User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you steal the medicine or not? (read post)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, as it would be completely illogical.

10 43.48%
  • Yes, as value my spouse over logic.

13 56.52%
  • I'm not sure, it's too hard of a decision to make.

0 0%
First 2345 Last

heart on fire

Like the song says: What you won't, you'll do for love.

So I have a hard time believing this is a good diving line between thinkers and feelers. But then again I don't really believe typology is a good at predicting behavior, only preferences.

MBTI
    ENTP

Taking the medicine and saving your spouse can actually be very logical, depending on circumstance. I also don't think that there is enough information to answer correctly. Here is why.

I believe that the sole purpose of an individual's life is for the person to enjoy their life as much as possible. Now, a problem emerges with this belief when a person wants to do things such as murder and steal, which take away from the enjoyment of others lives. To help this, we have laws that try and deter people from doing things like this. Since there are laws, omitting crimes is often illogical since the odds of you getting locked up for the rest of your life are very high. Being locked up would take away from your enjoyment of life quite a bit I'd imagine.

Now, I want to maximize my life enjoyment and happiness. Being with someone who I truly love would help this greatly. However, is the happiness I gain from being with my wife worth risking the massive loss of happiness I'd get from being caught stealing the medicine and getting locked up? You don't know from the scenario.

This would depend on many things, namely how much I love and care about my wife, and how much being with her is necessary to my well-being. If I love her so much that I absolutely cannot live without her, then I would steal the medicine. If I truly loved her, but believed that eventually I would be able to find true happiness again, I would not steal it. This is not to say that I would make no effort to obtain the medicine, but I would not put myself at risk like that. Also, I wouldn't be able to justify killing all the people who couldn't get the medicine fast enough.

If I did not steal the medicine, I would hate myself for it and feel horrible. Even so, I couldn't justify taking the medicine in that case.

Then again, I've never loved someone enough to think about marriage, so who knows what my thoughts would be then. I don't rule out the possibility of my emotions getting to me in that case and stealing the medicine.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Like the song says: What you won't, you'll do for love.

So I have a hard time believing this is a good diving line between thinkers and feelers. But then again I don't really believe typology is a good at predicting behavior, only preferences.
    Amen. Seems to me, though, Fs would more likely jump into and do it without quesiton. I guss it comes down to the individual, though, and that types are really only preference, not a definition.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

In such desperation and thus heightened creativity and adrenaline levels, I'd probably try to steal the medicine, but not because I'm an "inconsiderate fuck that doesn't care about the rest of society" or the like. I'd steal it because it's hardly conceivable that the theft of a sample would inhibit reproduction of the cure (or at least the sample in question), it's not like you're stealing the formula behind it or any of the key ingredients, and I doubt the cure would require the talents of, say, the Hadron Collider. So even though it's probably a crime, I doubt that presented with this argument, the public would really frown upon me, (and even if they do, who the fuck would care?) or that the public release of the cure would be greatly delayed. Consider also that the disease is "very rare", so that allows for more time for the cure to be reproduced.

Of course all this is assuming I'll succeed and the cure will work, but those are different conditions altogether. In reality both chances are quite low given security measures (my partner would probably die in the timeframe it took me to succesfully plan and execute the theft) and the nature of experimental medicine, but something about how the question is phrased tells me that these conditions are both assumed to be correct, i.e. if I try I'll succeed, and the cure works, so...

Now I dare you to tell me if you know anything of my being F or T. Heh.
    Not really.

heart on fire

^^ Do most people, thinkers or feelers do anything this serious without question, planning and deliberation? I mean people over 18.

If so, then I have vastly misunderstood the difference between what thinking and feeling as preference really is.

Edit: Somone's post here gave me an image of this hysterical person, tears in their eyes just busting through a window and stealing the meds in a blind rush while the store alarms are blaring and they're being filmed--- Is this what you people think feeling as a preference really means?

If one was going to steal the meds to save the loved one, planning would be important. If you get caught before you can get the meds to your loved one, it was all pointless and then your loved one won't even have you to take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    Even if it did, there the posted predicted relations (which are not really tied to anything... what are the options?) wouldn't stick.

Ts might just use their thinking to plan everything so that they didn't get caught, while F would be so concerned over their spouse that they'd storm in and steal the medicine.

Either way, T and F both made the same choice.

I wouldn't steal the medicine because if it's worth anything, they'll shoot me, and if it's not, then stealing it would be a worthless anyway.
    I think if I was going to do it, I would take pride in beating the system, and not getting caught. Take the opportunity to turn crime into art.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    ^^ Do most people, thinkers or feelers do anything this serious without question, planning and deliberation? I mean people over 18.

If so, then I have vastly misunderstood the difference between what thinking and feeling as preference really is.

Edit: Somone's post here gave me an image of this hysterical person, tears in their eyes just busting through a window and stealing the meds in a blind rush while the store alarms are blaring and they're being filmed--- Is this what you people think feeling as a preference really means?

If one was going to steal the meds to save the loved one, planning would be important. If you get caught before you can get the meds to your loved one, it was all pointless and then your loved one won't even have you to take care of them.
    I think Ne types always strategise before acting. Some types dive straight in more. So agree, I'm not sure it is T or F related. And yeh, I don't think many types would rush straight in, in this case, unless they got the magical 9th function "St", which makes them inherently stupid.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

My initial answer was No.
    Then I thought about it, because I have contacts, and also I believe they would have several lots stored, enough for a small trail (I could be wrong),and not just one person.
    Also I don't know if it's possible, but what about reverse engineering, as I understand it, there's a bit of a black market (this could also be all in my head - I know some one who knows some one who does that sort of thing for medical testing). I would feel less guilty, under those circumstances, because I would only have to steal (hopefully) a little bit, thus not depriving the rest of the world, and also maybe strike terrible blow at a pharmaceutical company who could make millions off the backs of desperate suffering people.
    Not without careful research, but I would try, but I would try to work out a situation where no-one suffers.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Nothing to do with logic, but I probably wouldn't steal the medicine. I'd assume she wouldn't have wanted it either.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

I love you?
    Medication Gone in 60 seconds
    I N V I C T U S