User Tag List

123 Last

Default What is reality to you?

Basically, information is constantly flowing into me in infinitely rich detail gathered by my senses. I immediately see EVERYTHING that exists in physical form - structures, large and small, and natural forces acting on those structures. I see in real time like a video camera records visual information, except in much greater detail with four additional senses. It's a 3D world that will never be recreated virtually.

Living "in the moment" is about sensing "real" things - sensing that things exist independently from myself, and observing cause and effect. Being alive to me is sensing physical information and then mastering it. The physical world is one huge playground.

Things that don't exist in physical form and can't be sensed are difficult for me to comprehend, so I don't spend too much time thinking about them. The only reason I even have a vague understanding of "feelings" is not from my experience with my own feelings, but rather my experience with other people's feelings. Being able to observe the effect of my actions and words on other people is the main way I experience and understand "feelings". Were it not for social interaction I wouldn't even experience feelings that didn't have to do with my sensory perception.

Spirituality is non-existent to me - atheism is simply the nature of my being.

What does your reality "look" like and how do you experience it? What is "real" to you?

depends on which entheogen i have consumed.

the physical world never convinced or impressed me much, except if you count "exhausting" as impression.
    the purpose of things lies in how they touch (or push) me (or anyone). they are "real" to the degree they do that.
    reality is the human condition. it is one hundred percent (inter-) subjective. we subscribe to it, albeit mostly involuntarily

in germany we say "wirklichkeit" ("that which has an effect", causality) more often than "realitt" (reality , that which is graspable with a lineal/ruler or any of the left brain hemisphere's means). i am cause and effect. we are cause and effect.

The ability of chemicals to alter our perception of reality is an amazing phenomenon which I love to experience on occasion, but that's a whole other discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    depends on which entheogen i have consumed.

the physical world never convinced or impressed me much, except if you count "exhausting" as impression.
    the purpose of things lies in how they touch (or push) me (or anyone). they are "real" to the degree they do that.
    reality is the human condition. it is one hundred percent (inter-) subjective. we subscribe to it, albeit mostly involuntarily

in germany we say "wirklichkeit" ("that which has an effect", causality) more often than "realitt" (reality , that which is graspable with a lineal/ruler or any of the left brain hemisphere's means). i am cause and effect. we are cause and effect.
    To me, cause and effect absolutely exist independently from us and this is observable in nature. We have the ability to interact with the physical world by creating our own cause and effect. Recognizing the ability to interact and doing so is my reality.

I think what you are saying is that you only see the cause and effect that has importance to you. My question is, how do you determine that importance?

well obviously love would have an effect on how i determine importance, just as greed, convenience and stuff. all i have to do in live is take responsibility for myself, so i am in deed supposed to "make up" the importance, but i need to study (objective) effects (on subjects) before i can do that.

so basically reality is a crime-scene, an intrigue, a conspiracy, everything (in our mind) is initially lying about what its true effect is. (samsara, babylon ...)

MBTI
    fool

What does your reality "look" like and how do you experience it? What is "real" to you?
    I'm aware of my surroundings and I notice when something changes in my surroundings, or if someone has something new on, a new hairdo or something. I spot 'em. (Though sometimes am oblivious). But I do see and notice my environment, can't deal with clutter etc.

When in a space I have nothing to do (e.g. a lesson) I often notice myself scanning my environment, especially the roof. But I have to concentrate real hard and have a really boring time in order to do it - I'm trying to scan my environment and the space.

Most of the time I feel like I'm not paying any attention to the reality around me - I see it, but it's like a hologram. I look through objects. When I look somewhere, I can't look directly into it... How should I say, they feel hollow and I can't concentrate to pay attention. I always look "beyond" the object. But if it's people, it's different. I probably pay most of my attention to people - not to their appearance but their essence. I only fixate my gaze upon people and do it intensely.

My reality is ... It's like lacking the colours that hit your face or the shapes or the space and the relations between objects. I mean I do see them - but it's like, like I said, a hologram. The air feels more real than objects - or not the air, but the density of everything surrounding. Maybe that's why I always have to touch things, I have to feel them, to make sure they are real ? I mean I _know_ they are real, but to really feel it's real.

My reality is behind of that what is presented, to me, that is more real.
    The abstract, the atmosphere, the network of connections behind the observed physical reality.

I don't know. This is an interesting topic, never really thought of it.
    I wish I could explain better. E.g. walking from school to home I see this fir tree and its branches, I kind of pass the fact its a tree with branches and connect it with that with some funny tv show I saw last night and showing the middle finger (the cones) and being pissed at me and find it extremely amusing, without seeing it as a tree. Which I knew it was though.
    Well maybe that's an awful example and has nothing to do with it but anyway.

These kinds of connections are real and I find great amusement from it.
    My reality... If I had to... Well a good example is the movie Amelie. Although the character had taken her imagination even further.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    well obviously love would have an effect on how i determine importance, just as greed, convenience and stuff. all i have to do in live is take responsibility for myself, so i am in deed supposed to "make up" the importance, but i need to study (objective) effects (on subjects) before i can do that.
    So the difference between you and I is subjectivity vs objectivity? You experience reality with greater amounts of subjectivity, whereas I am the opposite.

i don't really want to go into such a comparison (but it seems to be stereotypically true ...)

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    I'm aware of my surroundings and I notice when something changes in my surroundings, or if someone has something new on, a new hairdo or something. I spot 'em. (Though sometimes am oblivious).

When in a space I have nothing to do (e.g. a lesson) I often notice myself scanning my environment, especially the roof. But I have to concentrate real hard and have a really boring time in order to do it - I'm trying to scan my environment and the space.

Most of the time I feel like I'm not paying any attention to the reality around me - I see it, but it's like a hologram. I look through objects. When I look somewhere, I can't look directly into it... How should I say, they feel hollow and I can't concentrate to pay attention. I always look "beyond" the object. But if it's people, it's different. I probably pay most of my attention to people - not to their appearance but their essence. I only fixate my gaze upon people and do it intensely.

My reality is ... It's like lacking the colours that hit your face or the shapes or the space and the relations between objects. I mean I do see them - but it's like, like I said, a hologram. The air feels more real than objects, the wind feels more real than a tree. Maybe that's why I always have to touch things, I have to feel them, to make sure they are real ? I mean I _know_ they are real, but to really feel it's real.

My reality is behind of that what is presented, to me, that is more real.
    The abstract, the atmosphere, the network of connections behind the physical reality.

I don't know. This is an interesting topic, never really thought of it.
    I wish I could explain better. E.g. walking from school to home I see this fir tree and its branches, I kind of pass the fact its a tree with branches and connect it with that with some funny tv show I saw last night and showing the middle finger (the cones) and being pissed at me and found it extremely amusing, without seeing it as a tree. Which I knew it was though.
    Well maybe that's an awful example and has nothing to do with it but anyway.

These kinds of connections are real and I find great amusement from it.
    My reality... If I had to... Well a good example is the movie Amelie. Although the character had taken her imagination even further.
    That's a perfect example of what I'm trying to understand!

Where you see a tree and connect it to something completely unrelated (to me at least), I see a tree and think of what it really is. I store information about its real, objective existence, and if I make any connections it's probably thinking about how I can use this tree.

However, I usually go more in depth into an objects existence rather than just seeing it's overall shape and structure. I love not seeing the tree as a tree, but all the individual objects that make up the larger structure.

I am the same way, but I am continuously scanning because it's just natural for me. It's not boring to me - it's intensely stimulating, and even more stimulating if I interact with it. I don't have to concentrate on doing this as information just flows in. I cannot turn it off!