User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you go to graduation?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • To hell with graduation

25 36.23%
  • My Mom made me go

11 15.94%
  • I went for the lolz

7 10.14%
  • I genuinely wanted to go

26 37.68%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm not the most ceremony oriented person in the world but. over 30% of american teenagers/young adults drop out of high school, when they already spent 10+ years in the education system, etc. This is not to mention how high school being open to everyone for free in America isn't something that's alawys been available.

I could go on to say why graduating from high school is important, but the point is school isn't cut for everyone, and for those who do do well in it, ceremonies are generally the only real way of making recognition about it all. I know that's idealistic, and yes you can always determine if you want to attend or not, but having the opportunity to be represented is well enough.

I don't, however, understand this brutal selfish attitude of "It's MY graduation, why should I attend a ceremony for anyone else if I don't wanna go?!" My friend was the first of his family to ever graduate from High school.. it was a big deal for all of them to see him walk down the aisle. It's a proud thing to see your child do that. It's not like something you did was SO important that day that you couldn't take 3 hours of your time to attend a ceremony.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    I

Graduation attire is $70. I spoke to my mom about the high cost, and she said yeah she agrees. Screw graduation!

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I think it's important to attend graduations for several reasons:

1.) To celebrate the attainment of the end result, whether you think you had to work "hard" or not.

2.) To commemorate the conclusion of your schooling thus far; thus marking the beginnning of a new stage in your life.

3.) To Have FUN! To be proud of yourself! And it helps you be thankful for even having the opportunity to go to school!

So I say GO!
    Is it not possible to do all of those things in your own way? Rather than a cookie cutter ceremony?

I celebrate my achievement through quiet contemplation and reflection.

I don't feel a need to "mark" stages of my life, my life is continous and fluid, I'm not sure of the purpose of marking it.

I am proud of myself whenever I think of my achievement, I don't need someone else to tell me/show me/be involved at all, for me to feel that way.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Is it not possible to do all of those things in your own way? Rather than a cookie cutter ceremony?

I celebrate my achievement through quiet contemplation and reflection.

I don't feel a need to "mark" stages of my life, my life is continous and fluid, I'm not sure of the purpose of marking it.

I am proud of myself whenever I think of my achievement, I don't need someone else to tell me/show me/be involved at all, for me to feel that way.
    What's wrong with cookie cutter? I've never understood everyone's dire concerns about being SO independent from the norm. Like they feel this NEED almost to rebel against everything people are 'suppose' to do, even if it's for their benefit/doesn't harm them in any way. Labeling the ceremony as cookie cutter doesn't make it any less important for some people.. it's just insulting and degrading things that some peopl found special.

And also, sometimes the people you graduated with find this important. My best friend really didn't like the ceremony.. but I'd have been upset if she hadn't been there to walk down the aisle with me. People take ceremonies in different ways.. but why deny that it's important? Because in the end, just because you don't think it is, doesn't mean it's not.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Get up onstage. Skipping's for prom.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I wasn't friends with any of the people I graduated with and ended up walking with this snobby girl who found me because she didn't want to have to walk with this overly ditsy girl. I tossed the sashes and medals in the corner of my room before they made me go... actually that's probably why I agreed to go. I really don't see the point. Everyone sectioned off into their cliques... it was not the "oh, we all came together and forgot our differences" graduation. There were over 500 of us, I don't know... it was just as fake as the previous 4 years... I'd have rather been free of that on the last day of classes.
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

LII

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Ideally I'll be the woman

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    What's wrong with cookie cutter? I've never understood everyone's dire concerns about being SO independent from the norm. Like they feel this NEED almost to rebel against everything people are 'suppose' to do, even if it's for their benefit/doesn't harm them in any way. Labeling the ceremony as cookie cutter doesn't make it any less important for some people.. it's just insulting and degrading things that some peopl found special.
    All I said is that some people prefer to do it in thier own way, I never mentioned better. Perhaps this is Fe related, Fe might need achievments to be recognised and shared with others for that achievement to feel valid. Whereas perhaps Fi (although I can really only speak for myself here) may feel that by sharing the achievement in such an open way, it make it feel inauthentic, less valid.

And also, sometimes the people you graduated with find this important. My best friend really didn't like the ceremony.. but I'd have been upset if she hadn't been there to walk down the aisle with me. People take ceremonies in different ways.. but why deny that it's important? Because in the end, just because you don't think it is, doesn't mean it's not.
    If someone wanted me to go, I would, but only for their sake as I feel no real compulsion myself.

heart on fire

:

I don't, however, understand this brutal selfish attitude of "It's MY graduation, why should I attend a ceremony for anyone else if I don't wanna go?!" My friend was the first of his family to ever graduate from High school.. it was a big deal for all of them to see him walk down the aisle. It's a proud thing to see your child do that. It's not like something you did was SO important that day that you couldn't take 3 hours of your time to attend a ceremony.
    Why assume a parent was hurt by the decision? Maybe they understood and supported the reasons behind the decision? Maybe they didn't want to go either? Maybe they couldn't?

My graduation would have cost me over $100 dollars (because they wanted us to wear these special robes and they weren't available for rental) I made $3.35 an hour in those days and I was paying for my orthodontic braces, making car payments and saving for my college expenses (my parents were not supportive of my decision to go to college) There's no way I spending 100 extra dollars to stand on a stage with a bunch of snide people who had shown me nothing but contempt and harassment for years because of what they felt my economic status was. It's just that simple.

Besides Dad had a much better time at the bar that night and Mom felt a lot better staying home on her oxygen and I was able to work and cover a shift for someone who really wanted to see her older sister graduate at another school, so take your self-righteous judgment and apply it somewhere else where it'll do more good.

And also, sometimes the people you graduated with find this important.
    My friends were older and had graduated from a different school. You make too many assumptions about people you've never met and you don't know their situations.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    so take your self-righteous judgment and apply it somewhere else where it'll do more good.

You make too many assumptions about people you've never met and you don't know their situations.
    Is there a reason for this sudden aggression? I'm not saying YOU were wrong in particular. I didn't give any specifics at all, as a matter of fact. I was only defending the ceremony itself. People think that their particular situations make the entire ceremony a waste and insult it as if it were. I don't think that people should be so sour towards it just because they thought they were better off without it. That's an individual basis. I never said "Heart you should have gone because your friends would have wanted you there."

heart on fire

Is there a reason for this sudden aggression? I'm not saying YOU were wrong in particular. I didn't give any specifics at all, as a matter of fact. I was only defending the ceremony itself. People think that their particular situations make the entire ceremony a waste and insult it as if it were.
    You made a pretty strong statement about people who didn't go to graduation.

You got a response in kind.

Edit: My fault for assuming that your making a strong, judgmental post meant you were ready and willing to receive the same from the group you were critiquing---so I apologize to you for being too strong in my response.

But to answer your larger point about graduation ceremonies---It's not a be all end all thing. It's just a ceremony! It's the diploma (or GED) that matters.

I got married at the JP too. I didn't buy an expensive dress.