User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your reaction?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bye bye!

    27 46.55%
  • I am in love with you, don't go!

    14 24.14%
  • Who are you?

    20 34.48%
  • *shrug*

    10 17.24%
  • About time! Stay away...

    3 5.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 456

Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: I'm leaving.

  1. #51
    Filthy Apes! Kalach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    My thoughts exactly. They know we are foreigners and they know we don't know the culture, so we would have to do something quite offending if they were to get mad.
    Eh, that's a complex one. You'll be travelling through a lot of places where unfamiliar white face means Russian. In China, and if you're not too close to a border, white means "tried hard to be Chinese, could try harder." This really isn't a multi-cultural society. They do make allowances for foreigners being gormless or dull or barbarian, but not for foreigners having their own, differing value system. So if someone shows up eager to assert independent value, he's likely to not make friends too quick. But I'm guessing you're more interested in getting to know people and seeing what's around, you'll do fine.

    Corruption! That's the ticket. Masses of corruption. As if the structure of society were based around it. Which in China especially, it is. If you're not Chinese and poor it can be quite the benign game. In the -Stan countries and close to the borders where you'll find lots of Chinese military, it's likely to be more cut throat.



    It's gonna be GREAT!

  2. #52
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Not going to Uzbekistan.



    Why? Only thing I read was that there are some minor conflicts between the russians and the rest of the population.
    Let's just say someone I knew got into big trouble in Kazakhstan when he went abroad from the U.S., and thinks were extremely tough for him there as far as the law and medical details went. It's just too long to explain. He's of Kazakh origin, and he said he's never going back there again.

  3. #53
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Eh, that's a complex one. You'll be travelling through a lot of places where unfamiliar white face means Russian. In China, and if you're not too close to a border, white means "tried hard to be Chinese, could try harder." This really isn't a multi-cultural society. They do make allowances for foreigners being gormless or dull or barbarian, but not for foreigners having their own, differing value system. So if someone shows up eager to assert independent value, he's likely to not make friends too quick. But I'm guessing you're more interested in getting to know people and seeing what's around, you'll do fine.
    Oh, I don't think we will go there shouting "Stop child labor!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Corruption! That's the ticket. Masses of corruption. As if the structure of society were based around it. Which in China especially, it is. If you're not Chinese and poor it can be quite the benign game. In the -Stan countries and close to the borders where you'll find lots of Chinese military, it's likely to be more cut throat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Let's just say someone I knew got into big trouble in Kazakhstan when he went abroad from the U.S., and thinks were extremely tough for him there as far as the law and medical details went. It's just too long to explain. He's of Kazakh origin, and he said he's never going back there again.
    Well, I guess these situations aren't something we can prepare for. Maybe we could buy ourselves some local robes that hide our white faces but still, we are driving cars that are registered in Finland... There is no chance they won't see that we are foreigners.

  4. #54
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Well, I guess these situations aren't something we can prepare for. Maybe we could buy ourselves some local robes that hide our white faces but still, we are driving cars that are registered in Finland... There is no chance they won't see that we are foreigners.
    Haha it wasn't anything racist. The guy was white and he was from Kazakhstan (former Soviet Union). It had to do more with a government/law/medical thing. Don't worry about it, you're traveling with other people. It's better that way. Have a safe trip.

  5. #55
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    No, I was thinking that if the corrupt police officer sees foreigners he might try to take advantage of them because they are in an unfamiliar country. Same goes for pickpockets. It would be easier if we could "disguise" ourselves and blend in.

  6. #56
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I got this chance to go shoot a travel program for tv. Can't pass an opportunity like that. We'll go through Asia with couple of old cars. Russia, Kazakhstan, Kirghistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, China, Japan. This is a student project really, but I'm pretty sure it will be sold at least here in Finland. I'll be gone for six months, we will leave in April.

    If anyone knows anything about traveling in those countries, I'd be interested.
    Grr, I'm jealous now! I wanted to do exactly that several years ago (especially the central Asian countries), but couldn't find any fellow suicidal lunatics enthusiasts for the culture out there in the back of beyond to accompany me. I wasn't quite insane enough to try doing it on my own either, so here I am still... *gets out Cd of authentic traditional Khazakh music now I think of it, which leaves me in at least two minds *

    I hope the trip goes well anyway. I get the impression that lawlessness and corrupt local bureaucracies could be major concerns in the lesser known countries though. I hope you've planned well and know what you're doing with the visas *I suspect a few local contacts wouldn't do any harm either*. I would love to hear how you got on when you return! It might help to reignite my own enthusiasm for that part of the world!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  7. #57
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Grr, I'm jealous now! I wanted to do exactly that several years ago (especially the central Asian countries), but couldn't find any fellow suicidal lunatics enthusiasts for the culture out there in the back of beyond to accompany me.
    Heh, you should have called me... I usually say "yes" to adventures like this...

    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I would love to hear how you got on when you return! It might help to reignite my own enthusiasm for that part of the world!
    Well, you might want to check out if we are able to upload some stuff when we are on the way. ..:usk to Dawn: The Story of Nipu::.. (the site seems to be a mess at the moment, I hope they fix it before we go)

    It will probably be in Finnish most of the time, though, so I don't know how much you'll understand. If nothing comes up, then we are most likely having some trouble with the edit.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Bye bye. But it seems like you are still there.

  9. #59
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Anyways, it's been nice, I really like this forum. I hope I remember the url when I come back And I hope there are some familiar faces left.
    You mean you'll be coming back if we're still here in a year or however long you're going for?

    We'll still be here. Just try not to forget us, okay?

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    You mean you'll be coming back if we're still here in a year or however long you're going for?

    We'll still be here. Just try not to forget us, okay?

    Aw, I like this smilie.

Similar Threads

  1. Bill Gates leaves Microsoft!
    By comicsgurl in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
  2. Leave it to Beaver MB types
    By nightwatcher in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 07:13 PM
  3. To understand the object of study is to leave it
    By wildcat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO