User Tag List

View Poll Results: How religious are you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all; I'm an atheist.

9 20.93%
  • Not at all; I'm an agnostic.

11 25.58%
  • Somewhat; I have vague, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

5 11.63%
  • Somewhat; I have some faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

1 2.33%
  • Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

4 9.30%
  • Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

13 30.23%
  • I believe in evolution

21 48.84%
  • I don't believe in evolution

7 16.28%
  • I don't know whether I believe in evolution

4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Close enough I just wanted to disagree with you again.
    Score!

And to use your line, AWAY!

(I have a train to catch. I'll be back in less than an hour though. )

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Ah, then I'm going to have to go with both options 2 and 3.
    My vote depends heavily on he bolded part.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post

Score!
    If this is a game played for points, I concede. You win...yay you!

Now that that's decided, can we discuss things?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I believe in evolution and it depresses the hell out of me.

Violation and suffering is rampant, unchecked, and unobserved. This has always been and will always be.

The people I love the most in this world need more than I can give them. They need God. If he does not exist, then there is a deep want that will never be quelled.

That's where I stand, and I'm tired of hearing the white-washed versions of evolution and how happy things also happen. Irrelevant. If one fawn is slowly chewed to death by a pack of hyenas, then the entire universe is dark and fill with suffering and injustice.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm not sure what I am. Intellectually I don't believe that we can know or prove whether God exists, but at the same time I very much believe in the Christian God and try to live by the teachings of the Bible to the best of my understanding. I have a home church that I enjoy going to and like many of the other congregation members, but it's hard to get there on a regular basis. I haven't been in months. It's a non-denominational church with a Charismatic flavor and I enjoy the fact that even the ministry team has pretty different ideas from one another about doctrine within the framework of the basic tenets of faith.

I recognize that my beliefs may very well be wrong but I use my best guess as a guideline and go from there. I was a member of a denomination, but I don't like the culture and political activism that is currently the norm, so though I share a lot of their theological beliefs, I no longer consider myself part of their group.

I also believe in the supernatural, though once again, I don't believe we can prove or disprove it's existence.

So which box do I check?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    If this is a game played for points, I concede. You win...yay you!

Now that that's decided, can we discuss things?
    We could always discuss things. What happened to your Playfulness? <Here I'd insert the 'party' smiley if it weren't so ugly>

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm not sure what I am. Intellectually I don't believe that we can know or prove whether God exists, but at the same time I very much believe in the Christian God (...) I also believe in the supernatural, though once again, I don't believe we can prove or disprove it's existence.

So which box do I check?
    Hmm. Would your belief in the supernatural be frowned upon by the others at your church? If so, then I would prefer for you to pick the "Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature" option; if on the contrary it would be accepted, then the "Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion" option seems appropriate.

Once again I apologize for not having endowed the religious folk with an agnostic option.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I believe in evolution and it depresses the hell out of me.

Violation and suffering is rampant, unchecked, and unobserved. This has always been and will always be.

If one fawn is slowly chewed to death by a pack of hyenas, then the entire universe is dark and fill with suffering and injustice.

But toonia...this happens to fawns daily. It happens whether or not you believe in evolution. It happens whether or not you believe in God.

This is a world in which small children watch at the door as their father walks away for the last time. This is a world in which elderly parents languish in nursing homes, forgotten by their children, while the gray fog of dementia gradually creeps in to claim them. This is a world in which, daily, people who can't afford painkillers succumb to intestinal cancer.

Babies starve while their starving parents watch helpless. Diabetics look on as necrosis claims their feet, then their legs. The innocent suffer and the evil prosper...none of this is news to you. It's very painful to know, and it's very real.

And if by "evolution" you mean that you believe in a solely materialist world in which we are simply assemblages of interesting chemical processes, then I have to wonder: Why does any of the above bother you? Because if that's your outlook, then it's all just the interplay of interesting chemical processes, and signifies nothing.

The fact that it does bother you, that this world full of pain seems wrong to you, is to me prima facie evidence that materialist philosophy is in error. Because if we were only interesting chemistry, living in this painful awful world with our painful awful knowledge would be the norm, and we would never have known anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Opinion noted, but I think it'd be more effective if you went by the definition instead

(For instance, I do actively reject ala atheist, but I do not consider myself a strong atheist simply because I continue to be agnostic, that is to say, uncertain of present knowledge. As such, I define myself as both.)
    But doesn't this make everyone who does not believe in God an agnostic rather than an atheist? If de facto proof is required for you to consider yourself a true atheist then there are no true atheists, because that proof can never be provided.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    But doesn't this make everyone who does not believe in God an agnostic rather than an atheist? If de facto proof is required for you to consider yourself a true atheist then there are no true atheists, because that proof can never be provided.
    I'm telling you, agnosticism is a P *reviews poll results* Ti thing!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    ...And if by "evolution" you mean that you believe in a solely materialist world in which we are simply assemblages of interesting chemical processes, then I have to wonder: Why does any of the above bother you? Because if that's your outlook, then it's all just the interplay of interesting chemical processes, and signifies nothing.

The fact that it does bother you, that this world full of pain seems wrong to you, is to me prima facie evidence that materialist philosophy is in error. Because if we were only interesting chemistry, living in this painful awful world with our painful awful knowledge would be the norm, and we would never have known anything else.
    Yes I realize that what is, is regardless of my perception or knowledge of it.

It is the question of suffering which by its nature defies reason. The question of suffering is easily stuffed into some theoretical framework by either evolutionists or theologians. The question only has true relevance for those who have suffered. Only then can you realize that ready explanations fall short and more often than not, they merely find a way to eliminate compassion.

I'm an agnostic because of being aware of how incredibly small and limited i am in the bigger picture.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)