User Tag List

View Poll Results: How religious are you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all; I'm an atheist.

9 20.93%
  • Not at all; I'm an agnostic.

11 25.58%
  • Somewhat; I have vague, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

5 11.63%
  • Somewhat; I have some faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

1 2.33%
  • Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

4 9.30%
  • Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

13 30.23%
  • I believe in evolution

21 48.84%
  • I don't believe in evolution

7 16.28%
  • I don't know whether I believe in evolution

4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 3456 Last

I believe in God but I'm not married to any particular religion theologically. If I have to define my beliefs, I'd say I am a theist. I think God leaves us alone for the most part so as not to tamper with free will, which I see as the most vital component of the God/man relationship.

I was raised Catholic and though I do not practice, I'm okay with identifying myself as such because I believe Catholicism is as much cultural as religious. In addition, I think all major religions have a healthy mix of sincerity and flaw, so I don't feel that on the rare occasion I attend church that my choice of a Catholic church requires that I fully subscribe to its dogma or that I defend its moral lapses.

Finally, I believe in evolution and I don't see any conflict between the discoveries of science and the existence of God. I think that creationists and fundamentalists give Christianity a bad name.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, you have to admit, Jesus is one helluva goalie!

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Well, you have to admit, Jesus is one helluva goalie!
    Putting his skill aside, imagine having Jesus as your goalie. Who is going to have the brass to fire a puck at him at all?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    But doesn't this make everyone who does not believe in God an agnostic rather than an atheist? If de facto proof is required for you to consider yourself a true atheist then there are no true atheists, because that proof can never be provided.
    Yes, one implies another (in the case of the belief in skepticism and the lack of belief in the super natural) but they are not by definition exclusive (or inclusive).

A lot of it has to do with the strength of atheism - the concept that we are atheist to every god that has never been thought of before (ie: a lack of belief) rather than an atheist to a particular theistic belief (ie: I have no belief in the Xian God).

Gnostic believes in the supremacy of knowledge - that is, you know for certain that something is true. As in, "God exists" or "God does not exist". Agnostics are without the belief in the supremacy of knowledge, meaning "I don't know if god does or does not exist". It is a form of skepticism.

One can say that there is no such thing as the supernatural, and as such, no such thing as divinity (as a logical proof or as a belief), creating a gnostic atheist. Just as one can say that they believe or see God's hand but are unsure if the evidence can only lead to that conclusion, creating an agnostic theist.

The narrowest domain does exist in the agnostic atheists, but essentially says that one will have no belief in the super natural because of skepticism of the evidence presented for it, or they are skeptical of the evidence presented for theism, and therefore do not have belief in what is claimed. (In practical use since this assumes a certain conjuction of the terms that may not be perfectly literal).

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I voted for "Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion" and "I do not believe in evolution" even though "unknown" might have been a more appropriate response. I believe many parts of the theory are true, some parts I am not sure about, and other parts need some significant revision.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Not at all; I am an atheist.
    I believe in evolution.

I was raised fundy baptist, creation in 4004 BC, global flood, noah's ark, literal inerrant bible and all that good stuff. In June '05 I figured it was time to read through the bible since I hadn't done it yet. I was an atheist by October. I realized that with the thousands of versions of christian theology it all comes down to personal opinion. There is no objective way to interpret the bible.

So now I'm a skeptical apatheist. Is there a god? I see no reason to think there is. Could there be a god? Don't know, don't care. If I should happen to be wrong and god does exist I'll rape his face.

If god does exist he is useless. He isn't down here feeding the hungry, healing the sick and stopping wars. Real or not we're better off assuming he isn't.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm hard to place. I follow the teachings of Jesus as close as reasonably possible, much as Buddhists follows the teachings of Siddhartha. I believe it is positive for people to do so, but I don't expect it of anyone, nor do I try to convert them. I believe in a life form that is not limited to time and space that most call God and that everything exists due to this being which is omnipotent from our perspective, and that this being wants us to have absolute freedom within the simplest framework of constraints, therefore my political ideology and mentality about others follows this. I do not attend church services of any denomination, except with family, because very few of these people follow the teachings they claim to.

However, I do not believe in "Evolution" because it cannot be proven, while I absolutely believe in specialization.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    ...and other parts need some significant revision.
    Not to put to fine a point on it, but who the hell are you to make this claim?

(It's nothing personal, but one of my biggest pet peeves in the entire whole wide world is when people who don't have any substantial knowledge of science, biology, and the workings of evolution offhandedly dismiss evolution or large parts of it. It's akin to when Random Guy whose CD collection doesn't include anything that wasn't at some point or another on the Billboard Top 40 says the works of Beethoven are "shit".)

Edit: Note that I said substantial knowledge. I'm talking about being an expert in a relevant field. Not book knowledge and a few college courses under your belt.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    However, I do not believe in "Evolution" because it cannot be proven, while I absolutely believe in specialization.
    I'm the same way about evolution. It makes sense, but technically, creationism also makes sense. Who knows? Maybe the world was created by God in 6 days. It's impossible to know any of it unless you have first-hand experience. Beyond that, everything is either true or untrue.

I tend to enjoy going with Descartes' ideas (I can also go with Spinoza, but Descartes has a cooler haircut!) or even Anton LaVey. Basically, the mind gives us knowledge of God, so therefore maybe the mind is God and our body is the temple of worship. We sacrifice or use things in the environment by pampering ourselves, thereby satisfying the desires of God (the mind).

It's funny how most conservative Christians find that sinful, but they don't realize that even the Bible said the body was the temple of the holy spirit. I agree with FM that the conservative Christians do give Christianity a bad name.

Personally, I don't think the meaning of life exists in the outer world. For me, the world is for my entertainment, thereby satisfying the subjective pleasures of God.

heart on fire

Who knows? We might be into devolution now.