User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Foot In Mouth Stories - Or "That's Not What I Meant!"

Story One
    I told my straight female friend last night that I think she would look really cute with short hair and get a lot of attention from the ladies.

She got mad.

"Thanks, CzeCze. You basically told me that I LOOK LIKE A MAN. I already knew that though, so THANKS"

Wha??? I meant what I said as a compliment! And I do not think 'she looks like a dude'!

Story Two
    I plugged my ipod into my friends' stereo system for a dinner party. This dance anthem came on and I commented, "You know, I heard this song at the club and it sounded so good but after I downloaded it, I didn't like it as much. I think you have to listen to it on a really massive sound system with lots of bass to appreciate it."

My friend and some guests said, 'Ooooooh, so you don't like her stereo huh?"

I tried to explain that I just meant you had to listen to the song in the club but they said I was digging myself in deeper. Eventually the host threatened to bring out her boombox, "then we'll see how much you like my speakers!"

Now your turn!
    Ever say something that was meant innocently or even as a compliment and had it totally interpreted differently?

Do share!

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Dude, have I ever got one for this thread!

Okay, a little intro - in the UK there was this TV show where these comedians dressed as old professors doing a serious academic debate show, but they were like really immature and spent the whole time insulting each other. In one episode, one said to the other "I saw your mom the other day, coming out of the VD clinic"... anyway, the show was cult classic stuff at the time my anecdote happened, all the hip kids at school watched it.

So...

Walking through the town centre with some friends, I came across some other friends. Picking one at random to greet first...

Me: Hey Darren, I saw your mom the other day, coming out of the VD clinic
    Darren: silence
    Everyone: silence
    Me: What? You don't watch it?
    Darren: It would be difficult to see my mom, since she died in a car crash yesterday
    Me:

NOBODY TOLD ME!!!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I was about to bemoan substitute for being a depressing thread-killer , when I remembered I've just about done the exact same thing.

I was watching a movie (John Q) that starts with a belabored car-accident scene (slow motion! classical music!). So of course I couldn't resist making snarky commentary on it, to be interjected by my saintly ENFP cousin, who, while on the cusp of sobbing, announced that her dear high-school friend had tragically died in an almost-identical accident on his way home from a soccer game.

I guess you got to have a sense of humor about these sorts of things or you wouldn't sleep at night.

MBTI
    INTP

Ooh, great thread idea! I'll have to think a second.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Story one:

Me singing an irish rebel song in class, the teacher being english and somewhat conservative We were supposed to make/recite/tell the class about something that meant much to you. I chose english oppression. Told the class about the 1913 (and onwards) strikes and the story up to the 1916 easter rising in Dublin, and what happened afterwards. All quite passionate.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

okay yeah it's embarrassing and i really didn't mean to be disrespectful but when i was younger i worked at this coffee house and had my back turned because i was talking to my coworkers and then i heard someone come up to the bar to order and see this guy with his face just barely above the counter and i was in an extra silly mood and i squated down and said why ello there can i take you order sir...in some goofy voice...i don't know wat the hell was wrong with me!! guy was in a wheelchair!! he laughed hysterically though but if he had been mad i would've felt so bad...but wtf was i thinking??

it probably doesn't translate very well but it was pretty embarrassing.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP

When I was in high school, my biology teacher had a meltdown one day, ranting to the class over something we hadn't done, and he was so mad he actually couldn't spit the words out. Like a cartoon character or something. So without thinking, I actually said, "Come on...you can do it!" Holy crap, I knew I shouldn't have said it the minute it flew out of my mouth. It was probably only because I wasn't generally a troublemaker that he didn't come over his desk and attack me. :-P
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

In college around some time in early February one year, I went over to hang out at a friend's dorm while very, very stoned and upon seeing that he and his girlfriend were eating steak, my Ne took over and connected that to recent facebook invites I had gotten about participating in "steak and a blowjob day", so without really considering the implications my silly Ne asked, "Oh, steak and a blowjob day coming up soon, huh?"
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Glycerine

In one of my high school classes, we were discussing the topic of stealing. I opened my mouth and said "someone jacked me off". (dang Ni...thinking of several different ways to say things). A combination of "ripped me off" and "jacked" What I meant was "someone stole from me".

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think I told one recently, but the cat has got my tongue!