User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's true -- it's possible introverts say they are this way or that way and they really don't know -- they think it's true -- but until you get out there and have other people to bounce things off of, sometimes you find out you're not what you think you are in your head.

MBTI
    ISFJ

In order to give a satisfactory answer I'd have to know "what do introverts think about when they're alone?" first.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    (i use intps as an example because as an entp I get them)

And what most intps forget is that einstein, after his works on the wave\particle 'duality' of photons to explain the black body radiations and relativity refused to hear the growing evidence supporting quantum theories and spent the rest of his life pursuing ghosts because, and i'm almost quoting here, he thought that a theory about the inner workings of a huge, inhuman universe should fit his earth ground, evolutionary selected vision of beauty.
    Knowing that our vision of beauty probably finds its origin in the selection of the healthier potential mates. (yes I'm talking algorithms, size\shape ratio and so on)
    My point is that, while intps are predominent in the scientific community it doesn't make them smarter. Actually I think there should be an entp for every intp researcher. ENTPS to keep the INTP open minded, help her or him to realise that they're often missing the big pictures while gently caressing some theories calling them beautiful.

and INTP to force the ENTPS not to abandon an idea whenever he gets bored of it and skip all those 'unimportant details'.
    I'm sure an intp would be more fitted to add some stuff to that former list.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Hmm. Right, but being an introvert is not going to give you a deep understanding of people through observation. Being people oriented might give you a deep perspective of people. Asking questions and listening is going to help you get a good insight on people. (Something an extrovert is likely to do.) A lot of introverts could care less, as do extroverts. But if you are focused on people and want to understand, then the depth of your understanding is not going to be dependant on whether you are an introvert or an extrovert. The two are simply going to be collecting information in a different way.
    Yeah, I think an introverts tendency to observe would be outweighed by an extroverts direct interest/involvement with other people as it relates to an understanding of people.

But I'd say extroverts aren't all about interacting with other people. A good example of an extrovert who had little connection with other people is "Grizzly Man", a guy who spent all his time hanging out and interacting with bears. But he was eventually eaten. People just tend to be the object extroverts most likely will focus on.

MBTI
    INTP

It's kind of hilarious that every single thread about one type vs another devolves so quickly into "which is superior?" The OP was actually a good question--what do extroverts think about when there aren't any people around? Do you need people to help you process your thoughts?

When I'm by myself, I hardly ever think about what other people might be doing, or feel myself getting bored without company or outside stimulation. In fact, I'm likely to withdraw into my own thoughts even when surrounded by a lot of stimulation--maybe especially then. It's not being socially retarded--people who don't know me would probably perceive me as an E if I'm "on." (I just can't sustain it.)It's just preferring my inner world (usually thinking random things and trying to connect one thing to another or to figure out how things work) to what's going on around me. People just don't seem to hold my attention very often or for very long unless they have some insight about something I'm very interested in, or if I'm trying to figure out what makes them tick.

My very E ENFJ friend seems to need a sounding board to organize her thoughts--it's kind of like every thought in her head needs to come out, and I ask her questions and she figures out as she talks how she feels about things.

Just some random thoughts.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    In order to give a satisfactory answer I'd have to know "what do introverts think about when they're alone?" first.
    this sort of thing:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-thinking.html

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    That was fun. I totally agree with syn, some Introvert seems to believe-yet-not-clearly-say that Introvertion is what people that can think do.
    Difference between introspection and introversion.

Actually you can turn the argument around. How can you have a rich inner world if most of what you're doing is process the same data over and over again, building internal systems and not always bothering to check if it has anything to do with the real world.
    The introvert has a completely different point of view... Actually, it's not really about how much info you gather externally... but what you do with the info you gathered.

Both Is and Es can gather the same amount of external input... for example I'd argue that an ISTP is likely a great deal more aware of their surroundings as compared to an ENTP. Yet The ISTP is introverted? So the important distinction here isn't what or how much is gathered, but what the info is used for. A difference in focus. Extraverts prefers to relate to other people, other things... Introverts prefers to relate things to themselves...

Just look at most philosophers, i can easily argue against most arguments they throw at me because they just don't ever focus on large enough pictures and trust A+B=X without bothering to look at the rest of the alphabet.
    I hope you realize your sentence is an amusing oxymoron... Big picture and trust in details

Edit:
    Grayscale - Link <- Page not found
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i wasnt comparing extroverts to introverts as car salesman to mechanics in the sense of what they literally do, but the relative understanding of what they have in common (cars)

maybe not, but it probably is. i see a lot of extroverted people excel in those social settings, that is not to say they are incapable of more intimate socializing, but it's irrelevant because it still stands that they find the depth of socializing in large groups adequately satisfying

actually, im not really sure why anyone is taking this personally, it is a difference of desires, for one to be better than the other we would first have to agree on to what ends we are comparing the two, wouldnt we?
    yeah...it is offensive and quite a shallow view on YOUR part. i can only speak for myself and what i know of other enfp's but we love nothing more than a "real" conversation...deep talks and intimate moments with people.

our extraversion...just puts those thoughts out there more and gives us the ability to draw it out of other people more.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I hope you realize your sentence is an amusing oxymoron... Big picture and trust in details
    ?
    Actually you're the one who got it wrong. Saying that the universe is not continuous but made of discrete elements has nothing to do with some human attention to details.
    Np
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Subject matter isn't really explicit. That's more about how you think.

This is too subjective for me to give an answer I think. I'm guessing I think about the exact same things you do. I'm not self-conscious enough to be able to explain how I go about it, though.

EDIT:Btw, what is there to say about this difference as far as function theory is concerned?An extrovert and an introvert who use the same function to think (say an ENTP and an INTP who both use Ti) should still be pretty similar, no?