User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you go to graduation?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • To hell with graduation

25 36.23%
  • My Mom made me go

11 15.94%
  • I went for the lolz

7 10.14%
  • I genuinely wanted to go

26 37.68%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISXJ

My high school graduating class was only 42 people, so we were a pretty tight-knit group, and it only took about an hour so it was no big deal. It didn't even occur to me that I had a choice to not go.

College graduation I went to because I had a great experience with the school, I was proud of my accomplishments, and because I was walking with my best friends. It was hot, and the gowns were basically made of plastic trash-bag material, but it was memorable because my family and some close family friends came. It was fun, and we went out for a celebration afterward.

I'll finish up grad school in May, and I want nothing at all to do with that ceremony. The amount of personal money, blood, sweat, and tears I have put into this degree is ridiculous. There is no way on earth I am spending another $70 on a cap and gown after having to do a whole semester of full-time work that I had to pay to do. My professors have been great for the most part, but if given the choice again, I would not return to my current school. Just mail me my diploma, give me my certification, and never contact me again, please!

MBTI
    I

Meh, I don't want to go to my graduation if I don't have to. My cousin's is on the same day and hers is grad school (mine is undergrad), so hopefully most of my family goes to that one and not mine. I don't see much point in these 'major' ceremonies.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm graduating this year. Will skip though

in beginning of the year when you apply for schedule, etc. i was forced to pay the fee for cheap ass suit package. Which was like $40.

Still not gonna go. $40 was bad enough as it is.
    I ain't wasting more of my time and money. Especially since my school graduate # are like at in the 500's.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I'm thinking people who skip this are not proud of themselves for whatever reason.
    No. The only reason I'm participating in any ceremony is for the benefit of other people (my ISFJ mom). I don't need a ceremony to tell me what I've accomplished and no one in the audience is going to care about anyone except the one person they are there to see, anyways.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I purposely skipped my high school graduation, my undergraduate graduation (I spent that smoking cow-piss grown over-flourishing ganga at the foothills of the Himalayas - and booked my trekking to coincide with my graduation), my Masters graduation, and will most definitely skip the ceremony for receiving my PhD.

My one and only graduation I've attended - Middle school. Meaning, graduation ceremony can be crossed off the list of 'experience', been there, done that....and, I am highly skeptic of the institutionalization of knowledge.

My blood, sweat and tears are my pride....each grain of knowledge gained, the process, is my validation. I don't need a ceremony (with stupid traditions and pompous circumstance).

The only worth of a degree (and the institutionalization of knowledge) that I agree with is the standardization of expertise. For better and more efficient applicability in the world at a practical level. Beyond that, a degree can go fuck itself. All my paper degrees are in a suitcase in my parents room (I think)

* yes, my parents were heartbroken. They knew it was coming though, esp. cuz I refused to also pay $$ to get dumbass grad pictures (and book a timing, stand in line, dress up, blah blah)

MBTI
    ENTP

Wow lot of parents here are very concerned

my mother (father overseas) takes extreme care for me. Be it diet, habits, etc etc.
    But when i told her i didnt want to go she was like: alrite.

and that was that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Wait, there was a choice? I mean, to be honest, I didn't think of it in that way. I didn't see it as a pointless ceremony or a stupid ritual. Sure, that was a large part of it, but.. to be honest, I'm not so bold as to say that, while I wasn't particularly close to or fond of my high school (seeing as I went to college during my final year), that leaving was a completely painless process. High school graduation felt like a rite of passage - the burden of having to go to school everyday, to have my life determined for me, was over. And my friends, well, this was a signal for the end of our friendships, unless we determined to stay together. I went too far away to remain part of the "loop", so it was basically goodbye.

Sure, the black robes and pompous nature of graduation are somewhat over the top. But to say it's a complete waste of time.. I dunno. It felt like I was moving on to the next stage. I could choose to leave college anytime I want to, go be a carnie for the rest of my life. I can make choices now. The ceremony just sort of let me say goodbye to simplicity. I wouldn't really have wanted to miss graduation because of that fact.. it was a little validation, a recognition (finally) that I was an adult and responsible for my actions now...

I'm sure as hell not missing my college graduation... this place has given me so much. Not in terms of actual education, though I have REALLY developed my ability to analyze text and figure out what's really being said behind it - I love it! But the main thing I've learned in college is how to really interact with people. It's.. different than how I used to be. I think that's why I used to think I had asperger's syndrome. College has forced me, through my job, to develop and grow. The diploma won't be a symbol for the end of my journey, but the beginning of a hopefully good future.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I'm thinking people who skip this are not proud of themselves for whatever reason.
    What an Fe thing to say

My ENFJ friend told me that this must be the case for me because I didn't care about my ceremonies. I went to my high school and two college graduations, but I really just went for my parents' sake (especially my ISFJ mom ). I was certainly proud, but I didn't need a ceremony to prove it.

My friend was irate that he wasn't invited to my masters graduation.. absolutely furious and hurt, when I couldn't give a damn that I was there myself and my immediate family were the only ones I'd invited anyway. Ah, well.

MBTI
    INTP

High school graduation was extremely low-key at my school. There was no ceremony, no speeches. Our teachers were available to hand out our reports and then we just stood around in the school hall chatting.

The first graduation ceremony I ever went to was for my college degree. Partner and I graduated at the same time. I was expecting it to be boring (which it was). What I didn't expect was that I got choked up when I got handed my degree and when I watched partner get his. I'm not entirely sure why. Proud of finishing, maybe (my last year was hard for personal reasons).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Thank god there is no such a thing in Italy. I would have surely skipped. It's not that I'm not proud of myself, it's that not proud of my "academic" achievements, since I always considered school as a useless waste of time, deep down. I recognize its usefulness as a means to enter specific niches, but I personally give zero value to the whole thing. My mother cringes and my girlfriend (both ISFJs) always get angry when I say stuff like this, but hey, that's what I think. Plus, I never worked hard for it. Sitting down on a chair is not my idea of working hard.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp