User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Do you do this?

MBTI
    INTJ

Do you feel what they feel? Or feel what they say they feel? Or feel what you feel they feel?

I'm aware sometimes of sympathetic responses arising from, rightly or wrongly, thinking I have had analogous experiences. But I'm INTJ. It even says in the type descriptions that we use Ni to mimic actual emotional awareness. You guys? Who knows what crazy stuff you guys are up to with this Ne/Fi/Fe weirdness.

Sensitive? Moi? I doubt it. Anxious, yes; sensitive, no.

I don't fix people's lives unless they come close, really close, and then they're in for a dose of unbridled "reality, man!" complete with plans and counter-plans and overarching abstract narratives--unless they do what I really hope they'll do and start interacting with those plans and ideas and assert their right to modify them for themselves, preferably telling me about it too so I know what's real as well, in which case I settle back and feel pleased, even relaxed.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Question for all people.

When you read someone's post or hear someone talk, do you feel the feelings they feel? Do you have emotional, physical reactions to other posters? There are some people whose posts I can't read because I get empty and tense in my back. I'm talking like -- it's OBVIOUS. Don't just think and try and give me a crazy guess. If it's not strong, just don't say anything.

Follow up question: If yes, would you consider yourself sensitive?

Follow up question: Are you uncomfortable with errors? Do you fix people's lives?

_____

Random questions: Are you obsessed with yourself? With your own mind? I think MBTI does that to you. It sends you off into a thinking spiral.

i agree with blue...you're such an enfp.

when i read someone's posts i have a whole mental picture of how they're feeling, how they say it with body language and everything...i get a huge sense of someone's personality through posts....i don't think i feel what they're feeling...i just get a sense of it...in the way that you can smell what someone is eating w/o tasting it.

yes...i can be sensitive...not easily offended but highly aware of the emotional state of others yeah.

and..no, i'm not the least bit obsessed with myself or anyone or anything...you freak.

and..no...mbti hasn't had an odd effect on my mind or sent me into a thinking spiral...i just see it as somewhat of a shortcut of getting to know more about somebody...it's just a part of the puzzle...right along with where you grew up, how many siblings you have...that sort of thing...it's part of your make up.

eta: oh...and do i try to fix people? no...if someone comes to me for advice...i'll gladly try to help them through it...brainstorm with them...and hopefully show them a new perspective but i don't give unsolicited advice...i don't see people as broken and it's not my place to say when someone needs to change.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP

When you read someone's post or hear someone talk, do you feel the feelings they feel? Do you have emotional, physical reactions to other posters?
    I don't, but I have intuitive empathy. It's very hard to draw from my empathy by relating something to me... but my empathy is boundless if it is not being solicited, if even indirectly. It's more at work in regard to the way I conduct my life than in how I respond to the communication of others. It's more global than specific.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I don't feel the actual feelings. But I can usually put myself into that person's mindset if I have sufficient information. I will read a very intensely emotional post or account of something but actually "feel" nothing.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Question for all people.

When you read someone's post or hear someone talk, do you feel the feelings they feel? Do you have emotional, physical reactions to other posters? There are some people whose posts I can't read because I get empty and tense in my back. I'm talking like -- it's OBVIOUS. Don't just think and try and give me a crazy guess. If it's not strong, just don't say anything.

Follow up question: If yes, would you consider yourself sensitive?

Follow up question: Are you uncomfortable with errors? Do you fix people's lives?
    Random questions: Are you obsessed with yourself? With your own mind? I think MBTI does that to you. It sends you off into a thinking spiral.
    yes, yes, it depends.

I've sort of learnt to block it for sanity's sake,but Elaur described the degrees of feeling well from posting, to hearing voices, being in people's presence etc. The only difference is I don't touch people, unless they are really close to me....barriers dissolve. I can't explain any more than that.

Sensitive, I think the answers probably obvious. I try to hide it (or suppress it to a degree), but it leaks out.

I learnt my lesson about trying to fix people big time. But sometimes I offer a shoulder to cry on. People seem to like that from me - I'm kinda awkward about it, but it's genuine.

I'm totally obsessed with myself, I'm great! I'm pretty introspective, but I guess it not my mind but more how I relate to people, and it is so not hard to send me off on thinking spiral.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Other's posts usually don't provoke my feelings, but I enjoy helping people solve their problems. I'm about the same in real life. Emotionally I'm pretty detached from other's feelings.

Are you uncomfortable with errors?
    Yes but mostly only when I make them.

Do you fix people's lives?
    I cannot fix anyone's life but I help them fix their own. That I do frequently.

Are you obsessed with yourself? With your own mind?
    Not really.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In response to OP:

I empathize with people when I talk to them and feel what I think they're feeling; especially when someone experiences trauma, the pain echoes in my head and I can't shake it.

But I don't normally really have a physical reaction to it, it's all via ethereal connection.

I don't like errors. I used to want to fix things for people, and I feel bad if I can't. But i don't lose any sleep over it either. I realized long ago lots of times to have the problem resolved, they have to be the ones to make the choices and grow through it; my doing it for them resolves nothing; my job is to advise, encourage, equip, and accompany.

So in other words, I have drawn a really strong boundary around myself where other people's pain and choices are not my direct problem anymore.

And to answer the last, yes, I can get very self-absorbed in my thoughts, although not as much as I used to I think.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When you read someone's post or hear someone talk, do you feel the feelings they feel?

Yes, every day all day. Even on posters. It's a pivotal part of my life, of realizing how to get along with people.

If yes, would you consider yourself sensitive?

It's not the sensitive where it's like you start crying when you see anything tragic, it's something different.

If they allow me to fix their life then I will try to help them. It's mostly the person that has to do the fixing, but I can lend a helping hand if it's around something I'm good at. I hate seeing someone not living to their fullest. I also hate errors.

I guess sorta. It's more of an obsession with introspection, from introspection I can figure out how I will react to something and how to avoid feeling that way. I can also figure out how to more efficiently think and function through introspection, say for example I catch that something I'm doing to try to convey my point isn't working, I will correct this in my mind so I don't do it again.

You are definitely right to say it sends you on a thinking spiral, it's cool though.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP

Only on very rare occasions has this happened to me
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    The only difference is I don't touch people, unless they are really close to me....barriers dissolve. I can't explain any more than that.
    Well touching is indeed very intimate and I only do it with people that really need it or that I'm very close with, though it also happens accidentily sometimes and then it feels like being zapped if they're really emotional. Also...if you do touch and it's all raw emotion, there's a point where you don't know anymore where your emotions begin and where theirs end. That can be incredibly confusing. It's hard not to get in over your head at that point.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”