User Tag List

View Poll Results: How religious are you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all; I'm an atheist.

    9 20.93%
  • Not at all; I'm an agnostic.

    11 25.58%
  • Somewhat; I have vague, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

    5 11.63%
  • Somewhat; I have some faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

    1 2.33%
  • Decidedly; I have defined, idiosyncratic religious beliefs of a metaphysical nature

    4 9.30%
  • Decidedly; I have considerable faith in the metaphysical tenets of an organized religion

    13 30.23%
  • I believe in evolution

    21 48.84%
  • I don't believe in evolution

    7 16.28%
  • I don't know whether I believe in evolution

    4 9.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 54

  1. #21
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    I take Oberon's longer explanation as a better one than mine on the definitions.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #22
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Nobody's more pedantic than me, once I get going. Just ask Jennifer. =]

  3. #23
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I've had this discussion too many times to go into it again, but for the record, I consider agnostics to be a (wishy-washy ) subset of atheists.
    Opinion noted, but I think it'd be more effective if you went by the definition instead

    (For instance, I do actively reject ala atheist, but I do not consider myself a strong atheist simply because I continue to be agnostic, that is to say, uncertain of present knowledge. As such, I define myself as both.)

  4. #24
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    (Explanation)
    Ah, then I'm going to have to go with both options 2 and 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    As long as I was ignorant of your intent, yes.
    Would you mind clarifying that?

  5. #25
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Would you mind clarifying that?
    As long as I didn't know what you meant by "believe in evolution," my answer would have been "I don't know if I believe in evolution." If I don't know what you mean by X, I don't know whether I believe in X as you've defined it, and so can't tell you if I believe in it.

    Tell me what you mean by X (as you have done in this case), and it becomes a whole 'nother ball game. Whether or not you know what you mean by X means nothing to me until you've told me. So, to reiterate, my answer to your question would have been the same..."I don't know"...regardless of what you meant by "believe in evolution," as long as I was ignorant of your intended meaning of "believe in evolution."

    I don't know if this clarifies anything for you or not...

  6. #26
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Opinion noted, but I think it'd be more effective if you went by the definition instead

    (For instance, I do actively reject ala atheist, but I do not consider myself a strong atheist simply because I continue to be agnostic, that is to say, uncertain of present knowledge. As such, I define myself as both.)
    The agnostic subset is both.

    I'm sure you've heard my position explained before. Atheist = one who lacks belief in god(s), agnostic = one who insists on redundantly declaring that we cannot be sure.

    (This has got be a contender for Most Discussed Topic on an Internet Forum.)

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    As long as I didn't know what you meant by "believe in evolution," my answer would have been "I don't know if I believe in evolution." If I don't know what you mean by X, I don't know whether I believe in X as you've defined it, and so can't tell you if I believe in it.
    I would understand why you voted as if you didn't know what I meant if you hadn't stuck around to ask me what I meant, as you did in fact do. Why not just wait for my answer then?

    Since you had already voted, your question felt to me like a rhetorical after-the-fact chastisement instead of like constructive input to the Poll Process.

    <wild iNtuitive shot> Sure you're not ever-so-subtly punishing me for the sins of some dictatorial Js in your life?

  7. #27
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Why not just wait for my answer then?
    Well, that would have been the sensible thing to do, I'll admit. My actions tend to make far less sense than my thoughts sometimes.

  8. #28
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I'm sure you've heard my position explained before. Atheist = one who lacks belief in god(s), agnostic = one who insists on redundantly declaring that we cannot be sure.
    Yes... but why are those exclusive? I have no belief in divinity, or the supernatural for that matter. I also believe that we cannot be sure that it does not exist.

  9. #29
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Yes... but why are those exclusive? I have no belief in divinity, or the supernatural for that matter. I also believe that we cannot be sure that it does not exist.


    I just remembered that you can be religious and agnostic at the same time. Sorry folks. My focus was too narrow after having participated in a ton of debates that focused on atheistic agnosticism.

    (I still don't understand what you're driving at though, pt - unless that was it?)

    Edit:

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    Well, that would have been the sensible thing to do, I'll admit.
    Score!

  10. #30
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post


    I just remembered that you can be religious and agnostic at the same time. Sorry folks. My focus was too narrow after having participated in a ton of debates that focused on atheistic agnosticism only.

    (I still don't understand what you're driving at though, pt - unless that was it?)
    Close enough I just wanted to disagree with you again.

Similar Threads

  1. Height/How tall are you?
    By niffer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 06-20-2016, 02:44 PM
  2. How old are you?
    By Economica in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 12-20-2015, 10:38 PM
  3. Pictures of your living environment/how clean are you?
    By Grayscale in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 12:52 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 07:50 AM
  5. How gullible are you?
    By Sahara in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 10:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO