12 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default A simpler way to look at the cognitive functions

So I was just thinking about that stuff and I think I've realized the purpose of the functions.

Ni and Si are the inward understanding functions. These allow you to gain inner realization and understanding about things in your life based on mental processes, whether it through intuition or things around you.

Ne and Se are the outward understanding functions. These allow you to gain understanding of things in your life through either the things you see around you or the things that could be around you. (over generalization)

Te and Fe are the outward application functions. You apply things to the real world from within with these functions, whether it be logic and order or another's needs.

Ti and Fi are the inward analyzation functions. You analyze things going on in your life through these, whether it be with logic and facts that you know, or whether it be with emotions and how you feel.

So as an INFP (FiNeSiTe) I analyze the experiences in my head, then apply what could be afterwards from that. Then from that I realize the details of things from my inner analyzation, then from all of those being used I can apply it to situations in my life.

This is just a simpler explanation as to what they are for (or what I think they are for). Thoughts?
    Last edited by BlackCat; 02-24-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Unclear title
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

good thread for those who still think that J and P matter
    I N V I C T U S

I'm no expert, but I don't think one's "four functions" are supposed to be framed within such a casual chain of events.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by theplacesyoullgo View Post
    I'm no expert, but I don't think one's "four functions" are supposed to be framed within such a casual chain of events.
    It was just an example, I was applying my new look on it to something I do.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

the *new* thing is flawed
    its just what has always been, but correct
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

To be honest, I don't see anything particularly new here. This isn't something against you, of course, but I just figured I should mention it because a lot of people probably aren't going to.
    Not really.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    To be honest, I don't see anything particularly new here. This isn't something against you, of course, but I just figured I should mention it because a lot of people probably aren't going to.
    Yeah I don't get what's different about it, myself.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's a simpler view of it, not really new. I should change the title somehow...

EDIT: Changed.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

hope you dont mind if i just add a few of my own thoughts

once you think about the spiritual process you will notice that there is a fundamental problem with distinguishing external and internal objects, because they are all the same, except that we may attach an subjective attribute to them, that defines them as external or internal, but this attribute is changing all the time. so Ni an Ne are concerned with the same topics, all of which are the sum of the collective and personal human condition. what differs is the way, subjective boundaries are implemented on a world that has no boundaries, really. your mind creates boundaries (and in a way IS "moving boundaries"), not only to objects, but also to movement. for example a process is supposed to be "linear" and it is supposed to have a beginning and an end.

i guess intuition has different ways of assigning such ends to movements, or separating or joining of threads, so it owns the metalevel, the action of implementing these boundaries. Ni does it in a creative way, using observation as mere inspiration for speculations, Ne is more flexible in the way it makes boundaries, as it takes them as they come. thus it is probably not that conscious about how it "does" it.

sensing obviously does the same for static images (items, objects, colors, a rainbow, probably items in memory, like numbers, mnemonic rhymes)

i may not understand the thinking and feeling functions verry well ... like at all .. uhm at the moment .... okay, i could say something about the feeling function. .... better not.

well, its odd because actual emotions in your stomach are not different from intuition (as i have described it) since they are movements ...

but the ethical attitudes of Fe and Fi .... i know them, as they manifest, can define them, but cant see them, as they work in the mind, "how" they are created, or why

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Yes. I thought that should be obvious given the function descriptions... I guess not.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca