User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    If homosexuality is genetic, then what's to stop anyone from believing that attraction to young children is genetic? Just some food for thought...
    I was unaware that some people thought attraction to young children anything BUT genetic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I was unaware that some people thought attraction to young children anything BUT genetic.
    So if it's genetic and the person can't help a preference toward people much, much younger than them, don't you think that it will eventually be more acceptable in society much like homosexuality is (more or less)?

MBTI
    ESFJ

If homosexuality is genetic, then what's to stop anyone from believing that attraction to young children is genetic? Just some food for thought...
    It is trivially true that every action ever taken by a human being is "genetic," in that it is dependent upon genetic precursors. (note: the relevent question is whether the organism is capable of adapting its behaviour in response to incentives, not whether it is "genetic" in the vague and biologically uninformed sense that term is usually applied).

However, that highlights the inability of "geneticness" to act as a guide in making moral choices, since by categorising every choice whatever as morally acceptable, it does not aid us in making a choice between the alternatives at all. It is a negation of choice.

In short, it does not follow from "action x is genetic" that "action x is acceptable." Further, any attempt to introduce the rule "all actions which are genetic are also acceptable," thus making the argument logically valid, is an ethical absurdity, basically reducing us to a situation where "anything goes" (since any action can be trivially reduced to genetics), an amoral stance.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ISTP

So if it's genetic and the person can't help a preference toward people much, much younger than them, don't you think that it will eventually be more acceptable in society much like homosexuality is (more or less)?
    I should point out that homosexuality isn't just genetic (there is a rampant increase of homosexuality based upon the male:female availability), though there is an argument for propensity towards it... that doesn't apply the same as to children. However, what we consider "underage" is society driven and changes according to the times and the society. The only particular "norm" is that the "child" has to be of child-bearing age, normally, although there are exceptions to that too.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I should point out that homosexuality isn't just genetic (there is a rampant increase of homosexuality based upon the male:female availability), though there is an argument for propensity towards it... that doesn't apply the same as to children. However, what we consider "underage" is society driven and changes according to the times and the society. The only particular "norm" is that the "child" has to be of child-bearing age, normally, although there are exceptions to that too.
    Well, actually, I do agree that homosexuality isn't entirely genetic. It seems to me that it's becoming more a fad than anything these days. People who may not really have a homosexual preference may pretend they do to create an image for themselves.

I swear that there are 14-year-olds all over the Internet who list themselves as bi. At 14, I highly doubt they know what they're talking about -- they're just trying to get attention.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w6

Are you asking this just to get attention or is this something you're really on the fence about?

Questions like that make me pretty fucking irrational, but lets see what your answer is.
    "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor." - George Carlin

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I have noticed (obviously) that certain types are capable of debating sensitive subjects without going mental like I do.

Things like peadophilia, slavery, rape, abortion, sexism, get me quite upset, and it does come across when I am debating.

What topics upset you so much that your thinking becomes irrational?
    I'd say only personal topics.

Controversial theoretical topics don't really blurr my ability to think. Ti usually breaks even the most repulsive human acts into manageable sizes which allows me to just observe from a distance and debate without getting carried away emotionally.
    Verbal IQ Test

SubFacor IQ score = 65
    Subscale percentile = 1

You appear to have a very limited vocabulary and lack the ability to identify the correct responses for a variety of different questions. A deficient vocabulary can hinder you in many ways; you may struggle to find the correct words when speaking, fail to understand what others are communicating to you, or come across as inarticulate to others.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Naem View Post
    Are you asking this just to get attention or is this something you're really on the fence about?

Questions like that make me pretty fucking irrational, but lets see what your answer is.
    An INTP that's afraid of change. How interesting.

I was actually asking a sane and rational question.

Not too long ago, homosexual relationships were looked upon as sick and abominable, but in recent years, it's now becoming more acceptable.

For better or for worse, I think this is a ticket that will legalize pedophilia. I'm not saying I agree with it (actually, I couldn't care less), but change happens whether we like it or not.

Acceptance of such a thing may happen tomorrow, or it may happen in the next millennium, but do you really think such an act as pedophilia is always going to be looked down upon? I look at it as the next step in the evolution of sodomy.

Oh, and the people of Ancient Greece, a society founded on rationale, were known to engage in certain pedophile acts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I have noticed (obviously) that certain types are capable of debating sensitive subjects without going mental like I do.

Things like peadophilia, slavery, rape, abortion, sexism, get me quite upset, and it does come across when I am debating.

What topics upset you so much that your thinking becomes irrational?
    I would say that I become irrational when people discuss the following issues:

Expecting people to do certain things in certain ways because of unfair assumptions based on ridiculous and uncontrollable criteria.

People trying to replace ASCII (Just read "the pathetic ASCII defense" I wrote at age 13.)

People trying to eliminate floppy drives/disks.

People who like/support corporations I boycott.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    People trying to replace ASCII (Just read "the pathetic ASCII defense" I wrote at age 13.)
    LONG LIVE ANSI!