User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default The Word "Fag" (Split: The Word "Retard")

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I thought doctors would to call mentally disabled people retards or idiots because those used to be professional labels. Those words were hijacked by the general population to be used as insults, much like the words lame and fag. I point this out because my vote isn't in the list (only when NOT used to refer to a mentally handicapped person). I don't think it would be an insult for me to call Brendan a fag, but it would be an insult for me to call Jeffster a fag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Well "fag" is a bit different. You see, "fag" is short for "fagot," which means a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel. This is a reference to the days when gays were burned at the stake, and was never a clinical term in any shape or form.

So yeah, it's pretty offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Then replace "fag" with "gay" or "homo".
    Who should replace it? The person using the word, or the person being referred to with it?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Doesn't fag reffer to a cigarette?

It's that or my friend saying, "I'm gonna go smoke a fag" suddenly gets an interesting meaning.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    Doesn't fag reffer to a cigarette?

It's that or my friend saying, "I'm gonna go smoke a fag" suddenly gets an interesting meaning.
    In the United States it's commonly used as a derogatory term for a gay male.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I use the word "fag" all the time. My only infraction on this place is from using the word "fag" Edit: Fag x30000

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    yupp

I find my skin burn when I hear some one use the word fag as an insult. even if they're joking because when I hear fag I picture gay bashing and that pisses me off, because I can not see how someone could beat someone to inches of death or even to death based on sexual orientation.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I use the word "fag" all the time. My only infraction on this place is from using the word "fag" Edit: Fag x30000
    Hey, you said it again!

*gets out the ban stick*

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i use it sometimes but not in a derogatory way...like i miss my gay friends!!...or you're such a cute gay boy!!! again like the other thread...i just use it as it's intended...not as an insult...wouldn't make sense to me because i don't think it is.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i use it sometimes but not in a derogatory way...like i miss my gay friends!!...or you're such a cute gay boy!!! again like the other thread...i just use it as it's intended...not as an insult...wouldn't make sense to me because i don't think it is.
    Well, what makes something insulting is that, when you say it, the recipient feels insulted.

Would I be pissed off if someone I am good friends with says "fag," in a way that makes me laugh? No. If that same person was pissed off and called me a fag, I would probably feel an inclination to punch them in the face.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Would I be pissed off if someone I am good friends with says "fag," in a way that makes me laugh? No. If that same person was pissed off and called me a fag, I would probably feel an inclination to punch them in the face.
    So now it's back to context?
    What if someone says it to be a joke, but the recipient doesn't feel like it's a joke to them?

(Btw, I'm a context person too -- most of this stuff rolls off my back from friends, but not from outsiders.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So now it's back to context?
    What if someone says it to be a joke, but the recipient doesn't feel like it's a joke to them?
    Know your audience. Often, this is how context is discovered in the first place.

"[...]fag[...]"

"Hey, I find that term offensive."

"Oh, I'm sorry " or "That's because you're a fag."

I can be offended by a term, but if someone expresses that they didn't mean to offend me, I usually let it go, requesting that they please not use the term around me in the future. If they continue to do so, I can react or not react accordingly.