User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post

For example, today, I have primarily been thinking a lot about music and musical theory.
    Well, now I am curious. Do tell!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Well, now I am curious. Do tell!
    Wikipedia can tell it better than I can.

Phonaesthetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Counterpoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is hard to write a beautiful song. It is harder to write several individually beautiful songs that, when sung simultaneously, sound as a more beautiful polyphonic whole. The internal structures that create each of the voices separately must contribute to the emergent structure of the polyphony, which in turn must reinforce and comment on the structures of the individual voices. The way that is accomplished in detail is...'counterpoint'.[1]
    Consonance and dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have been listening to musical scores lately, and have been fascinated by the mental/emotional/visual scapes they provide, or instigate.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ

When I'm alone I usually make plans in my head. It's relaxing and enjoyable to me.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What do you find so attractive in other people (in general) ?
    You are only human in relation to other humans. I.E. You are only 'you' in relation to other people.

Beyond that, everyone has little seas and universes inside of them. Each person is a microcosm of stuff. We've all been touched and formed by our unique circumstances: time, place, religion, upbringing, etc. and we carry that with us. So every time you interact with someone, you're touching off all this stuff. It's like metaphysical sparx!

I am interested in people in the singular. When I was younger, like say starting in the tweens, I was *fascinated* with people. Truly fascinated. Couldn't get enough. Maybe as I've gotten older and more experienced and had more experiences with people and also more disappointments I'm not so puppy dog frisky but I am still very whole body engaged with people in the general and specific.

I am also interested in people in the plural - groups, society, the idea of humanity.

Ideas, systems, plans - wouldn't exist without people to create them.

Now, nature would exist without people. Which is probably why people who reallydo not like other people or civilization or society often escape to nature.

(LOL - Synarch, you can say this was spoken like a true ENFP - unintelligbly)

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I see that no one managed to get see my point. Which is that everybody needs people but why would someone want to be energized by them?
    It's not that I want to be energized by people, I just am. Wiring.

It's actually a plus and self-renewing system.

I both like and am activated by being with people (generally speaking). Think how much it would suck if I really wanted to be around people but couldn't stand being around company for more than a minute. Or if I really hated being around people but always had to seek people out for whatever reason.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^What she said!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?" could also be asked...

subtle digs aside, i am curious especially if you are especially extroverted
    Lol, very funny question.
    ...and a very stupid answer to it:
    They think things that are currently on their mind.

It's actually impossible to describe my thougts here each time because there wouldn't be enough space....

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Wikipedia can tell it better than I can.
    The things it says are true insofar as writing more than one part is harder than writing one part simply because it's more writing, but once you have the first down, it becomes much easier to write the others, because there are now fewer possibilities to choose from that will still sound good. And then once you've written the second part, there are even fewer viable choices for the third, so that one comes even more quickly in most cases, and so on. (This stops at a point when the arrangement for that particular song seems to be "full" and can no longer be improved by adding more parts.)

The real skill is in going back to the first one and modifying it to fit better with the second one, ad infinitum...you'd be surprised how much time is spent on even simple pop songs in the studio.

It's definitely true that it's rare to see a musical act that combines all the parts that well to create something more than the sum of its parts, though--that's pretty hard!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    yeah...introverts don't just sit in a quiet room and think do they? i mean...don't they do the same thing...just maybe not feel that need to share their thoughts as often as we do...or want to brainstorm them like we do...but they're still doing it while doing something else...right?
    I often do stuff while I think, like play mindless arcade games. Mindless activities quiet down enough of my brain so I can think more clearly. I rarely feel the need to share my thoughts. Occasionally I'll talk about what I'm thinking about but words tend to be inadequate to describe the inner world. The only time I really need to talk through things is for processing emotional stuff, either with someone IRL or writing stuff down. For some reason, I seem to be unable to do that internally.

Everything else though is always processed internally before I speak about it. I *loathe* brainstorming and talking through ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Actually you can turn the argument around. How can you have a rich inner world if most of what you're doing is process the same data over and over again, building internal systems and not always bothering to check if it has anything to do with the real world.
    There's a huge amount of data in my inner world. Data = facts, connections, theories etc. I'm always checking mine against the RL world and revising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    In order to give a satisfactory answer I'd have to know "what do introverts think about when they're alone?" first.
    I can only speak for myself but my answer is life, the universe and everything. Literally. Macro and micro scale.

I think about the interactions from the day, new insights about myself and others, new information to slot in to my mental model of the world etc. Every new bit of data from the day is mulled over and slotted into my model of the world and the universe. If I didn't have time to do it during the day, then I'll think over later in the evening. Sometimes the new information requires a major rebuild, where huge chunks get pulled down and rebuilt.

