User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

if any of you have seen episode of whos line is it anyway, youll notice in the episodes that include a woman comedian - shell keep herself inside the lines. why? im sure she can come up with the same things as the men. it may be upbringing or the average higher level of agressiveness in men.
    i usually realy enjoy female comedians. perhaps it is harder for them to rise in the business because i find that the females ones (except for the trashy ones) are really very talented while a larger percentage of the males are of lesser talent.
    i think society says its more acceptable for men to make dirty jokes but not for a woman, so a woman making a dirty joke may have a negative impact.
    i didnt watch the vid either but was it by a male comedian? he must be insecure - its also not a smart move as its going to piss off 50% of the audeince, who was it that was funnier again?
    the F/T gender bias may play a part though, feelers probably making more subjective jokes. the gender bias in levels of agression aswell, women who have lower levels of agro are more group orientaited - hence the inside jokes.

I believe women comics aren't as funny as men mostly because of female socialization. Ask any woman what she wants in a man, and one of the qualities she mentions will likely be "funny." This is rarely true when you ask a man the opposite.

Growing up, girls are not usually praised as highly for their charm and wit as men are.

(I'm only talking about Western culture, of course; I don't know about the rest. :>)

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

in most other cultures
    Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Growing up, girls are not usually praised

heart on fire

Hitchen's view here is so homo-social. I don't find things like the "Three Stooges" very funny myself but I don't make the assumption that men in general don't have a sense of humor, I just assume that I don't understand aspects of the male perspective enough to appreciate this kind of humor.

Maybe many men don't understand a woman's pov enough to find her type of humor funny. To extrapolate that out to "men are funnier/wittier than women" is homosocial behavior at it's worst.

I laugh more with women than with men. And I've never laughed with Hitchens when I've listened to his polemical rants.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This just sounds like differences in humor styles, rather than "Is this person funny or not?"
    I don't think so. Anything CAN be funny, given the context, timing, wit, etc. If you have a truly good sense of humor, then you can appreciate different things.

My roommate and I find the same things funny IRL, but we almost never find the same movies funny. I like silly stuff and I like witty stuff, and I especially like things that combine the two, like Airplane! or Monty Python or Blackadder. She prefers romantic comedy, which I'll usually find unfunny by comparison--I'll always wish the jokes were more inventive. But it doesn't prove that she isn't a funny person--she's one of the few people that consistently makes me laugh out loud.
    Depends on the romantic comedy. Most of them are terrible, but there are good ones. Usually, they are more heartwarming than hilarious, anyway (Love, Actually, anyone? Your examples are all funny.

I don't think not finding farts in church funny proves anything--it's low humor. The inappropriateness can be funny, but a lot of people would rather laugh at something that it took some brains to come up with.
    It may be low humor, but it's still very funny. The lack of brainpower is neither a positive or a negative in the context. It's the transgression. Transgression is very funny.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Hitchens has a pretty decent (though not perfect) point, here.

It correlates heavily with my earlier point about people utterly failing to grasp the point of, and limitations inherent in, the concept of a generalization.

As he said in the video, he's not saying that there are no funny women. Obviously there are, but there's a reason women aren't generally as funny as men and I think his biological explanation is at least on the right track, if perhaps not fully worked out yet.

To say, "Men are funnier than women" is no more inaccurate than to say, "ISTJs are more dependable than ENFPs." It's a GENERALIZATION; pointing out one or two counterexamples doesn't do shit to disprove it! The woman who wrote the initial response to Hitchens's accusation in Vanity Fair is a moron, if for no other reason than she assumes that Hitchens's generalization is a blanket assumption that ALL women are less funny than ALL men; that the least funny man in the world is still funnier than the funniest woman in the world.

Obviously this is completely wrong, but the V.F. author is sorely mistaken if she thinks that her straw man response somehow disproves anything Hitchens actually said!

I'm sure that the most reliable ENFP in the world is far more reliable than the least reliable ISTJ in the world--that's not the fucking point and nobody said it was. It's still a reasonable assertion that the average ENFP is less reliable than the average ISTJ, just as the average woman is less funny than the average man, and that's all he was saying in the first place. If you want to show that women are as funny as men, you need a very large sample size and a lot more data than, "WELL I KNOW A WOMAN DOWN THE STREET WHO'S FUNNIER THAN U SO UR OBVIOUSLY WRONG LOL"

Leave it to the super-PC far left to cry foul, invent a nonsensical attack against themselves and then "courageously" fight to the death to disprove something that was never even said or implied.

Idiots.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

heart on fire

^ Oh come on, it isn't as if it were some well reasoned essay or anything. It's just polemic designed to get a strong emotional reaction. So for you to act like the reaction to Hitchens wasn't invited is funny in and of itself. That's all Hitchens seems to do is pump out formula polemic. Men and women can have very different pov for biological reasons too so if his theories don't take that into account, of what account are his theories? Is only what men find funny valid in this world? (yeah, that's polemic)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    ^ Oh come on, it isn't as if it were some well reasoned essay or anything. It's just polemic designed to get a strong emotional reaction. So for you to act like the reaction to Hitchens wasn't invited is funny in and of itself. That's all Hitchens seems to do is pump out formula polemic. Men and women can have very different pov for biological reasons too so if his theories don't take that into account, of what account are his theories? Is only what men find funny valid in this world? (yeah, that's polemic)
    No, I've actually read a good bit of his writing and he has a lot of legitimate points. I'll certainly agree that he takes delight in pissing people off, but he's far from a simple polemicist, and your reaction to his writing is typical of a person who doesn't understand writing that mixes polemics with legitimate points.

Such an ambiguous style is very characteristic of ENTP, which I believe Hitchens to be. He delights in the contradiction, but the fact that he's trying to stir up trouble doesn't invalidate the honest assertions he's making simultaneously.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    ^ Oh come on, it isn't as if it were some well reasoned essay or anything. It's just polemic designed to get a strong emotional reaction. So for you to act like the reaction to Hitchens wasn't invited is funny in and of itself. That's all Hitchens seems to do is pump out formula polemic.
    His point is right but he says it in that way to get reactions, such as yours. If he just said that the male population is slightly funnier overall than the female population he wouldn't sell as many newspapers or books because most would skim past it as a boring science article. Reactions such as yours only help these sort of publicity tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Such an ambiguous style is very characteristic of ENTP, which I believe Hitchens to be...
    Well, lord above, forget everything I just said. The man must be genius.