User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Stupid and industrious people are, imo, far more of a hazard but if forced to choose I'd be stupid and industrious rather than stupid and lazy. I think stupid and industrious is oftentimes a quite successful personality - I know more people than I should in positions they really shouldn't be in, who simply got there through working their asses off, and not being very bright at all.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    How does someone who is lazy have the "temperament and nerves to deal with all situations"? Unless that was tongue-in-cheek...
    I'm sure it was not really tounge-in-cheek, and that he indeed meant lazy. If you examine his life, he kind of fit his own description of clever and lazy.

Someone bragging that their nature is best suited? Go figure.

But I've heard similar things from others. Lazy people keep a certain perspective that abhors submission to authority--so when the authority was the Nazi party, the lazy are passive-agressive resistance.

It is similarly the case for coporate abuses and inefficiencies. Lazy people are the first to complain...especially if they are smart and articulate enough to do it well.

Also, laziness drives technology. The computers, the charts for easy calculation, the "creature comforts," that we all enjoy, come out of the laziness drive. In short, the clever and lazy are the most innovative.

If you believe Edison was "industrious," keep in mind that the man brought a pillow with him in so many places, and would nap at random parts of the day. He was also insolent when it comes to authority, that chief quality of "lazy" people. He was also eventually able to get a group of clever and industrious people working to get HIM patents.

One of the peices of advice given by one of the greatest circuit designers in an article to budding circuit designers, was to "shirk ones duties, to follow interesting circuits."

I think you get the idea.

The right type of laziness can be a virtue indeed.

Oh, and regarding war. I would definitely prefer a general who has little ambition to make a name for himself, and only fights battles that he knows he will win.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

<------ Clever and Lazy
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I'm sure it was not really tounge-in-cheek, and that he indeed meant lazy. If you examine his life, he kind of fit his own description of clever and lazy.

Someone bragging that their nature is best suited? Go figure.

But I've heard similar things from others. Lazy people keep a certain perspective that abhors submission to authority--so when the authority was the Nazi party, the lazy are passive-agressive resistance.

It is similarly the case for coporate abuses and inefficiencies. Lazy people are the first to complain...especially if they are smart and articulate enough to do it well.

Also, laziness drives technology. The computers, the charts for easy calculation, the "creature comforts," that we all enjoy, come out of the laziness drive. In short, the clever and lazy are the most innovative.

If you believe Edison was "industrious," keep in mind that the man brought a pillow with him in so many places, and would nap at random parts of the day. He was also insolent when it comes to authority, that chief quality of "lazy" people. He was also eventually able to get a group of clever and industrious people working to get HIM patents.

One of the peices of advice given by one of the greatest circuit designers in an article to budding circuit designers, was to "shirk ones duties, to follow interesting circuits."

I think you get the idea.

The right type of laziness can be a virtue indeed.

Oh, and regarding war. I would definitely prefer a general who has little ambition to make a name for himself, and only fights battles that he knows he will win.
    The above bits that I've highlighted in bold fit my definition of industrious: using your initiative to work towards a goal. Whether you fancy a nap or procrastination inbetween isn't the issue, the point is that you're doing something rather than nothing.

A lazy person wouldn't be the first to report corporate abuses...they'd be too lazy to bother!

The above examples you've given are clever and industrious. The person who blindly follows authority is stupid and industrious. The clever and lazy person is the type who everyone knows has a brain but spends his days in his room watching DVDs because "What's the point of working?"

If people still can't see what I'm saying, or think I can't see what they're saying, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I leave you with the OED definition of 'lazy':
    " 1 unwilling to work or use energy. 2 showing or characterized by a lack of effort or care."

Riva

Clever and lazy, hell yes!
    Germany here i come.

Funny a German would say something like this. Germans are known to be - EFFICIENT

so i guess Germany as a country is Clever and Industrious.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Well there you go, exactly what I mean. Calm doesn't = lazy.

By the way, calmly getting on with it is totally SJ! You'll never get an SJ running around like a headless chicken. Probably why there actually are so many ISTJs in the army.
    FRONT LINES

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

your prejudice is ingenious, but will lead to your ultimate downfall
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I never really understood why industrious is often equated with compliant towards their boss. They are completely independent traits.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

I find it interesting that no one would admit to being stupid and industrious, yet they are the most abundant type!

They will have you running around in circles wasting time on trivialities. They will critisize you in order to make themselves look better. They have stupid ideas and fail to take advice. Once a decision is made (and it is normally done without consultation) it is final. Yet this type seem to prevail because they are hardworking and will have a good relationship with their superior. This good relationship is due them never critisising their superior's decisions (for they are stupid, cannot see the flaws or see a superior method and they lack imagination).

A clever and efficient person will be able to deal with a lot of data quickly leaving time to see the bigger picture (generals).

A clever and industrious person will be able to follow and execute complex orders.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    I find it interesting that no one would admit to being stupid and industrious, yet they are the most abundant type!
    Well. I'm not stupid and industrious, but I may possibly be stupid and lazy. :P
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin