123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default T VS F and movies

What do you get out of a movie? What sorts of movies do you like? Why do you like them?

I ask this because it seems like F types and T types would have some very different answers to those questions. I usually see movies with my INTP friend, and it's a pretty big difference on tastes. We can always agree on some movies, but I really dislike slasher/gore/terrifying movies and he prefers to not see the kiddy animated ones I like. We usually find common ground on adventure and action, along with some random ones with a very good story.

I remember he took me to go see SAW 3 to "just try it please!!" He pretty much begged me, since I normally don't watch those. So I reluctantly agreed to see it. Well, I withstood 20 minutes of that movie. I walked out when it got to a scene where a girl had to get a key out of some acid to unlock the machine that would rip her ribs open... Wow. I must say the things I saw in that movie pretty much scarred me, I had nightmares for about two weeks. Especially the emotions I got out of it, I know it's fake but it's just too brutal for me. When I heard the sizzling of the acid I was like NOOOOO and I left.

To answer my own question I really enjoy dark themed movies, adventure/fantasy movies, animated movies suited for kids (I really liked Bolt, I saw it in 3D it was awesome), and movies that have a good plot and story, regardless of genre. I usually go to a movie to escape life temporarily, to live in a fantasy world for 1.5-3 hours. These kinds of movies have always appealed to me, I've always in general liked dark themed things, adventure/fantasy movies always zone me out of this real world, and the animated movies I just really enjoy. I know what to expect out of one, always a good ending, always great animations, always some distinct characters.

What do you guys think? What experience do you get out of movies? Just speak your mind, I'm curious.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    What do you get out of a movie? What sorts of movies do you like? Why do you like them?
    Hmm...I guess I'm not a huge movie fanatic, as I don't really think I've seen that many (compared to most people!) and I'm not driven to see most movies. I suppose I've never viewed movies as an 'experience'.

The only genre I can say I don't care for is horror. And many of the dumb comedies are just kind of repulsive to me -- although several yrs ago I dated a guy who had a tendency to rent some of these cheesy, silly movies, and I have to say I learned to appreciate some of them.

I like dark comedy/dark drama quite a lot -it's probably my favorite genre - along the lines of Apocalypse Now, American Beauty, Snatch, Fight Club, Pan's Labyrinth, Ghost World, Usual Suspects, etc.

On almost an equal footing with dark drama would be action/fantasy/sci-fi - lotr, x-men, fifth element, Contact, 12 Monkeys, that sorta thing.

And some more artsie/creative films - Amelie, Finding Neverland, etc.

And then plain ole drama - English Patient, Shawshank, etc.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I love almost every genre of movie. I'm game for pretty much everything but your standard horror fare. Frankly the standard horror plot is just so retarded it's not worth watching. The last one I saw was the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I laughed through most of it.

Pretty much anything else though. Action, drama, comedy, science fiction, fantasy: doesn't really matter, I like 'em. That is to say, as genres. There are certainly many action movies I refuse to watch 'cause they're just too stupid to bear (anything with Steven Segal, anything with Jean-Claude Van Damme except TimeCop and potentially JCVD which I'd still very much like to see, etc.). There are many fantasy films that get so fantastical that I get bored and cynical at 'em (for example, Return of the King: you mean to tell me in the end he gets saved by a giant bird out of fucking NOWHERE?! If there were birds like this kicking around, why didn't he just fly to the damned mountain, pitch the ring in and be done with it?! DUMB. And don't tell me "You fool, it's about the journey not the ending!" The journey wasn't worth nine hours and $50 if the ending was dumb.).

Hell I'll even watch chick flicks if they've got a decent storyline. For instance When Harry Met Sally is brilliant. Meg Ryan plays Meg Ryan again, which is annoying, but I tolerate it in this case because of the faking orgasm scene and the witticisms between Harry and Sally.

There are only a handful of movies I've seen and refuse to ever see again. Punch Drunk Love was artsy-fartsy tripe, and I can't believe I wasted $10 on it.

Some I've only seen bits and pieces of because I don't have the patience or time to watch it all. I still haven't seen all of 2001: A Space Odyssey because I get bored and zone out after Dave deactivates HAL and goes on an acid trip. I can't stand Gone With The Wind, it's too damned long. Same with The Godfather (although I'll get around to seeing that one in its entirety, because I appreciate a film that has people behind it that will go out of their way to find a real horse's head and use it as a prop).

What do I get out of it? Tough question. Depends on the movie. Ferris Bueller's Day Off appeals to the wistful goofball in me. Back to the Future has a great story. Aliens has lots of mean... aliens... killing 'state-of-the-badass-art' space-marines, which is just awesome. Star Wars (the original three films, not the dumb prequels; you knew they were shite when the opening scroll in The Phantom Menace started talking about trade blockades and fucking senates and blah blah blah...) gives me the warm-and-fuzzies because of the nostalgia I have for it.

In the end I guess I appreciate it as an art form and use it as a short little escape from my own boring little existence, while also giving my brain stuff to think about ('cause I can never get enough). I'll watch even poorly-made stuff if I find the underlying reasons for this interesting enough.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

What ^ said.

Except this:

(for example, Return of the King: you mean to tell me in the end he gets saved by a giant bird out of fucking NOWHERE?! If there were birds like this kicking around, why didn't he just fly to the damned mountain, pitch the ring in and be done with it?! DUMB. And don't tell me "You fool, it's about the journey not the ending!" The journey wasn't worth nine hours and $50 if the ending was dumb.).
    Because its guarded? Nazgul? Also, they weren't out of nowhere, they were shown once (though very briefly, granted) in the first movie. But read the books, they're much better.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

The books are too long and boring. I can't even bring myself to finish "The Hobbit".

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    The books are too long and boring. I can't even bring myself to finish "The Hobbit".
    Yeah, a big problem is that they take forever to start up. Once it gets going though, its good.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    I

I'm a T. My favorite genre is Horror, I love to be frightened in movies and kept on the edge of my seat.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't like sensory shock or overload in movies. Trite emotional dialog is also painful as are exuberant bursts of emotion that simply invite you to feel, but don't convince you why you should care. I am intrigued by complex characters and layered drama. I will watch horror if it is psychological in nature, but gratuitous gore doesn't work for me. Shocking images stay in my mind and keep replaying, but I am also aware of how mindless they are and so I am disappointed they impact me so much. I wouldn't elect to watch any of the Saw movies, but the first Silence of the Lambs has an interesting psychological component. I'm a bit of a wimp overall with movies because I experience it as more real with physical reactions and seared into my memory and imagination even when it is really stupid at times.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is why I like you NTs in general, it seems like you can find something good to appreciate in everything, including movies. My INTP friend always comments about the most random things "I thought it was really well done, the special effects were phenomenal" while I'm saying "wow that was an emotional roller coaster!" It seems like you guys really appreciate things done well.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INxJ

I like films that entertain me. Horror, macabre, counter culture, abstract, surrealism, philosophy, and comedy.

Alfred Hitchcock
    Tim Burton
    Stanley Kubrick

Any film with Crispin Glover.