User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you go to graduation?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • To hell with graduation

25 36.23%
  • My Mom made me go

11 15.94%
  • I went for the lolz

7 10.14%
  • I genuinely wanted to go

26 37.68%
First 6789 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I skipped graduation several times, I even skipped my election. Actually I am the president of the United States
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I went to my high school graduation. I guess the fact that it was the last time I saw a lot of those people made it meaningful to me. I'm glad I went.

I skipped my college graduation, and have no regrets. Part of it was that I had to finish an internship credit over the summer, and didn't like the choice of graduating before I graduated, or graduating several months after I finished. And I know this is going to sound weird, but the other part was that I didn't want my family coming up to my school to see me graduate.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    only SJs like graduations.
    I'm not sure if this is supposed to be an insult :rolli:, given the widespread love for SJs on these forums, but I like ceremonies. I don't think that not wanting to attend graduation means that you're not proud of your accomplishments, necessarily, but that you don't need or seek that sort of outside validation.

My HS graduation was a great big huge event for me-- I was one of a class of 67 people (small private school). I bawled my eyes out. Junior high and college graduations were less emotional but still important to me, in terms of marking the end of one phase and the beginning of another. I think I might have felt differently if I'd attended a huge school where I didn't know anyone and the ceremony was like three hours long.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

there's a tongue in my cheek

(also, a snake in my boot)

and a world up my ass. :|

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Understood.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

I went to HS graduation and had fun. I missed college, because I was out of state for post season NCAA baseball tourney and now regret it. I missed all of senior week too, where I probably would have solidified some bonds and found out what girls liked me the previous 4 years. I came home to an empty campus. It was kinda weird. At the time, I didn't care about the ceremony itself and was shocked that 2 other seniors were considering skipping the games to attend, which they did not.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

Meh, I didn't mind attending my high school graduation. I mean, when something becomes once in a lifetime, to skip the chance isn't worth it. I even attended my Sober Grad Night party and had a lot of fun before the party really did end.

However, subsequent graduations aren't... well... that great afterwords.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I had to go. We were in Canada, and there were about 10 of us on the team graduating, and they were like 'Oh yeah, you guys gotta go to graduation, don't you?'

So, they drove us down just in time, and ended up going to Canada again.

I skipped the Team Brunch/Giving gifts and good words to those who are leaving the team thing....for particular reasons. Mostly at the time I never wanted to see those people again, and I don't think I could've gone without having a mental breakdown or just being extremely bitter about everything and saying 'FUCK YOU!!!!' and running off, even to my best friends.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I'm thinking people who skip this are not proud of themselves for whatever reason.
    I guess this could apply to some people. Personally, I hate being at the center of attention. I can take pride in my accomplishments but I don't have to wave a huge flag to notify the whole world about it, to me it's more enjoyable to revel in my accomplishments on my own. I did go to my 9th and 12th grade graduation, mostly because it was expected and my family was there. I can still feel the anxiety when I get flashbacks from those days more than 10 years ago.

I finally put my foot down when I graduated with my BA and refused to go. I have a year to go with my MA, I might attend the graduation since it is most likely going to be my top in regards of degrees and my family probably wants to attend. But I think it's more likely that I'll skip it and make the most of the fact by celebrating either on my own or with people I actually want to be with rather than a room filled with strangers.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I skipped my high school graduation.

The reason I did it, was because I was too afraid of walking across the stage, I didn't really want to accept that high school was over, and I didn't want to wear the black dress shoes that were required... they hurt my feet. I gave all my graduation tickets to a girl who had a big family, and needed more space for them. My mother was upset when she found out I had done this, but she got over it, and I went to get my diploma after the ceremony was over.

I do regret it now, because I think it would have been nice to watch all my friends graduate. I just wish I hadn't been so scared, you know? Since then, I've attended other people's graduations... so I have at least an idea of what I missed. My family still teases me about not graduating high school, and I keep saying "I got the diploma, stop making it sound like I'm a failure!"