User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you steal the medicine or not? (read post)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, as it would be completely illogical.

10 43.48%
  • Yes, as value my spouse over logic.

13 56.52%
  • I'm not sure, it's too hard of a decision to make.

0 0%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    It's funny you should mention that because being willing to take the risk that it doesn't do the trick is an even more extreme scenario and even harder to answer.

But I still think I'd do it.
    Yeah. I think F's may have an easier time getting themselves to do it, as I know I'd do it without thinking..and I'd do it by any means, even if it meant killing someone, I guess i'd do it in the face of saving a loved one. Maybe T's may have more of a hesatant opinion on this.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    If exceptions are so common, then how is this useful at all?

Seriously, I don't think this is a very good indicator of T v F. As a T I would steal the medicine, as it's the logical thing to do. I love my wife, I would not like to see my wife die, and I couldn't care less about the rest of society. Therefore, I steal the medicine. Whereas an F might make the complete opposite choice for different reasons. They might say that ultimately society matters most. They wouldn't be able to live with themselves if a bunch of other people died because they stole the medicine.

There's a million different T reasonings where you wouldn't steal, a million different T reasonings where you would steal. Same with F.

So just the answer itself isn't a very good indicator. However, the reasoning they use for their answer can be (assuming you can interpret it correctly.)

I felt the same way when I first heard this, but the more I become aware of F vs. T, the more relevant this gets. Of course most people would steal it, but it still raises a question of a value system. An F would do it easily, I think, even if it restricted thousands of others from getting the medicine, because that in itself if the basics of values, valuing your spouse over the norm. Ts may do the same thing, but it wouldn't be in the same way as an F. T's may hesitate a little more, as killing hundreds for one person is utterly illogical, in a sense.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Situation:
    Your partner is termanally ill with a very rare disease. There is no medication avaliabe to legally buy. There is, however, a small dosage lucked in a labratory somewhere, and the only way to save them would be to illegally break into the lab and steal the medication. Not only would you be commiting serious crimes, but you would also be taking away from medicine that could be used for studies and processes of making more, and if it was stolen, it would postpone public avaliability even longer. If you were caught, you'd face a great prison sentense, and be frounded down upon by society. If you managed to get away, you'd save your wife/husband and postpone the medicine from entering into the public even longer. If you didn't steal it, your wife/husband would die.

What do you do?

Relations:
    In general, an F would be more prone to choosing answer 2
    In general, a T would be more prone to choosing answer 1
    However, exceptions are also common.

Please take into mind the state of mind you'd be in this situation, which is very hard to imagine, so don't just assumably put that you wouldn't take it, think hard on this one.

My father, whose been working with Myers Briggs for 20 some-off years now. He used it formally to evaluate patients at a psych hospital, and applies it to his teaching and business. He uses this hypothetical situation quite frequently when distinguishing between T and F, and how an F would be more prone to stealing the medicine and a T would logically not take the medicine. This isn't black and white, however, but it definitely distinguishes to some decree.
    Ah, Kohlberg's moral dilemmas.

You should probably list what answer 1 and 2 are, since you kinda go back and forth between them.

With the situation you described, I think I would try to steal it. Even if it set them back, it wouldn't be for that long. I mean, come on, they're scientists, they're supposed to document everything. Basically, I'd be able to live with myself knowing that I did everything in my power to protect my wife.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Genesis View Post
    Ah, Kohlberg's moral dilemmas.

You should probably list what answer 1 and 2 are, since you kinda go back and forth between them.

With the situation you described, I think I would try to steal it. Even if it set them back, it wouldn't be for that long. I mean, come on, they're scientists, they're supposed to document everything. Basically, I'd be able to live with myself knowing that I did everything in my power to protect my wife.
    Wait, did I list them backwards or something? I read it over a couple of times, I think it's in order.

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Wait, did I list them backwards or something? I read it over a couple of times, I think it's in order.
    I'm just saying that it'd be clearer if you listed them right after your first paragraph.
    As far as I can tell, this is answer #1:

If you managed to get away, you'd save your wife/husband and postpone the medicine from entering into the public even longer.
    And this is answer #2:
    If you didn't steal it, your wife/husband would die.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I don't want to be mean NT but what guarantees do you have that some medication in some lab will actually do the trick?
    I don't believe that'd make any difference.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Genesis View Post
    I'm just saying that it'd be clearer if you listed them right after your first paragraph.
    As far as I can tell, this is answer #1:

And this is answer #2:

I don't believe that'd make any difference.
    Yeah, you listed them correctly. I'll make a little more clear.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I admit that I don't know what the romantic love is. Also I am the one that voted no.

Here are some of my thoughts

1.You don't have any guarantees that the chemical will do the trick.
    2. In theory the medinine could prove to be fatal for you SO. Especially since you don't know the right dose.
    3.Stealing something like this is quite hard since protoypes on new medications are often in high security areas. You simply don't have the equipment and experiance to actually steal it.
    4. Risking your life like this seems stupid since you will probably be outnumbered and outgunned. If you end up in prison for a few decades you can rate all of this as epic fail.
    5. If you actually manage to succsed in all of this you will maybe damadged chances of other people in the future since you are damadging the research.
    6. If you really want to do something good there is no point in being so selfish since the world is full of people who need help.
    7. This will sound unromantic but if I am right there is more "fish" in the ocean.
    Unless you are quite old but then you would have even more problems stealing it and both of you will be dead soon anyway.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I admit that I don't know what the romantic love is. Also I am the one that voted no.

Here are some of my thoughts

1.You don't have any guarantees that the chemical will do the trick.
    2. In theory the medinine could prove to be fatal for you SO. Especially since you don't know the right dose.
    3.Stealing something like this is quite hard since protoypes on new medications are often in high security areas. You simply don't have the equipment and experiance to actually steal it.
    4. Risking your life like this seems stupid since you will probably be outnumbered and outgunned. If you end up in prison for a few decades you can rate all of this as epic fail.
    5. If you actually manage to succsed in all of this you will maybe damadged chances of other people in the future since you are damadging the research.
    6. If you really want to do something good there is no point in being so selfish since the world is full of people who need help.
    7. This will sound unromantic but if I am right there is more "fish" in the ocean.
    Unless you are quite old but then you would have even more problems stealing it and both of you will be dead soon anyway.
    You prove a very good point. I appreciate giving this some tough thought, and that you prove a very logical position and are honest.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I answered the question on the assumption (cuz this was hypothetical) that I would be able to steal it, the medicine would work, and that others would suffer because of my decision.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP

I wouldn't steal the medicine. I wouldn't want my husband to steal the medicine for me, either. If this is the great miracle cure that could eventually save thousands upon thousands of lives, I would rather not use it selfishly, and I'd rather neither of us go to jail for stealing it. This is not to say that the immediate situation isn't tragic.
    Something Witty