User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

It would be so much more beleivable if someone who IS funny had made that point Talk about a case of the pot calling the kettle black!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is one reason why you will find more funny men than funny women. Being politically correct or very tactful is death for good comedy.
    Faulty premise. Why would women abstain from politically incorrect/tactless humor any more than men would?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    What if the majority of truly witty women, just aren't into being attention whores for show business.
    I think this is true.
    Apparently I'm quite witty when I want to be. It depends on the people around me though, some people really just don't get it.
    I have also had people complain about my sense of humour too, though. Seriously. I was hawled into the office at my previous job, so many times for what several women thought were inappropriate jokes. They were paranoid because they always thought everyone else was talking about them. I'm not an offensive person by nature. Flying monkeys have feelings too, and I swear to god there is such a thing as schmoo cells in the human body.
    It does tend to be situational.
    Although I have to admit none of the men at work had the same problem. That I know of any way.
    The way I see it, a truly enlightened man will appreciate a funny women. Maybe not during intimacy though...especially when it involves religion.
    Time and a place.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

What if the majority of truly witty women, just aren't into being attention whores for show business.
    Oh my mistake, I forgot for a second that witty means obnoxious and attention-deprived, not cleverly facetious.

That is one reason why you will find more funny men than funny women. Being politically correct or very tactful is death for good comedy.
    I think you can be tactful and funny, in fact that's probably more difficult to achieve than the easy crude joke or obvious political observation.
    I think the problem arises when a comedian won't or can't joke about things outside of narrow predetermined subjects. That could manifest itself in someone who only takes cues from what's politically correct at the moment, but it could even occur when they only make jokes based on perceived tastelessness or rebelliousness (because poop or Bush-bashing= funny). In both cases, the comedian is incapable of taking risks for pure humor's sake. That's when comedy dies.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Oh my mistake, I forgot for a second that witty means obnoxious and attention-deprived, not cleverly facetious.
    It does take a certain type of person to go into show business. It's not for most.

MBTI
    ENTP

It does take a certain type of person to go into show business. It's not for most.
    Obviously, but you're committing the invisible cat fallacy to think that because there are fewer witty women in show business, they must just not want to be attention whores. Especially when so many women are willing to attention-whore themselves in every other area of show business.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Faulty premise. Why would women abstain from politically incorrect/tactless humor any more than men would?
    There's no reason why, but the women I have met so far, on average, do. It's true that comedians pertain to the right tail of the distribution, but probably the difference in average extends to the tails too.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Is it? I am not going to pretend to have the answer for everything, but I am definitely willing to generalize that there are more politically incorrect and tactless male comedians than there are politically incorrect and tactless female comedians, but the spread is not nearly so wide as the spread between politically incorrect/tactless men and politically incorrect/tactless women. A friend of mine made a good observation: he was at Mass in high school with his family, and someone let out a gigantic fart during a quieter part of the service. Who was laughing? The children under the age of 10, teenage boys, and a handful of dads. Why is this significant? Because that is something that is innately funny, but the vast majority of women (and everyone elderly) either found it off-putting or stifled their amusement in order to be tactful. You have to have a good sense of humor firstly in order to be funny.

P.S. I hope no one tries to argue that loud farting in church is not funny, because it absolutely is. Is it high comedy? No. Was it funny 2,000 years ago, and will it be funny 2,000 years from now? Absolutely.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think you can be tactful and funny, in fact that's probably more difficult to achieve than the easy crude joke or obvious political observation. I think the problem arises when a comedian won't or can't joke about things outside of narrow predetermined subjects. That could manifest itself in someone who only takes cues from what's politically correct at the moment, but it could even occur when they only make jokes based on perceived tastelessness or rebelliousness (because poop or Bush-bashing= funny). In both cases, the comedian is incapable of taking risks for pure humor's sake. That's when comedy dies.
    You can be, but it is difficult, and people fail at it all the time. Comedy, in both the entertainment industry and in everyday life, is harder to pull off than drama. Bad drama is just boring (listen to someone hapless in dating, like me; it's boring, so I have to dress it up with a little comedy). Bad comedy is physically and psychologically discomfiting. I like all kinds of comedy, AS LONG AS IT'S FUNNY. Plenty of people are "witty," but they never make me laugh.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Is it? I am not going to pretend to have the answer for everything, but I am definitely willing to generalize that there are more politically incorrect and tactless male comedians than there are politically incorrect and tactless female comedians, but the spread is not nearly so wide as the spread between politically incorrect/tactless men and politically incorrect/tactless women. A friend of mine made a good observation: he was at Mass in high school with his family, and someone let out a gigantic fart during a quieter part of the service. Who was laughing? The children under the age of 10, teenage boys, and a handful of dads. Why is this significant? Because that is something that is innately funny, but the vast majority of women (and everyone elderly) either found it off-putting or stifled their amusement in order to be tactful. You have to have a good sense of humor firstly in order to be funny.

P.S. I hope no one tries to argue that loud farting in church is not funny, because it absolutely is. Is it high comedy? No. Was it funny 2,000 years ago, and will it be funny 2,000 years from now? Absolutely.
    This just sounds like differences in humor styles, rather than "Is this person funny or not?"

My roommate and I find the same things funny IRL, but we almost never find the same movies funny. I like silly stuff and I like witty stuff, and I especially like things that combine the two, like Airplane! or Monty Python or Blackadder. She prefers romantic comedy, which I'll usually find unfunny by comparison--I'll always wish the jokes were more inventive. But it doesn't prove that she isn't a funny person--she's one of the few people that consistently makes me laugh out loud.

I don't think not finding farts in church funny proves anything--it's low humor. The inappropriateness can be funny, but a lot of people would rather laugh at something that it took some brains to come up with.
    Something Witty