123 Last

Thread: Do you do this?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Do you do this?

Question for all people.

When you read someone's post or hear someone talk, do you feel the feelings they feel? Do you have emotional, physical reactions to other posters? There are some people whose posts I can't read because I get empty and tense in my back. I'm talking like -- it's OBVIOUS. Don't just think and try and give me a crazy guess. If it's not strong, just don't say anything.

Follow up question: If yes, would you consider yourself sensitive?

Follow up question: Are you uncomfortable with errors? Do you fix people's lives?

_____

Random questions: Are you obsessed with yourself? With your own mind? I think MBTI does that to you. It sends you off into a thinking spiral.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It happens to me when someone online is being group attacked - especially if I know the person to have suicidal thoughts or I know other details about their anxiety and/or depression. That affects me quite deeply both emotionally and physically.

There are other scenarios that I keep referring back to in my mind and work to get a sense of how it is for the person from the inside. This is especially true of people who baffle me, or who are going through something that is hard for me to imagine. It doesn't happen immediately, but my mind is continually drawn to it to better understand it in the marrow of my bones.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Toonia, in your example, do you get suicidal? (empathy) or do you feel compassion for them (sympathy)?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Short answer: yes, yes and yes

long answer:

1) Yes, I feel what others feel. Even through posts, though it's not as intense as irl. I find that each kind of communication adds to the intensity. Which would mean that forum posts are the weakest kind. Live chat makes it slightly intenser because people are less able to hide things. Add a voice, and the intonation will make the connection I have with them stronger. You can hear the trembling, the breathing, the way they pick their words. Add a face and bodylanguage, and you get even more information of em. And the strongest of all for me, is physical touch. If I touch someone, who's feeling an intense emotion, I live it as strongly as that person does, if not stronger as I'm bound to have some emotional reaction of my own to that flood of emotions.

As for an example: I've helped a friend go through a particularly nasty break-up. When I was talking to him, I not only felt his emotions but also got his physical symptoms: I felt nauseous, had a head ache and my heart felt ripped to shreds. And this was only while talking to him online on msn. I asked him at that point how he was feeling. He described the exact same symptoms. (note: this is very rare as people aren't often filled with this kind of raw emotion)

2) People have been telling me I'm oversensitive all my life. So I guess I am.

3) As emotionally draining as it can be to get bad vibes from someone, it is equally awesome to get good vibes from someone. I find that emotions have the capacity for the same intensity on both sides, good and bad. So you're bound to try and help them sort out their life, not only coz you're that nice, but also because it will improve your own buzz.

Edit: forgot to answer the random question: yes and yes as I do quite a bit of self-reflection, but that was already true before I discovered MBTI
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

When reading posts that have a lot of feeling in them I'll often have an emotional reaction, good or bad, but I don't feel what the poster is feeling, I can sympathise deeply and strongly but I don't experience it and even if that was possible for me I probably wouldn't allow it. Same irl.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    When reading posts that have a lot of feeling in them I'll often have an emotional reaction, good or bad, but I don't feel what the poster is feeling, I can sympathise deeply and strongly but I don't experience it and even if that was possible for me I probably wouldn't allow it. Same irl.
    Procrastination ftw. I couldn't work out how to articulate what it's like for me when I first read the OP, and then lo and behold, Trinity put it into words.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Yes, very much so Edahn. It happens with real life situations too, when someone will be expressing emotions or thoughts, I'll easily pick up and sympathize. When someone in my family is upset, I get upset..it's a weird phenomenon.

Even when a person isn't openly and obviously expressing emotions in their posts, I can sometimes pick up some underlying emotional stances, whether they be correct or not..but yes, I can easily feel emotionally connected.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

So, Edahn, when are you going to accept your innate ENFPness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I can echo what toonia said about the group dynamics.

I also detect feelings, but share them only in very rare occasions where I can ascertain that the post's tone and general mood is consistent with that of the person behind the monitor writing it. I don't mean to say that everybody is a filthy liar, but I'm saying that most of us who write posts do it without outward expression, just letting the fingers dance on the keyboard, which is not usually how we share deep feelings in a real-life situation. Exceptions make themselves apparent. Where this is not possible, I feel there are certain barriers that make that sort of sympathy "feel not right", so I don't voice it. This isn't to say that I don't believe the post, but simply that sympathy alone feels insufficient.
    Not really.

1.To be honest I don't feel their emotions but if it something more dractic involved I will try to use logic to see what kind of efect this could have on this person.

2. I would not call myself sensitive.

3. I don't like errors but I don't care enough to change someones life. (in general)