be shy! Teach us something.

Length: Aim for 5-10 paragraphs.
    Headings: Include headings wherever possible.
    Title: Be sure to give your post a Title by going to "Go Advanced" before you post.
    Responses: Ideally, I would like to keep this thread limited to lectures. Please respond only if you want clarification or to contest some information. If you want to thank people, use the Rep System or leave them a visitor message. Praise and prattle will be moved here. For other discussions on a certain post, check for links in that post.
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 03-11-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Default A lecture on lazy dieting.

I'm going to start out simple I've developed a few skills when it comes to eating healthier on a lazy budget. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not the healthiest person when it comes to cooking and eating, but I do love to do both!

So simple things.. first, vitamins and minerals! You need a lot of them, and I'd rather pull my own teeth than swallow those borderline-suppository multi-vitamins.. so I eat Total cereal, and mix one of those breakfast essential vanilla-flavor packets full of crap my body needs in the morning in the milk. It's quick and keeps my energy up. I'm not a morning person, or a breakfast person, so this gives me what I need without too much fuss. Also, if you hate cereal that's good for you, I used to mix things like lucky charms with the not-so-cool stuff.

Also, if you're too lazy to drink hot tea but want the benefits of it, try mixing it into oatmeal or hot cereal. Red tea is all the rage because it's good for you, but I think it's so dreary tasting in comparison to some brighter flavors, so I sweeten it with splenda (the fiber kind with 1gram of fiber to give some benefits to the sweetening) and replace the hot boiling water with hot red tea.

There's little things I do like replacing table salt with Mrs. Dash and potato chips get replaced with baked varieties, pretzels, flat-earth brand, etc. but a good way to help you remember to drink water is to hold onto the bottle with your hand. Holding something in your hand tends to remind you it's there, so you're more likely to drink it instead of just letting it sit all day on your desk nearly 5 inches away. Also, if you're having trouble drinking something for whatever reason (sore throat, taste, etc.) taking some into your mouth and just holding it in there makes you subconsciously want to get rid of it to free your mouth.

I tend to buy breads that advertise double fiber, whole grain, etc., V8 fusion that gives you a serving each of fruits and vegetables, Flat Earth chips instead of doritos, cereal with more benefits, etc. Replacing what you normally eat with something that's nearly the exact same thing with a bit more for you really does pay off a lot, imo. I have the attitude that a bit is better than nothing, and I firmly believe saying you're going to eat something slightly better for you will do you a lot better than just saying "If I'm going to diet, I'm going to do it all the way!" and then slacking off.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Just a statistic Array rhinosaur's Avatar

Okay, here's a quickie.

How to Roll a Kayak
    by rhinosaur

If you're learning how to kayak, one of the first things you need to know is how to roll yourself upright if you've flipped upside down. This is commonly called 'rolling,' though you may hear some old-school boaters call it by its older name, the 'eskimo roll.' You should also know that there are several types of rolls, including the back deck roll, the sweep roll, hand roll, or offside roll. For this little lecture I will focus on the on-side c-to-c roll, which is the roll most people start with. The mechanics of all those other rolls are not significantly different from the c-to-c roll, and once you are proficient you may find yourself rolling upright without even realizing which type of roll you're using.

The c-to-c roll is so named because of the curvature your torso takes while performing this maneuver. Naturally, you start upright in the water, sealed into your kayak with a skirt. If you are learning in a pool or lake you do not need a life jacket, though it is necessary to have a spotter while first learning. This friend should be able to get you back upright in your boat so you don't have to swim out and dump water out of your boat every time you miss a roll. Ideally they should be a boater themelves, so they can observe you and help you get the feel for a good roll. It is also a good idea to use nose plugs, which will preserve your sinuses and prevent an automatic panic reaction that occurs when water goes into them.

Begin by flipping the boat. This is more complicated than it sounds, because your paddle will give a lot of drag on your way over, and a roll will never work if you're only halfway upside down. Flipping is easiest if you hold the paddle parallel to the side of the craft, keeping a natural grip on the shaft. Once you are over, it's a good idea to wait a few seconds, and go through things in your mind before you begin the maneuver.

The c-to-c roll is typically broken up into three steps:
    1) Reach for the sky, setting up in the first "c." Your paddle should still be parallel to the boat. If you are right handed, your torso should be curved to the left, and your right ear should be close to your left knee.
    2) Using your whole body, sweep the right blade flat against the water until it's at an angle of about 30-45 to the boat.
    3) Snap your hips to put your boat underneath you, using your paddle as leverage. In a correctly executed roll, the paddle blade actually plays a very minor roll, and the hip snap is what does the trick. At the end of the roll, your body should be in the second "c," this time curved to the right, with your left ear near your right knee. Your head should be the last thing to come up.

If you are left handed, just substitute "right" for "left" and vice versa in the above steps.

Common problem areas:
    - Not reaching for the sky: If your paddle is underwater, it will be very difficult or impossible to complete this roll.
    - Overextending in the sweep: If you try to put your blade closer to 90 to the boat, your right blade will dip underwater, and you will lose virtually all leverage it will provide.
    - Overreliance on the paddle: Think of it as putting your boat underneath you, not as putting yourself upright. If you panic and try to get your head above water first, at best you'll wind up in a very unstable position with the boat on its side and your body weight supported by the paddle. Instead, focus on the hip snap, and keep your face as close to the water as possible.

Changing your oil.

When one goes to change their oil there are two things that must be changed. The oil filter and of course the oil itself.

When it comes to oil filter types there are many different brands, and every brand has basically the same structure and design. Don't feel that being cheap when it comes to choosing an oil filter can be detrimental to your engine's health. Don't be lured in by expensive 'performance' filters that claim they withstand multiple oil changes, often multiple regular oil filters can be purchased for such a price and not changing your filter with your oil will usually go directly against the manufacturer's warranty.

Next you must choose your oil. There are two factors that go into choosing which oil to use; brand and weight. Going cheap on a type of oil typically isn't a good idea, most cheap oils are cheaply produced, and while they do lubricate just as well as their other counterparts the tend to leave buildup (sludge) behind if the motor has a propensity to burn oil. On the other hand expensive synthetic oil is an utter waste of money. There is no advantage to running a fully synthetic blend in your car. None. There is no magical property to oil that will get you 10 miles per gallon, or make it stand up to 10k miles between changes. For most normal gasoline engines I'd recommend Castrol or Valvoline brands. (DISCLAIMER: I know a lot of performance motors require synthetic zero weights, required by bullshit warranties.)

The second part of choosing which oil is going to be the weight. 10-30, 5-30, 5-20, etc. Most late model cars under warranty will state it's oil weight requirement either on the oil cap itself, the catalyst sticker, or the owner's manual. Late model vehicles often require pretty light-weight oil, 5-20's and 5-30's. Newer engine designs feature smaller ducts that lighter wait oil can travel through more easily and lubricate better, though the drawback to having lighter oil means it will often burn much quicker. If you are out of warranty you are probably safe and better off going to higher weight oils. The 'order' or weights in oil are as follows: 5-20, 5-30, 10-30, 10-40, 15-40, 20-50. How much you'll need I'll get to later.

As for the tools of changing oil, well, you'll need a wrench or ratchet/socket combo for the drain plug, and it may also be a good idea to get a jointed oil filter wrench (double jointed is even better), or a band wrench to remove the oil filter. Often times when you have your oil changed the filter will be installed with a filter wrench and will be extremely difficult to remove by hand. You'll need a drain pan of some sort to collect the used oil. Used oil can be dropped off at most quick lube locations, or some auto parts stores, call in advance to be sure. Also if you have a small car you'll probably need wheel ramps of some sort if it is too low to the ground, or a floor jack. Don't attempt to change your oil if your car is being supported by the jacks you use to change your tire, that is just asking for trouble. Oh, and you'll need rags of some sort, and some good gritty soap.

Remove the drain plug from the oil pan and let it drain for a good 10 minutes, its basically impossible to completely drain all the oil so don't feel bad if there is still a small trickle of oil still going. Reinstall the drain plug, it is very important that you get it snug but don't over tighten it, otherwise you'll strip out the threads on either the drain plug or the oil pan itself. This is a bad thing.

Next you'll need to locate the oil filter. Given it isn't a cannister style it shouldn't be too hard to find, but there are some notorious models that they are insanely hard to change yourself. Most can only be changed from underneath, but there are some common models that the oil filter can be changed from underneath the hood. The filter will have oil inside it so be prepared for more to leak out when you unscrew it, unfortunately some are oriented in a way that will make a mess on your motor so be prepared with rags. Inspect the used oil filter and make sure there is a gasket still on it, if there isn't check the mounting plate for the oil filter and you'll most likely find it stuck there. Before installing the new filter dip your finger in some clean oil and run it around the gasket, this will prevent the oil filter gasket from fusing to the base plate and making it difficult to remove in the future. Screw it down, if it is easy to access you can tighten it wholly by hand, otherwise give it a few turns with a filter wrench.

Next simply add the oil. If you are unsure how much you'll need start out with 3.5 quarts and check the dipstick (give it a little time to settle). Keep adding until it is at or little above the 'Full' mark on the dipstick. Hop in your car, and start it. Wait for the oil pressure gauge to lift, and/or the oil light to turn off. If it doesn't, SHUT IT OFF, you did something wrong. While it's still running get out and ensure that you aren't leaking from the drain plug or the filter. Turn off your motor and check the oil level after its settled a bit, it should have gone down from where you filled it, and this is normal as it has sucked oil into the oil filter. Top off the oil accordingly and crack open a beer.

FINAL DISCLAIMER: The above is true for... 80-90% of the vehicles out there in the U.S. There are cannister style filters that often require special tools to change. There are screen filters. There are diesel motors, (nothing too different, they use 15-40 weights and usually take much more oil), diffuser/skid plates that will often need to be removed, etc etc etc, none of which that I covered too well.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

4w3 sx/so
    eNFJ Ni

Default How To Properly Utilize a Difficult Color

"Anything goes" has been the theme for many years now since this decade's identity has been even less determined and solid than the 90s. My ENTJ gf asked me how one is to properly match such strange conflicting colors popular in the present fashion market.

The answer: You can't. Besides, matchy-matchy is yesterday's news.

When matching is out of the question or physically impossible, one is to aim for contrast and pattern symbiosis. Here's what I told her:

Example: an acid green summer-weight sweater dress. Exotic but troublesome shade prone to abuse and hard to accessorize without accidentally leaning towards the baroque.

1. You must never be one solid color (particularly an odd color) from head to foot without a break in the action. A pin, a scarf, a handbag, a texture that off-sets the monochrome. The cabled texture of the dress is a help, the shape simple and close-fitting, the hem below the mid-thigh which makes it semi-dressy, not casual, so casual additions or fabrics will clash (meaning no knit interlock, matte polyester, etc.)

2. Matching is ruled out. Contrast is sought. My sister's choice - Chinese enamel red. Not only is this complimentary to the acid yellow-green, it's a similar clear "value".

3. Exotic color = exotic locations. Stick with the 40s/50s aesthetic. Open-toed shoes of enamel red to anchor. A belt of Asian print ribbon. Small red and white flowers in the hair. Red lipstick. Hose, if worn, should be of a neutral value and vaguely shiny, not matte. Silk stockings were/are not matte. ( I own a pair) I know how popular dark tights are becoming, but resist the urge to wear them with everything, esp in dressy situations.

4. An addition I made: a pair of very old sparkly green and gold costume jewelry clip-on earrings used as shoe clips, bought at a thrift store for $5. Tres chic! Shiny and detailed well below eye level adds subtle interest. Gold is the proper metal to compliment this shade of green-yellow -- silver is too cold, copper too muddy. Do not wear an ankle bracelet - incongruously casual and modern.

5. Consider turquoise blue or black with pink accent. Brown with purple and magenta. Yellow with white and gold. Make a study of John Galliano, Betsey Johnson or Dolce and Gabbana for a way to corral riotous colors in a tasteful manner.

I'm taking suggestions for a black/white polka dotted peplum I own. Also, a pair of brown awning-striped gangster pants that pull up to the knee. A green 60s rayon waist coat-styled jacket. A steel blue/black mesh bustier top. Hollah!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar

Default Transactional Analysis ~ Social Psychology Theory by Erick Berne

Transactional Analysis is the theory of Erick Berne developed in the late 1950. Berne was post-Freudian psychologist (though he's calls himself extra-Freudian) who studied that way people interact and came up with an interesting way to classify and see through these interactions.

Egoic States
    Berne hypothesized that people transition between 3 ego states: Parent, Adult, and Child. Parent states are either critical or nurturing. Adult states are logical and information seeking. Child states are playful or childish. There are a few more elaborations, but I'm leaving them out for now. Berne thought that we flip in and out of these states throughout our day, depending on what situation we're in. These are different from the Id, Ego, Superego states that Freud presented. Egoic states come complete with sets of feelings, reactions, ideas, and beliefs.