If I have a new obsession (my current one is building an internal 'computer model' of the economy and financial system so I can run data through it as well as connect it to everything else in my mind), then perhaps I'll look up more information on the internet. For example, one weekend I consumed a bunch of long essays on the Great Depression and the various major recessions, read up on subprime mortgages, how Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were set up, the US financial regulation system etc. Then I spent quite a while digesting the information and working out how it all works underneath, ie a behind the scenes POV, and connecting it to what I already about the global interconnections between countries and governments, as well as trying to synch it up with my mental model of psychology and human behaviour and evolution to see how it all fitted together and generate new connections.

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    When I'm alone, with only my mind to entertain me, I think about:

ways to solve problems, both personal and impersonal ones.
    life in general, including ways to make life better and more meaningful.
    death.
    things I want to do, build, write, experience, etc.
    things that interest my intellectual and playful curiosities.
    the past and the future.
    fantasies that could lead to some sort of good idea, understanding, inspiration, or motivation

I do not often think about:

specific people.
    what other people are presently doing.
    what is going on outside.
    the fact that I'm alone.

When I'm alone, with full access to everything except for other people, I think about most of the same stuff, but I'm a lot more active, so I also think about the things I'm currently doing.

I:

read.
    write.
    surf, research, read, interact, etc... on the web.
    play, record, and listen to music.
    watch movies, and, occasionally, television.
    physically act out the ideas that my imagination supplies.
    build, invent, draw, walk, dance, do boring work, and work on my web site.

I do not often:

call people on the phone just to talk.
    bang my head into the wall and write blog posts about how lonely I am. (Because I'm not.)
    ^^^ I'd love to see more posts like that in this thread from the extraverts. Like grayscale, I'm curious about this. (Edit: I have to confess I want it for data for my inner world, as I'm aware I have a bunch of assumptions about extraverts which may or may not be true, and there are gaps in my mental model of human behaviour)
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Senior Member ENTJ Extraordinaire's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

i completely agree with that post. Which is interesting for an Extrovert

when i am thinking i am doing something, in fact i never just sit and think, unless its something emotional that i am dealing with, that is the only time you will see me sitting there staring into space in thought.

generally i find the best time to think to myself is when i am walking. i walk large distances regularly, and i find my mind wandering the whole time.

i also agree with playing Mindless computer games. for me, its easy conquest/battle (cliche ENTJ much) games that require little concentration, just a lot of strategy of clarity of thought.

those are the times when i find myself rationalizing the BIG problems. things that are puzzling me that i can't often work out without playing a game. the strategic, logical structure helps to think in a similar way. i also see in my mind, on occasion the world of what i am trying to sort out, superimposed on the the game that i am playing. that is i relate the strategies that im employiing to win the game in order to be able to work out what to do in the real life problems.

and when i am just in the need for some alone time and thought. that is i don't necessarily have a problem or challenge to over come, then i find myself tryin to work out particular parts of the real world that i can't quite explain. usually it happens after i have read a particularly interesting scientific journal, and i understand the concept, i just don't quite know how it fits into my understanding of the rest of the world. so i start to think through the information logically, and finally once i have sorted it all out, broken it down, and analyzed it, i apply it to the knowledge that i already have stored, and i add the newly organised information.

the point is, the way i think really depends on the actions that i tie to it.

when i am walking, i am usually thinking about social situations. i am not to sure why, but i usually think about society, and friends and enemies. and in that situation, i find myself thinking about things via an internal dialogue, in that i hear entire conversations in my mind of what to do and say in the situation.

when i am playing a game i think logically and rationally, and i deconstruct information sequentially and then decide on what i think/feel/believe on each and then apply them to current knowledge.
    Actualized type: ENTJ
    Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 56.1% Sensing (S) 43.9%
    Thinking (T) 68.42% Feeling (F) 31.58%
    Judging (J) 65% Perceiving (P) 35%

ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Joshywa1

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ENTJ Extraordinaire View Post
    i completely agree with that post. Which is interesting for an Extrovert
    lol, I wasn't expecting a me-too post from an extravert. I assume you're not an extreme E? I related to a lot of your post as well, except the comment about enemies. I don't kinda think about people in terms of friends and enemies. 'People who are annoying or stupid' are about as negative as my internal labels go. Edit: My thinking doesn't get superimposed on the mindless games I play. I play Bubbleshooter on here, which is genuinely mindless and hard to project anything on to it.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.