User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: The Paranormal

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Haven't experienced anything, so I am skeptical. I mean, some weird things do happen, but I file them under my imagination or mere chance, depending on what it is exactly.

MBTI
    INxJ

I watch Ghost Hunters sometimes. I preferred the first season when they did everything they could to debunk a case. Now, I'm suspicious of their results. I've considered joining a local ghost hunting group to investigate for myself, but I realized I would have to be near other people.

I'm undecided on the paranormal matter.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't think I've experienced anything, and I'm skeptical about the 'paranormal' existing as all. I desist from watching some horror movies because they scare me like anything, though.

MBTI
    ENTP

There was this experiment on this kid show called mystery hunters on YTV.
    Despite the fact they never show any thing decent, or even close to mystery, i think this experiement was pretty awesome.

Basically, they brought kids to somewhat rundown old hospital. Where some section was going under reconstruction. The Experimentor got like 20 kids to participate.

He first started the experiment by telling them about the history of the place. And famous ghost sightings, etc etc. Of course all of this is bullshit. Not only is the hospital not very old, there has been absolutely no ghost sightings even near this area.

Experiemnt 1:
    This corner is a cold spot.
    (in reality, exact same temperature.)
    Response: majority of the kids reacted saying they definitely feel cold while standing at this spot.

Experiemnt 2:
    This hallway is famous sighting of a white spark/ghost.
    (in reality, absolutely nothing. i mean nothing is there)
    response: more than half responded saying they saw something white passed by. Not by one. Often few kids pointed out the "white figure" simultaneously. While few others followed soon after.

In the end, he told the kids the truth. But still more than half the kids still believed this place was haunted by some ghosts.

This shows power of environmental factor when combined with imagination.
    And i think most ghost sightings are this.
    and of course, car headlights.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by blanclait View Post
    good post
    Exactly. People don't realize just how susceptible humans really are to suggestion.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Did anyone else here read the book

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

by Carl Segan

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Exactly. People don't realize just how susceptible humans really are to suggestion.
    Something like Forer effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I watch Ghost Hunters sometimes. I preferred the first season when they did everything they could to debunk a case. Now, I'm suspicious of their results. I've considered joining a local ghost hunting group to investigate for myself, but I realized I would have to be near other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Did anyone else here read the book

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

by Carl Segan
    No, Anti, but what is it about?

Quote Originally Posted by blanclait View Post
    There was this experiment on this kid show called mystery hunters on YTV.
    Despite the fact they never show any thing decent, or even close to mystery, i think this experiement was pretty awesome.

Basically, they brought kids to somewhat rundown old hospital. Where some section was going under reconstruction. The Experimentor got like 20 kids to participate.

He first started the experiment by telling them about the history of the place. And famous ghost sightings, etc etc. Of course all of this is bullshit. Not only is the hospital not very old, there has been absolutely no ghost sightings even near this area.

Experiemnt 1:
    This corner is a cold spot.
    (in reality, exact same temperature.)
    Response: majority of the kids reacted saying they definitely feel cold while standing at this spot.

Experiemnt 2:
    This hallway is famous sighting of a white spark/ghost.
    (in reality, absolutely nothing. i mean nothing is there)
    response: more than half responded saying they saw something white passed by. Not by one. Often few kids pointed out the "white figure" simultaneously. While few others followed soon after.

In the end, he told the kids the truth. But still more than half the kids still believed this place was haunted by some ghosts.

This shows power of environmental factor when combined with imagination.
    And i think most ghost sightings are this.
    and of course, car headlights.
    Hmm, interesting. But how old were the kids? Adults will not be so easily swayed.

MBTI
    ENTP

^
    If i recall correctly it was b/w the age of 8-14 (location: Britain)

True. if adults were told that this was a setup, they would not likely to believe what they just saw.

But what's interesting here is that the children were quite susceptible for these so called "paranormal experiences." So when they grow older (of course not these kids), they will use their childhood "parnormal experiences" to justfiy what they just saw. While a normal person would ignore it as nothing (and i'm sure it is really nothing).

Also
    i saw some asian ghost hunting shows back in the days. And they always hire some sort of climatologist? who checked the air flow of the location. And every single time, the climatologist would say this place has bad air flow or bad Qi.

So my theory here is that, these "haunted places" share some common qualities.

And subconsciously those qualities work as a trigger to put our mind in this "state" that is susceptible for hallucinations.

eg. i hear a lot of ghost sightings in schools in Asia, but they are not so common North America.
    Reason being that, there are just so many horror movies in Asia that is dedicated to school horror. Therefore the brain makes connections with "scare factors" like empty class room, sound of water droplets in the school washroom, etc. with ghosts.

This causes the person to enter this unstable state. Who may again mistake this state as ghost being near. Rather its them being uncomfortable b/c the brain just made an association.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm a total sucker for the subject of the paranormal. If there is a ghost show on, I will watch it, no matter how lame it is. I don't know if I actually believe in ghosts in the traditional sense, and I don't think I'd probably be the type they'd appear to, even if they do exist.
    Something Witty