User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Would you want to be put on life support?

What type of advanced directives (e.g. Do Not Resuscitate) would you prefer if you were in a situation with vital life organ failure?

If you decide to use life support, would you use it for a defined period of time (2 weeks? 6 months? three years?) How do you think your loved ones would react to your decision?

Being on life support can include having a tracheotomy, intravenous feeding, and/or artificial respiration (breathing machine) for an extended amount of time.

I've been asking people this question lately and I've been getting some interesting responses from "Thank you so much for helping me to start thinking about this," to "That's so horrible! Why are you asking that!?" I remain undeterred.

Note: I don't really want to see a debate about whether or not this is ethical, but am instead curious to know why YOU reached the decision you did.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

For a time. Especially if it was possible for me to recover and be able to live free of life support.

I think, if I were in a vegetative state, I'd ask my family to give me a few months to a year to show signs of intelligent life. If there were no sure signs of intelligent life (I don't mean like, "Oh she blinked at me! Look she's saying something!"), put me down.

This isn't definite of course. Part of me as I type this is rebelling and going, "What?! No way, I don't wanna die!" But I figure that's natural.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INxJ

I don't want to be on life support. I'm not scared of death. If I'm going to live my life, it needs to be at the best level possible. Not with debilitating health of the mind or body. Otherwise, I'm opting out. Take that however you like.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

If I'm in that bad of a shape, I'd rather go out with dignity, really. Unless it's something that can be cured with at least a large amount of my normal functioning, I'd rather people remember me as how I was, rather than as a drooling, lifeless doll.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I don't want to be on life support. I'm not scared of death.
    I like the cut of your jib.

Want to be my bodyguard?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I like the cut of your jib.

Want to be my bodyguard?
    Sure. I have some fencing skill. Luckily, I'm an Epeeist. That means I have no rules and go for blood. I'm also 4'10''. No one will suspect me of being capable. Element of surprise ftw.

You can pay me in all the books I please. Then we have a deal.

MBTI
    INTP

If I'm in a vegetative state, or otherwise effectively brain-dead, then no. Otherwise, I'd have to be in as bad of shape as that dude in the metallica song "One" to not want life support. The only reason to refuse it is if going on life support will bankrupt my family, in which case I'd ask to be taken off before it came to that.

heart on fire

I would prefer only hydration otherwise no ventilator or other means, unless it is something short term like boutlism or puemonia or something but then again that wouldn't a vegatative state. But the only person I really trust with these decisions *for me* would be my husband, if I were not able to speak for myself.

Advanced directives aren't really enough, one needs to have someone they can trust as health care power of attorney to implement decisions. jmo.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, if I weren't conscious... it wouldn't matter if I were dead or alive, because I would have exactly the same level of awareness. I would prefer to leave it up to chance rather than make a decision. At least with something like this.

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

No way. Maybe for a week or two to say goodbye to everybody, but if I was confined like that for more than two weeks, I'd probably lose my mind.
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.