User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Word "Fag" (Split: The Word "Retard")

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    In Britain:

Fag = 1) Cigarette (common slang)

2) Traditionally, a younger boy at a "Public" school (i.e. exclusive private school ) who acts as a sort of menial servant to a senior boy. Given the known proclivities of the British public (see above) schools, and the potential for abuse of the "fag" that this system created, I can't help wondering whether this might be a possible alternative origin for the current meaning of the word in America.

Faggot = 1) Bundle of wood, as discussed (pretty archaic these days though)

2) Pork meatballs in gravy, a common and traditional English dish.

Most people would know the american meanings of the words, but very few would actually use them in this context in conversation.

However, everyone knows the British meanings of the words, and most have no qualms about using them in conversation *why should they?*. Those with a sense of fun also like to take the opportunity to wind up visiting americans with the words, though some can be quite sucessful at doing it inadvertantly too.

I will never forget my american ex's face when we were sitting in a hotel and she saw Rich, Tasty Faggots available on the menu, as today's special
    Right.. a friend and I were playing an online game, and he said on the chat window. "Geoff and I are popping outside for a minute because I need a fag".

Guerilla Urbanist Array Brendan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    He'd probably get his ass kicked.
    Nah. My bet is that he hasn't got the balls to say it to a gay guy who's bigger than him.
    OP: Do you get upset when people in the GLBT community use the word?
    Typically, yes. How does one expect to gain dignity when referring to himself using degrading words.
    I labeled myself a fag back in the day. I'm very feminine looking, but extremely masculine in action. Dominant top, aisle three. Seriously. I credit strength to the gay male community. It was a compliment. Besides, lesbian has too many syllables.
    Wait, are you a guy or a girl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    By the way the etymology of the word faggot that Brendan cited is totally wrong.
    Well I can see how the straight man would know, as I doubt a gay man was the first to use it as an insult.

Oh, and in the future, perhaps you could at least spell the word correctly.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Itís certainly not a compliment to women, just like using the word gay as an insult.
    Actually, similarly from my experience of the word fag in the San Francisco homo community ... the word "gay" meant happy before it ever meant homosexual. The use as senseless or stupid also existed before it meant homosexual. People calling stuff gay meaning that it's dumb doesn't seem to offend among the very politically correct San Francisco gay community. It's something of a controversial subject, but the majority opinion seems to be that it's just a carryover from the meaning of the older word gay that the homosexual community subverted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I thought doctors would to call mentally disabled people retards or idiots because those used to be professional labels. Those words were hijacked by the general population to be used as insults, much like the words lame and fag. I point this out because my vote isn't in the list (only when NOT used to refer to a mentally handicapped person). I don't think it would be an insult for me to call Brendan a fag, but it would be an insult for me to call Jeffster a fag.
    Labelling theory, Outsiders, Howard Becker. The mark marks & makes the person. Labelling is a crucial aspect of stigma. There has been modified labelling theory by Link et al., that says that, unlike the label creating the 'deviance', it is almost circular. Deviance creates label. Label exacerbates deviance. Label more deeply rooted. And it starts again.

What it all comes away with is that it is not easy to separate a label from the labelled. Thus, even when the label isn't applied to those 'justified' of being labelled as such (i.e., a real life, honest to goodness, person with intellectually disability, for e.g.,) , the label still, by the very act of being a label, propagates.

Mental retardation - persons with developmental disability or persons with intellectual disability. It is not even so much as labelling a person as, but, with. Only a mere part of their identity. Not the whole.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Wait, are you a guy or a girl?
    lol Female. I use a male avatar, to deter people from flirting with me.

Gay people I know, use fag in an endearing way. I have no issue with Dyke either. I understand why other queer people would be upset, but it's never bothered me. It might be, because I came out in a very open environment where heterosexuality was the minority. So, I have no war stories to share about being called derogatory names. As an adult, I have more issues with lewd come ons while out with my partners, than hatred or name calling. I've yet to experience anything like that.