User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    I

That kinda reminds me of this guy:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0xoKiH8JJM"]Men are better than Women[/YOUTUBE]

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Women as a group seem to be gradually gaining on the comedy world. The funniest person on SNL right now, is this one:

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Women as a group seem to be gradually gaining on the comedy world. The funniest person on SNL right now, is this one:
    +1
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFP

The women on the original SNL were pretty funny also. And what about Bernadette Peters, Madeleine Kahn, Bette Midler?

Seems they played to, rather than away from, male sexual humor.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    The women on the original SNL were pretty funny also. And what about Bernadette Peters, Madeleine Kahn, Bette Midler?

Seems they played to, rather than away from, male sexual humor.
    I liked what I've seen from Gilda Radner, not sure if she was in the original cast though. I never thought Bette Midler was that funny, but she seems to do well in theater.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I find Lisa Lampanelli very funny. Funnier than most male comics.
    Lol.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The funniest person on SNL right now, is this one:
    Agreed, but that's not saying much.

Leslie Mann was funny in 40 year old virgin and Knocked Up. The actresses in Christopher Guest movies have had good comedic performances. But those examples are probably more about timing and perhaps some improv. It's not like they wrote their own material. Genuinely witty women are rare.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post

Leslie Mann was funny in 40 year old virgin and Knocked Up. The actresses in Christopher Guest movies have had good comedic performances. But those examples are probably more about timing and perhaps some improv. It's not like they wrote their own material. Genuinely witty women are rare.
    What if the majority of truly witty women, just aren't into being attention whores for show business.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post

I'd say they have the same potential to be witty, but it's just not valued as much in women as it is in men. Just like (straight) men have the potential to have great fashion sense, but often don't because it's not as valued.

Most men prefer a women who laughs at their jokes, rather than one who makes good jokes.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

It's rare to see them in industry, yes. But I know many genuinely witty women in person.

I'm not sure this is related, but when I first started teaching, the older grad students and the faculty all told me that sarcasm and witticism from female TAs is usually not appreciated by the students. At first I didn't believe this, and I thought it was because the other female TAs were probably more annoying than funny. But, in my experience so far, the students don't appreciate it when I joke or use sarcasm. It's like it goes against some unspoken rule, and it affronts them. Of course, there is always the risk that I'm just not as funny or clever as I think...

And you know what's odd is that it's usually the female students who don't appreciate sarcasm or witticism. I can always at least get the clownish male in the class to laugh. The girls, though, are impenetrable in this matter.

Unfortunately I have nothing theoretical to add to explain this phenomenon.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness