User Tag List

123 Last

Lightbulb Why do you think that you are misunderstood ?

I see that around the forum similar topics are emerging with topics "I feel misunderstood about this, I feel misunderstood about that".

So I am creating a thread that will cover all of this and it is designed for light hearted converstation.

But to be honest I think that in many cases people exaggerate how much they are misunderstood. What is logical since everybody likes to believe that he/she is quite special. Also I am aware of the fact that this place is the place where unconventional people gather and rant.
    Because of this it would be interesting if the thread contains discussion about this as well.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I never feel misunderstood. I might feel under appreciated at times, but never misunderstood. Everybody who knows me has got a pretty accurate idea of how I feel about things.

Actually, I really don't care if people understand me or not. I don't say that in a mean way, I'm just confident that I'm reasonable and of good intent and not an overly demanding person.

If someone doesn't get me, or if I am trying to convey to them how I feel about a given topic, and they are having issue with that, I am usually able to re-word things and use ridiculous hand gestures until they are clear as to my position.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I see that around the forum similar topics are emerging with topics "I feel misunderstood about this, I feel misunderstood about that".
    It seems at times that many people (especially online) use this kind of phrase to distinguish themselves from the majority - and therein simply throw themselves into another version of a social group.

However, in the sense of this phrasing being used to describe dynamics in relationships - being misunderstood as a whole, or all the time - then isn't that to be expected? Most have blinders or biases or one sort or another colouring their world-view - so despite the fact that you communicate your point of view, they oftentimes simply never get it, or they are unconsciously unwilling to accept it. This is why I state things directly and without guile, because being vague and imprecise is what leads to misunderstanding a lot of the time.

If someone doesn't want to hear or conceive of something, it can be next to impossible to make them understand. Stress on the 'can'.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Silentium View Post
    ...Most have blinders or biases or one sort or another colouring their world-view - so despite the fact that you communicate your point of view, they oftentimes simply never get it, or they are unconsciously unwilling to accept it. This is why I state things directly and without guile, because being vague and imprecise is what leads to misunderstanding a lot of the time.

If someone doesn't want to hear or conceive of something, it can be next to impossible to make them understand. Stress on the 'can'
    Very nicely put! That's spot on!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I don't really feel too misunderstood, but I have run into some cases where I have been..

People seem to judge my forum name and think I'm some religious fanatic who devotes all of his posts to Spirituality, when in fact, it's only a little true. I'm just like a lot of other people here, whether I like it or not, and we all share many things in common. My name simply represents depthness and creativity, as in the music, for instance.

Because of my age, I feel like some people think I'm kind of a wishful thinker. It may be true a little, but I try not too come out a lot and express my inexperience, and when I don't have the experience with certain things, I tend not to post, as I might say something stupid that people will not like me for. I try not too sound too naive, and I'm honestly not too naive for my age, but I guess it comes out sometimes and people don't like and think I'm inferior..which is kind of sad..but I don't really fit into the age group..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't feel generally misunderstood, but if I had to point to something I might point to my directness. Some people interpret it as aggression and I really, truly do not mean it as such.

That doesn't make me special, though - I think we're all misunderstood (and misunderstanding) at times.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

i think no one understands anyone. (generalization)
    but they don't notice it half of the time.... create an illusion of understanding by being careless about everything.
    i am not understood because i deliberately break with such ways, i leave the memes behind. occasionally.
    if just by style of language. i want to say: look, i mean to say something specific. don't just nod, like you heard it before. look at it first.

Our thoughts are difficult to put into language, and everyone thinks differently. Just look at my thread as an example.

The people I understand the best are people who think like me. Contrarily, the people I understand the least are people completely opposite of me.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

you know, for an anti-social one, you certainly make a lot of threads for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    you know, for an anti-social one, you certainly make a lot of threads for everyone!
    Is that good or bad?

That is because I think alot in solitude so I have alot of ideas/topics to post/test.
    Every day besides learning I spend at least 4 hours thinking about random stuff.
    Here I act very differently then in real life.