User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    istj
    Enneagram

Default Does your MBTI type determine what you think is funny?

It's obvious that everyone thinks differently about what's funny and what's not funny. But do you know what type of humor you associate as funny? Are there some comedians you think are way more funny than others? Does one type of humor get you cracking up more than others?

FYI: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (the movie) always gets me cracking up!

Here are some types of humor:

Adviser: the comic adviser gives uncalled for advice in a Punch prototype. Ex: Advice to people who want to buy a puppy: Don't.

Anecdotes: any interesting event, either having to do with a celebrity or something smaller, that helps the humorist make a point. Anecdotes are great for the speaker and writer.

Aside: a thought added as if something the speaker was saying reminded him of it.

Banter: good-natured teasing back and forth; exchange of witty remarks.

Blendword: blending two or three words to make a new word. Ex: smog for smoke and fog.

Blue Humor: not appropriate for the public speaker. Humor based on easily offensive subjects like making love, body parts, and bodily functions.

Blunder: wit based on a person who makes a mistake, which makes them appear foolish.

Bull: a humorous statement that is based on an outrageous contradiction. Ex: "The best people have never had kids."

Burlesque: a form of satire. Burlesque ridicules any basic style of speech or writing. (Parody makes fun of specific writings.)

Caricature: exaggeration of a person’s mental, physical, or personality traits, in wisecrack form.

The Catch Tale: a funny story that messes up the reader or listener by implying an awful ending but then stopping with a small declaration.

Conundrum: a word puzzle that can’t be solved because the answer is a pun. Ex: why do cows wear bells? Their horns don’t work.

Epigram: clever, short saying about a general group. Mostly satire about mankind. Two types, wordplay and thought play.

Exaggerism: an exaggerated witticism that overstates the features, defects, or the strangeness of someone or something.

Freudian Slip: a funny statement which seems to just pop out, but which actually comes from the person’s subconscious thoughts.

Hyperbole: extreme exaggeration.

Irony: a leading part of humor. Irony is using words to express something completely different from the literal meaning. Usually, someone says the opposite of what they mean and the listener believes the opposite of what they said.

Joke: short story ending with a funny climactic twist.

Nonsensism: inclusive of the epigram and the wisecrack, it is any kind of funny nonsense in speaking form. Nonsensism includes all kinds of absurdity without realistic logic and makes a general observation of absurd reference.

Parody: humorous version of any well-known writing. Ex: Weird Al Yankovic’s "Pretty Fly for a Rabbi".

Practical Joke: a joke put into action. You hear an oral joke, sees a printed joke, and feel the practical joke. The trick is played on another person and the humor comes from what happens.

Recovery: a combination of blunder and wit, where a person makes an error, and then saves himself with a fast correction.

Repartee: includes clever replies and retorts. The most common form is the insult.

Satire: wit that is critical humor. Satire is sarcasm that makes fun of something.

Situational Humor: this is comedy that comes from your own life. No one in your audience will have heard it and it can get a group used to you. This type of humor is based on a humorous situation that you have experienced.

Switching: a common form of switching is changing the main parts of the story, such as the setup or the punch line, and creating a new joke.

Understatement: making something that is regular or large seem extremely smaller or less. Intentionally down- sizing a large object.

Wisecrack: any clever remark about a particular person or thing. Wisecracks are quick wordplays about a person.

Wit: humor, irony, sarcasm, satire, repartee. Wit is funny because of the sudden sharpness and quick perception. Wit can bite. Verbal wit is a type of humor known as Wordplay.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

whoa! too long!
    can i get a short version?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Dude,
    If you have to analyse it, it ain't funny.
    I do love a well done parody though.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

I have noticed that ENFJs have the exact same sense of humour. My friend Tim cracks the same kind of weird jokes that my mom does, that I have seen PinkPiranha do on these very forums!

My favourite movie is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I don't know if that is because I'm an ENFP or because I'm a complete stoner.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I love satire (the Onion) and just plain stupid stuff like Will Farrell movies and monty python.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

burlesque-banter-satire
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think the unexpected is funny...i prefer witty and don't really appreciate slapstick.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I do love nonsensism, burlesque, and parody.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

deleted

I can minimally relate to all of these.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Stop being so friggin serious lemon (why so serious?).

Adviser, Aside, Blunder, Conundrum, Epigram, Exaggerism, Freudian Slip, Hyperbole, Irony, Nonsensism, Recovery, Repartee, Satire, Situational Humor, Understatement, Wisecrack, Wit. Those are the ones I can relate to.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)