User Tag List

View Poll Results: How religious are you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all; I'm an atheist.

9 20.93%
  • Not at all; I'm an agnostic.

11 25.58%
  • Somewhat; I have vague, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

5 11.63%
  • Somewhat; I have some faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

1 2.33%
  • Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

4 9.30%
  • Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

13 30.23%
  • I believe in evolution

21 48.84%
  • I don't believe in evolution

7 16.28%
  • I don't know whether I believe in evolution

4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 456

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Who knows? We might be into devolution now.
    Well, theory suggests that evolution goes in all directions.

MBTI
    lego

I managed to make some powerful strides in becoming more tolerant of other people by adopting a very loose understanding of the tenets of Norse mythology. What particularly helped was coming to understand the perspective of living with a full, vivid, real expectation that the end-times are imminent. Living not so much to die, but moreso to find the beauty in destruction, to live to witness the last breaths of the world . . .

I've largely moved on from this system, having returned to a rather elaborate take on possible worlds beyond that perceivable in waking "reality."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Not to put to fine a point on it, but who the hell are you to make this claim?

(It's nothing personal, but one of my biggest pet peeves in the entire whole wide world is when people who don't have any substantial knowledge of science, biology, and the workings of evolution offhandedly dismiss evolution or large parts of it. It's akin to when Random Guy whose CD collection doesn't include anything that wasn't at some point or another on the Billboard Top 40 says the works of Beethoven are "shit".)

Edit: Note that I said substantial knowledge. I'm talking about being an expert in a relevant field. Not book knowledge and a few college courses under your belt.

Well, first understand that this is simply a post made on a message board, and I'm not out openly campaigning for anything. Having said that I have an MS in Applied Mathematics and most of my objections are of a mathematical nature. Also, I'm certainly not the first mathematician to point out weaknesses or inconsistancies in the Theory of Evolution. As a whole evolution lacks mathematical rigor. An average biologist does not need (or have) the mathematical skill of the average chemist or (especially) physicist. Because of this you might imagine that parts of some explanations might be revised if they were examined more closely with a more rigorous mathematical perspective.

So when I said, "I believe many parts of the theory are true, some parts I am not sure about, and other parts need some significant revision." The parts that I believe are true are most of the ideas I have learned about it and learned in various college courses or independant reading. The parts I am not sure about are either parts I have not learned or parts that do not make sense, but involve fields where my knowledge is limited. The parts that need some significant revision are either those which ignore certain calculations, places where I doubt the rigor to which certain mathematical methods were applied, or parts which seem to have logical inconsistancies with other scientific theories.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well, first understand that this is simply a post made on a message board, and I'm not out openly campaigning for anything. Having said that I have an MS in Applied Mathematics and most of my objections are of a mathematical nature. Also, I'm certainly not the first mathematician to point out weaknesses or inconsistancies in the Theory of Evolution. As a whole evolution lacks mathematical rigor. An average biologist does not need (or have) the mathematical skill of the average chemist or (especially) physicist. Because of this you might imagine that parts of some explanations might be revised if they were examined more closely with a more rigorous mathematical perspective.

So when I said, "I believe many parts of the theory are true, some parts I am not sure about, and other parts need some significant revision." The parts that I believe are true are most of the ideas I have learned about it and learned in various college courses or independant reading. The parts I am not sure about are either parts I have not learned or parts that do not make sense, but involve fields where my knowledge is limited. The parts that need some significant revision are either those which ignore certain calculations, places where I doubt the rigor to which certain mathematical methods were applied, or parts which seem to have logical inconsistancies with other scientific theories.
    Fair enough.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --