User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you steal the medicine or not? (read post)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, as it would be completely illogical.

10 43.48%
  • Yes, as value my spouse over logic.

13 56.52%
  • I'm not sure, it's too hard of a decision to make.

0 0%
123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default Thinking vs. Feeling: What if...

Situation:
    Your partner is termanally ill with a very rare disease. There is no medication avaliabe to legally buy. There is, however, a small dosage lucked in a labratory somewhere, and the only way to save them would be to illegally break into the lab and steal the medication. Not only would you be commiting serious crimes, but you would also be taking away from medicine that could be used for studies and processes of making more, and if it was stolen, it would postpone public avaliability even longer. If you were caught, you'd face a great prison sentense, and be frounded down upon by society. If you managed to get away, you'd save your wife/husband and postpone the medicine from entering into the public even longer, which might take away from other people recieving the medicine (F). If you didn't steal it, your wife/husband would die.

What do you do?

Relations:
    In general, an F would be more prone to choosing answer 2
    In general, a T would be more prone to choosing answer 1
    However, exceptions are also common.

Please take into mind the state of mind you'd be in this situation, which is very hard to imagine, so don't just assumably put that you wouldn't take it, think hard on this one.

My father, whose been working with Myers Briggs for 20 some-off years now. He used it formally to evaluate patients at a psych hospital, and applies it to his teaching and business. He uses this hypothetical situation quite frequently when distinguishing between T and F, and how an F would be more prone to stealing the medicine and a T would logically not take the medicine. This isn't black and white, however, but it definitely distinguishes to some decree.

Neo Genesis gave me that this is Kohlberg Dillemma, which is where my father probably got it from. Here's the very original situation. Put yourself in the place of the husband and apply it to my situation and the poll.

"Dilemma III
    In Europe, a woman was near death from a special kind of cancer. There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her. It was a form of radium that a druggist in the same town had recently discovered. the drug was expensive to make, but the druggist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to make. He paid $400 for the radium and charged $4,000 for a small dose of the drug. The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money and tried every legal means, but he could only get together about $2,000, which is half of what it cost. He told the druggist that his wife was dying, and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later. But the druggist said, "No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from if." So, having tried every legal means, Heinz gets desperate and considers breaking into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife."
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'd definitely steal it, I think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'd definitely steal it, I think.
    me too.

When my dad first gave me this situation, I thought it was the other way around, because in a normal state of being, It'd be really hard to get myself to steal it..but the more and more I thought, the more sense it made.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTJ

I'd steal it.

But I don't think that's the morally correct choice. However, yes, I'd still steal it.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think this question probably transcends simple T v. F dichotomy, as it principally involves companionate love -- the very essence of which is steeped in profound elements of psychology and evolutionary biology. These interior variables make it an unusual scenario, one that might not necessarily evoke a "typical" T v. F response pattern.

I'd steal the medication.

I don't want to be mean NT but what guarantees do you have that some medication in some lab will actually do the trick?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I think this question probably transcends simple T v. F dichotomy, as it principally involves companionate love -- the very essence of which is steeped in profound elements of psychology and evolutionary biology. These interior variables make it an unusual scenario, one that might not necessarily evoke a "typical" T v. F response.

I'd steal the medication.
    Good point, I guess you'd really have to put yourself in a normal situation with these conditions, but that's really hard. I understand, but as a crude general situation, it may provide some evidence and truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I don't want to be mean NT but what guarantees do you that some medication in some lab will actually do the trick?
    It's all hypothetical, but it's a very wise thought..if the medicine didn't work at all. I guess we'll have to assume it really is the only cure, and will work..

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Good point, I guess you'd really have to put yourself in a normal situation with these conditions, but that's really hard. I understand, but as a crude general situation, it may provide some evidence and truth.
    It's a good question -- just one that probably reveals more about value systems within the individual than it does to provide a conclusive T v. F division.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I don't want to be mean NT but what guarantees do you have that some medication in some lab will actually do the trick?
    It's funny you should mention that because being willing to take the risk that it doesn't do the trick is an even more extreme scenario and even harder to answer.

But I still think I'd do it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Situation:
    Your partner is termanally ill with a very rare disease. There is no medication avaliabe to legally buy. There is, however, a small dosage lucked in a labratory somewhere, and the only way to save them would be to illegally break into the lab and steal the medication. Not only would you be commiting serious crimes, but you would also be taking away from medicine that could be used for studies and processes of making more, and if it was stolen, it would postpone public avaliability even longer. If you were caught, you'd face a great prison sentense, and be frounded down upon by society. If you managed to get away, you'd save your wife/husband and postpone the medicine from entering into the public even longer. If you didn't steal it, your wife/husband would die.

What do you do?

Relations:
    In general, an F would be more prone to choosing answer 2
    In general, a T would be more prone to choosing answer 1
    However, exceptions are also common.

Please take into mind the state of mind you'd be in this situation, which is very hard to imagine, so don't just assumably put that you wouldn't take it, think hard on this one.

My father, whose been working with Myers Briggs for 20 some-off years now. He used it formally to evaluate patients at a psych hospital, and applies it to his teaching and business. He uses this hypothetical situation quite frequently when distinguishing between T and F, and how an F would be more prone to stealing the medicine and a T would logically not take the medicine. This isn't black and white, however, but it definitely distinguishes to some decree.
    If exceptions are so common, then how is this useful at all?

Seriously, I don't think this is a very good indicator of T v F. As a T I would steal the medicine, as it's the logical thing to do. I love my wife, I would not like to see my wife die, and I couldn't care less about the rest of society. Therefore, I steal the medicine. Whereas an F might make the complete opposite choice for different reasons. They might say that ultimately society matters most. They wouldn't be able to live with themselves if a bunch of other people died because they stole the medicine.

There's a million different T reasonings where you wouldn't steal, a million different T reasonings where you would steal. Same with F.

So just the answer itself isn't a very good indicator. However, the reasoning they use for their answer can be (assuming you can interpret it correctly.)
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin