User Tag List

View Poll Results: How religious are you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all; I'm an atheist.

9 20.93%
  • Not at all; I'm an agnostic.

11 25.58%
  • Somewhat; I have vague, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

5 11.63%
  • Somewhat; I have some faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

1 2.33%
  • Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

4 9.30%
  • Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

13 30.23%
  • I believe in evolution

21 48.84%
  • I don't believe in evolution

7 16.28%
  • I don't know whether I believe in evolution

4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default How religious are you?

I'm making the poll multiple so that people can vote on evolution separately. Please choose one option from options 1-6 AND one option from options 7-9.

For the purposes of this poll I'd ordinarily group atheism and agnosticism together, but I'd like to see how the J/P divide turns out on that one.

I insist on the metaphysical component of religion; if you're in the "I subscribe to the morality of religion X, I just don't believe in its God et cetera" camp, then you're an atheist/agnostic, get used to it.

Feel free to post a specification of your beliefs.

Edit: Would a mod/admin please delete the redundant "religious" from options 3 and 5? Thanks in advance!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

what are the evolution options doing on a poll about religion?
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jasz View Post
    what are the evolution options doing on a poll about religion?
    The poll was inspired by this post where I took evolution for granted. I couldn't help but wonder whether doing so was controversial, given that I've seen quite a few religious references on this board, and, well, we hear things in Europe about American fundamentalism. (Yes, I know there is more to the US than the Bible Belt.) I'd like to know to what extent I can take for granted in a context like this one that even decidedly religious people believe in evolution.

Oberon

When you say "believe in evolution," that really begs the question. Do you mean 1) "believe in evolution" as a materialist narrative explaining the existence of life? Or do you mean 2) "believe in evolution" as a physical mechanism that produces biodiversity? Or do you mean 3) "believe in evolution" as the process of adaptive stimulus-and-response over successive generations within a species?

The third option is demonstrable in a laboratory. The second is still subject to investigation, as the theory has a few inadequacies, but nonetheless it's the best model going. The first, well, that's a matter of faith, isn't it? =]

Enneagram
    1w2

Can you explain what difference you're trying to tease out with these options?

Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    When you say "believe in evolution," that really begs the question.
    I'd (figure out and then) explain which one of your options I meant but I see that you've already voted without waiting for me to do so so my Te doesn't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Can you explain what difference you're trying to tease out with these options?
    <unbearable J alert>

(Ps, I'm telling you, you don't want to read this! )

Yeah, it's related to my interest in finding out with whom I can take evolution for granted. I expect that there might be a difference between "new agers" and "traditionalists".

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'd (figure out and then) explain which one of your options I meant but I see that you've already voted without waiting for me to do so so my Te doesn't see the point.
    I picked "I don't know" because of my uncertainty regarding your meaning. For more information about my beliefs on the matter, see my previous post.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    I picked "I don't know" because of my uncertainty regarding your meaning.
    Well, you could have waited for me to explain my meaning.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I would like to see it answered before I vote.

<unbearable J alert>

(Ps, I'm telling you, you don't want to read this! )

Yeah, it's related to my interest in finding out with whom I can take evolution for granted. I expect that there might be a difference between "new agers" and "traditionalists".
    Yes, you won't hear me wanting to burn you alive. I'm smart enough to see what you're actually talking about first, then decide whether or not I wish to remain or participate.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Well, you could have waited for me to explain my meaning.
    The information at hand was sufficient to produce an answer that fit within the context of your question, so it worked for me.

Whether or not the answer is of value to you is rather your problem, not mine.

However, you may want to explore the three options somewhat further if you don't want to face the same issue from other voters going forward.