First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I do in fact think that there is a type correlation. Almost all F types hate horror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    At a certain point 'horror' becomes gratuitous violence, it seems. I mean there's a helluva gap between The Shining and Saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    That's what I meant, the gratuitous violence. I enjoy the horror that isn't like that, but no F had said they they like that, and most of them said they dislike it.
    Ok, good observation, BlackCat.

So far, it seems like Fs tend not to like horror with gratuitious violence.

But just for the record, are there any Fs here who do like it?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    I'm open to all kinds of movies, and I can appreciate certain aspects of just about any movie, even if , overall, its shitty.

My favorites, though, tend to be "arthouse", "cult" films and "midnight movies".

Examples would be The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Wall, Holy Mountain, 8-1/2, La Dolce Vita, Annie Hall, Henry and June, A Clockwork Orange, Willy Wonka, Naked Lunch, The Yellow Submarine, Fantastic Planet, Jacob's Ladder, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

I also love documentaries--especially about art and artists.

EDIT: So what do I get out of these movies?

Well, the documentaries are kind of obvious---I love to learn.

And as far as the "arthouse" flicks---particularly films like Annie Hall, 8-1/2, and Henry and June----it sort of feeds my need to understand people/explore human relationships.

And the "cult movies" are, to a large degree, fantasy/escapism for me, but clearly I enjoy escaping into weird worlds/movies that aren't formulaic or predictable.

That's mostly because I already have a very vivid imagination, and I need something really strange/challenging to help me "escape."

Actually, I think all this has to do with being NFP, not just F.
    +1 just about word for word.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I enjoy most of the movies I see, I adore beautiful visuals, artistic value, special atmosphere and deep emotions in movies. I also enjoy mindless action and anything entertaining really, but the movies that are special in some way just feel more complete and fulfilling to me, not gonna go deeper into it right now.

About horror. It's a genre that I don't dwell into too much. If it's a scary movie, it will most likely scare me, but in the end there's a big chance that I like the movie anyway, but that goes for all these supernatural or psychological horror movies.
    Never been a very big fan of the gore movies though. I did like Saw I, but as the series have progressed, it seems the torture has become more prominent, while the storytelling has lost it's importance.
    If it's a movie about some messed up people torturing simple unfortunate visitors, it is emotionally hard on me. However, I don't mind blood in my movies, even if it is excessive, like in Kill Bill or Sweeney Todd, where it is used stylishly. It also makes sense in war dramas.
    But if it is a horror movie solely about torturing and gore, I'll pass.

Some psychological horrors and thrillers can affect me deeply, but in the end I find the experience fulfilling. Slasher and gore movies don't really have any such positive effect though.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Socionics
    ISTj

I loathe horror. Why would anyone want to be freaked out or grossed out on purpose? It feels utterly gratuitous and vile to me.

But yeah, I'm ok with some gore if it's actually a good movie as above. I may cover up my eyes for those bits though. And I don't like being scared in psychological thrillers either. I don't enjoy that kind of disturbance. Move me, make me sad, but don't scare me, I don't like it.

I really like the (Kubrick) Shining, but that's not really a horror movie imo.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Ok, good observation, BlackCat.

So far, it seems like Fs tend not to like horror with gratuitious violence.

But just for the record, are there any Fs here who do like it?
    I have an INFP friend who loves horror movies, especially if they have dark motives (execpt if its about revenge, for some reason senseless killings are more enjoyable than vengeful/purposeful killings, don't ask, I don't know why) and sad endings.

I like a good story, with all types of movies, though I generally don't like love stories.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

I go for anything deliberate, with its own perspective. I tend toward the visionary auteurs: Charlie Kaufman, Kubrick, Murnau, Hitchcock, Lynch, Leone, Welles. The larger and more original the body of work, the better. The more elegantly a work uses the medium itself to communicate, the better. The more developed the observations being communicated, the better.

The more you've got to say, the more well you consider it, and the more eloquently you use the form at hand to do it, the more inclined I am to listen.

I keep returning to John Carpenter. His voice is so curious. He could have developed so many ways other than the way he did.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I love movies and most genre with the exception of horror. There is little creativity and imagination, the same things are recycled over and over and there is nothing entertaining about a bunch of screaming and blood with no real purpose. I do like psychological thrillers and suspense such as Silence of the Lambs or The Usual Suspects. Drama, foreign films (I know subtitles bother some but I like them), action, and comedy. I look for things like unique cinematography, subtle but effective editing and the little things in the background as well as mesmerizing acting. I watched Doubt recently and this was one of those mesmerizing acting movies.

I think movies are more than escape for me. I love to observe. Movies give me an ideal way to do so. When I come across something new or that I have never heard of, I really feel like I have found a little gem. I can go back to that later when I feel like escaping or just an urge to observe.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    I loathe horror. Why would anyone want to be freaked out or grossed out on purpose? It feels utterly gratuitous and vile to me.
    I dunno, I also don't go for horror movies, but not because it seems 'vile' - more just pointless. I can't get scared by them, cos you know, I just know it's all fake, for some reason I just can't suspend my disbelief for those types of movies, I just end up laughing at the bits I know are supposed to shock or frighten me, and that gets on the nerves of the other people I'm watching with!

I like adventures, comedies, sci-fi and good historical ones (not the historical ones that expect you to leave your disbelief AND your brains at the door). I guess cos I sorta missed out on my childhood, I do have a particular craving/weakness for the kids' epics and classics like Harry Potter, Neverending Story, The Goonies and stuff like that - I enjoy them because while I'm watching them I can be a little boy, which I never got to be in reality.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I dunno, I also don't go for horror movies, but not because it seems 'vile' - more just pointless. I can't get scared by them, cos you know, I just know it's all fake, for some reason I just can't suspend my disbelief for those types of movies, I just end up laughing at the bits I know are supposed to shock or frighten me, and that gets on the nerves of the other people I'm watching with!

+1! Never understood how horror movies could frighten people. I like to be shocked. Like people jumping out at me and stuff- but horror movies don't do the trick.

MBTI
    I

I'm a T, I'm a HUGE fan of Horror movies. Not the overly gory kind (those suck), but I'm talking about the ones that are actually somewhat scary and suspenseful... a perfect example - "The Shining". They don't have to have many elements of reality, but they should be suspenseful and thrilling. Those are my absolute favorite kind of movie, no question.

Comedy's my 2nd favorite genre. I'm not too much of an Drama movie guy, nor do I particularly care for Action movies or Romance movies.