Basic Transactions

A basic transaction (exchange) between two people involves dialogue from from of these ego states to another. For example:

Person A: How's your day going? (Adult)
    Person B: Good, you? (Adult)
    Personal A: I'm totally not in the mood to work. I'd rather go to the beach! (Child)
    Person B: Try and be responsible for one! (Parent)
    Person: You're no fun. (Child)

Here we see how the dialogue started in one egoic state for both players (Adult to Adult) and quickly turned into a Child/Parent dynamic. Here's another example:

Person A: Did you hear about Brangelina? They's such losers. They need to get their shit together. (Parent)
    Person B: I totally agree. What were they thinking? (Parent)

Dynamics are stable when they are complimentary, meaning each corresponding player responds with what the first is expecting. So an unstable dynamic might be something like this:

Person A: Did you hear about Brangelina? They's such losers. They need to get their shit together. (Parent)
    Person B: I don't know, I try not to judge people. (Adult)
    Person A: What do you mean? What's wrong with you? (Parent talking down to Child)
    Person B: What the hell is your problem? You sound totally immature. (Parent to Child)

Person A was expecting B to respond with a Parent ego, but B surprised A. When A tried to talk down to B (expecting B would behave like a child and apologize or give in) B surprised A again and responded from his Parent. And so, the dynamic becomes increasingly unstable and will likely end in a fight or someone storming out.

Berne's most notable contribution was his theory of Transactional Games. He published a book called "Games People Play" that became enormously popular and started a pop psychology movement. The book catalogues 20 or 30 games and also has its own vocabulary which makes it semi-culty but readable and engaging.

A game is an exchange with an underlying motive (and an underlying ego state that is transacting). So for example, someone might say "Hey, I love that shirt on you. It makes your chest look much better." Berne would say that the player appears to be conveying facts from an Adult ego state, but is really trying to sneak in an insult from the Parent ego state. The duplicity involved qualifies this is a game. Some of Berne's most famous games are "Now I got you you sunnuvabitch" (NIGYYSB), "Kick me," "Why don't you? -- yes but" (YDYB), "Why does this always happen to me?" (WAHM), and Rapo (a game where one player flirts with the other but then pretends like s/he wasn't flirting at all and acts offended). The object of a game is to procure a payoff which can come in the form of biological strokes (relief in the form of recognition, validation, justification, etc.) that reinforces a player's life scripts (ideas we carry from a young age about our position in life).

Here's one example of YDYB:

A: I need to find a job. (Child pretending to be Adult)
    B: Have you tried Craiglist? (Adult)
    A: There's nothing good there. (C as A)
    B: How about networking? (Adult)
    A: I don't know any one. (C as A)
    B: Well have you contacted your alma mater?! (Parent)
    A: They're too hard to get a hold of? (C as A)
    C: Sounds rough, wow. I know what you mean. (Parent)
    A: Yeah, it's really tough finding a job. (C as A)

By playing a game, pretending to analyze options but really just looking to shoot them down, A is able to reinforce his view that finding a job is hard and that it's not his fault he can't do it, and that he has no power to make such a decision (Life Script). A relieves himself of blame and finds that he is justified in his position.

Final Thoughts
    Berne's stuff is interesting. The first half of "Games People Play" was an overview of Transactional Analysis and read like a mix of philosophy and psychology. The second half which discusses the actual games, was kind of disappointing and sloppy, like it was written by a pothead. I find his framework useful insofar as you can notice when people shift into Parent and Child states, and you can see how they compliment one another. His idea about Life Scripts is pure gold.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Default Conversing versus Lecturing

A lecture is the perfect example of inequality.

How we love to be lectured and how we love to lecture.

Indeed those who have been lectured, lecture in return.

It is the quintessential authoritarian relationship.

It is meant to bring order to chaos just as the Military bring order to the battlefield.

It finds its origin in Prussian pedagogy. And interestingly, it is on Prussian pedagogy that our present school system is based.

But it appeals to the worst in us.

And it undermines our best ideals of liberty and equality.

But my father told me I should never criticise without offering an alternative.

And the alternative is staring us in the face.

And it is conversation.

Yes, conversing is the antidote to lecturing.

The lecture hall, with all of us fixed in our seats, lends itself to Prussian lecturing.

We are a captive audience.

But we can end our captivity simply by talking to one another rather than listening to the lecturer.

Alas, all we have learnt at school is how to listen to a lecture. We have not yet learnt how to converse amongst ourselves.

But just as we learnt to read and write at school, we can learn to converse on the internet.

In fact we ourselves should open a free and equal space where we can learn to converse.

We could call it, "Practising Empathy".

Where we could practise the simple rules of empathy until they become second nature.

And where we could transform ourselves from half mad authoritarians to creative conversationalists.

There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on