User Tag List

View Poll Results: How religious are you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all; I'm an atheist.

9 20.93%
  • Not at all; I'm an agnostic.

11 25.58%
  • Somewhat; I have vague, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

5 11.63%
  • Somewhat; I have some faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

1 2.33%
  • Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

4 9.30%
  • Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

13 30.23%
  • I believe in evolution

21 48.84%
  • I don't believe in evolution

7 16.28%
  • I don't know whether I believe in evolution

4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I take Oberon's longer explanation as a better one than mine on the definitions.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Nobody's more pedantic than me, once I get going. Just ask Jennifer. =]

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I've had this discussion too many times to go into it again, but for the record, I consider agnostics to be a (wishy-washy ) subset of atheists.
    Opinion noted, but I think it'd be more effective if you went by the definition instead

(For instance, I do actively reject ala atheist, but I do not consider myself a strong atheist simply because I continue to be agnostic, that is to say, uncertain of present knowledge. As such, I define myself as both.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    (Explanation)
    Ah, then I'm going to have to go with both options 2 and 3.

As long as I was ignorant of your intent, yes.
    Would you mind clarifying that?

Oberon

Would you mind clarifying that?
    As long as I didn't know what you meant by "believe in evolution," my answer would have been "I don't know if I believe in evolution." If I don't know what you mean by X, I don't know whether I believe in X as you've defined it, and so can't tell you if I believe in it.

Tell me what you mean by X (as you have done in this case), and it becomes a whole 'nother ball game. Whether or not you know what you mean by X means nothing to me until you've told me. So, to reiterate, my answer to your question would have been the same..."I don't know"...regardless of what you meant by "believe in evolution," as long as I was ignorant of your intended meaning of "believe in evolution."

I don't know if this clarifies anything for you or not...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Opinion noted, but I think it'd be more effective if you went by the definition instead

(For instance, I do actively reject ala atheist, but I do not consider myself a strong atheist simply because I continue to be agnostic, that is to say, uncertain of present knowledge. As such, I define myself as both.)
    The agnostic subset is both.

I'm sure you've heard my position explained before. Atheist = one who lacks belief in god(s), agnostic = one who insists on redundantly declaring that we cannot be sure.

(This has got be a contender for Most Discussed Topic on an Internet Forum.)

As long as I didn't know what you meant by "believe in evolution," my answer would have been "I don't know if I believe in evolution." If I don't know what you mean by X, I don't know whether I believe in X as you've defined it, and so can't tell you if I believe in it.
    I would understand why you voted as if you didn't know what I meant if you hadn't stuck around to ask me what I meant, as you did in fact do. Why not just wait for my answer then?

Since you had already voted, your question felt to me like a rhetorical after-the-fact chastisement instead of like constructive input to the Poll Process.

<wild iNtuitive shot> Sure you're not ever-so-subtly punishing me for the sins of some dictatorial Js in your life?

Oberon

Why not just wait for my answer then?
    Well, that would have been the sensible thing to do, I'll admit. My actions tend to make far less sense than my thoughts sometimes.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm sure you've heard my position explained before. Atheist = one who lacks belief in god(s), agnostic = one who insists on redundantly declaring that we cannot be sure.
    Yes... but why are those exclusive? I have no belief in divinity, or the supernatural for that matter. I also believe that we cannot be sure that it does not exist.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Yes... but why are those exclusive? I have no belief in divinity, or the supernatural for that matter. I also believe that we cannot be sure that it does not exist.

I just remembered that you can be religious and agnostic at the same time. Sorry folks. My focus was too narrow after having participated in a ton of debates that focused on atheistic agnosticism.

(I still don't understand what you're driving at though, pt - unless that was it?)

Edit:

Well, that would have been the sensible thing to do, I'll admit.
    Score!

MBTI
    ISTP

I just remembered that you can be religious and agnostic at the same time. Sorry folks. My focus was too narrow after having participated in a ton of debates that focused on atheistic agnosticism only.

(I still don't understand what you're driving at though, pt - unless that was it?)
    Close enough I just wanted to disagree with you again.