User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default Does underrepresentation of some types here lead to a more negative perception?

I think we can all agree that this board is quite populated with N's, especially compared to the general population. SP's and especially SJ's seem to get a bad rap around here pretty often. I often hear comments to the affect of "All types have some good and some bad people in them, judge by the individual". I agree with this, but I don't think this board exactly adheres to that standard rigidly.
    I want to make clear that I'm not taking a side on whether this implicit bias/disdain is warranted or not. I'm not debating the pros and cons of any type. I'm simply looking for people's thoughts/comments/anecdotes on the creeping type bias around here.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

No. The members of types that are a minority here do a very good job of positively representing their type.

imo
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    GONE

Well, I think in terms of INTPs, over repesentation really does them in.

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Well, I think in terms of INTPs, over repesentation really does them in.

Indeed.
    - Costrin

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The atmosphere has vastly improved since the earlier life of the forum, and I suspect that's in large part due to the increase of S-types we've seen in the last several months (relative to in the past). Hopefully that trend will continue with more SJs arriving, since there are still fairly few of them here. I think it's harder to stereotype once you get to know real people of a particular type instead of over overgeneralizing from one or two people you know IRL (or here for that matter).
    -end of thread-

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

There are very few, if any, ESTJs, ESTPs, and ESFJs on this forum. Those types are probably talked about the least, even though they are some of the more common types, and when they are talked about, it's often negative.

But since the forum is dominated by INFJs, INTPs, INTJ, ENTPs, and ENFPs, the amount of negativity towards the ESTJ/ESTP/and ESFJ can be explained by the natural clash between these two groups of types.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Food for thought. With a quick member search, you get these numbers:

INTP - 585
    INTJ - 383
    ENTP - 166
    ENTJ - 65

INFP - 416
    INFJ - 378
    ENFP - 247
    ENFJ - 61

ISFJ - 53
    ISTJ - 61
    ESFJ - 10
    ESTJ - 16

ISFP - 47
    ISTP - 66
    ESFP - 15
    ESTP - 18

This doesn't count those with some other weird combination, or who didn't fill in their type, and it doesn't say anything about how active they are.

Number Magic:
    1199 NTs.
    1102 NFs.
    140 SJs.
    146 SPs.
    2587 total.

11% S.
    23% INTP.

Also, adding up all the number of posts, you get:

ISFJ - 4004
    ISTJ - 11186
    ESFJ - 4614
    ESTJ - 1194

ISFP - 7559
    ISTP - 12262
    ESFP - 1354
    ESTP - 1071

ENFJ - 10120
    ENTJ - 12947
    Jennifer - 13096

Screw the other types.

I wish I had all the site's stats available through more than searching and adding...
    Last edited by Costrin; 02-21-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: organized, number magic, post numbers
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Food for thought. With a quick member search, you get these numbers:

INTP - 585
    INTJ - 383
    ENTP - 166
    ENTJ - 65

INFP - 416
    INFJ - 378
    ENFP - 247
    ENFJ - 61

ISFJ - 53
    ISTJ - 61
    ESFJ - 10
    ESTJ - 16

ISFP - 47
    ISTP - 66
    ESFP - 15
    ESTP - 18

This doesn't count those with some other weird combination, or who didn't fill in their type, and it doesn't say anything about how active they are.

Cool. And looks about right.

Seems some people* have better things to do than hang out on the Internet on Saturday afternoon.

*Some people who are apparently not me.

The INs part is pretty obvious, but it is funny that ENPs get so well represented. Are we just nerds, it is an interest in foruming, or is it the strong natural drive toward psychology and analysis, or do we just randomly turn up everywhere?

I think it is good having more SJs recently too. They are a type I understood less. Haven't always conflicted with though. STPs presence is also good, because they are a type I really like, but have had occasional hang ups with and couldn't always pinpoint where the misunderstanding or conflict was.

And I always loved ISFPs, but now I get them a little more.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mtaclof View Post
    Does underrepresentation of some types here lead to a more negative perception?
    I would say yes it does.

Myself, I have a lot of SJ / SP types in my life, so I feel a need to frequently stick up for them here on the boards. When people post stuff like "I could never date an SJ" or "they're not N so they're not deep enough for me" it drives me crazy! Or that F's don't think, and T's don't feel - what nonsense!

When posts and comments fall into cookie-cutter stereotypes, it benefits no one. People are so much more than a composite of 16 "types". MBTI has uses, and I find it very clarifying and validating even, but making judgements about others based solely on it is very dangerous.

That being said, I do attribute some of what I see here from time to time on life stages.