User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Default Christopher Hitchens: Why women are still not funny

[youtube="I7izJggqCoA"]Christopher Hitchens: Why women are still not funny[/youtube]

Thoughts? I have to agree that female comedians usually are not as funny as the men.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Ye gods, what a jerk.

Women are as funny as men, but maybe not to men. When it's just us, we crack each other up. Any woman friend I've ever had could make me laugh harder and longer than any man I've ever been close to, and I've known some funny men.

But since men think it's their job to make us laugh, it's easier around men to be their audience. I find some men are threatened by funny women. I know if a man is trying to be funny around me and I get a good line in, he will immediately redouble his efforts and turn it into a competition. That, to me, is a turn-off. Alternatively, he feels one-upped and falls into the role of being my audience, which sometimes means he feels threatened (as in, perhaps, feels emasculated and therefore maybe perceives me as a dyke). Threatened feeling men don't make good lovers.

So it's safer in the dating game to be a good audience.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Women are as funny as men, but maybe not to men. When it's just us, we crack each other up. Any woman friend I've ever had could make me laugh harder and longer than any man I've ever been close to, and I've known some funny men.
    Honest question here: Does this humor often involve empowering women or emasculating men? (I'm asking based on a couple of specific observations that may or may not prove anything.)

Do you have any idea what it is about your humor that strikes a funny bone that men miss?

But since men think it's their job to make us laugh, it's easier around men to be their audience. I find some men are threatened by funny women.
    Sadly true. Humor is linked to intelligence, which in turn is linked to power. If you're funnier, you have an element of power in the relationship the guy may not want to give up.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I didn't listen to the clip (probably don't need to listen to Hitchens anyway ), but I think something needs to be distinguished.

Let's not mix-up talking about female comedians and females in general. I admit that for some sad reason, funny female comedians seem to be rare. That being said, I know females that can make me laugh, so it's not a problem that reflects on women in general. That makes it all the more confusing that funny female comedians are hard to come by. Must be something about the biz.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't think women are inherently less funny. But it's true I don't know anywhere near as many funny women as I do funny men. I think women have more of a problem with self-deprecation. Self-deprecation is very important in humor, imo.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Honest question here: Does this humor often involve empowering women or emasculating men? (I'm asking based on a couple of specific observations that may or may not prove anything.)

Do you have any idea what it is about your humor that strikes a funny bone that men miss?
    I think we're just more relaxed with each other, and we can be spontaneously silly girls in a way that men might not think is so funny but that cracks us up exceedingly.

My women friends and I don't want men emasculated in any way, so that would not be a laughing matter, honestly. We talk about men if we've got any to talk about, but mostly giving each other advice or support.

Magic Poriferan, I think he did mean to say that women are not as funny as men, and for that reason, fewer female comedians are funny. It's possible I misunderstood.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I find Lisa Lampanelli very funny. Funnier than most male comics. Although the other comic I only really like is Lewis Black. And RIP Mitch Hedburg. Always enjoyed Seinfeld's brand of humor as well.

I want to hunt down that ventriloquist guy. He's terrible. I find his comments insightful though and largely correct. Women don't have to be funny. I do, or else "I'm out of the evolutionary contest" haha.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

From the men and women I know, I have noticed that women tend to rely more on inside jokes between them and their friends and men rely on more general humor..thus they appeal to more people. A lot of women I know make jokes that I sometimes don't get because I didn't experience what they and their friends experience.. it's that simple.

Also remember, this doesn't mean that the least funny man is funnier than the funniest women..

Making women laugh is important for the whole getting laid thing but I have made countless numbers of women laugh and I still am a virgin.. .
    I could go to the gym more often but that takes work..
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    ...Making women laugh is important for the whole getting laid thing but I have made countless numbers of women laugh and I still am a virgin..
    Now that's funny!

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    NICE

It's the first time I've heard a woman's laugh described as, "a simulacrum of something more worth it".

In Mondo's case it is a simulacrum of not getting a leg-over. I feel for you - I say this very rarely.