User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    A left-wing secularist who loves to talk shit about religious beliefs, but then gasps in horror at the word "fag", since that's obviously in bad taste. How can that possibly be?

Besides, I use derogatory terms for everybody. After all, I'm an equal oppurtunity bigot!
    Do you call them faggots to their face when they annoy you? At least I'm talking shit directly to you.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

It’s about context. Using fag to refer to someone’s sexuality is touchy depending on the person, I know if I called my gay friends fags they wouldn’t be happy about it. Using the word fag to refer to a smoke, fine. Using the word fag as an insult, not cool but most insults aren’t anyway.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Do you call them faggots to their face when they annoy you?
    What did I just say?

At least I'm talking shit directly to you.
    Yeah and unlike you I don't screech in horror about it, I just shove right back in your face - where it properly belongs.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

What did I just say?
    You made it unclear whether you say it to their face or not. I doubt you do. I think the closest you've got to being around gay people is when you accidentally saw a clip from Rocky Horror Picture Show on TV.

Sniffles

I think the closest you've got to being around gay people is when you accidentally saw a clip from Rocky Horror Picture Show on TV.
    I hang out with two gay friends. And I did have a co-worker who was a lesbian, and her sexual orientation was the least of my problems with her.

Then during my senior year in high school, I had one gay classmate. The thing that annoyed me(and everybody else) most about him was when he started singing Backstreet Boy songs. My teacher even had to tell him to shut up.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I hang out with two gay friends.
    Okay. And?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I wouldn't use the word fag or faggot to describe someone, I really don’t like it, I wouldn’t take kindly to anyone around me using it either but thankfully it’s not commonly heard in my circles.

More commonly used and something I take issue with is using the word gay as an insult, it's a reference to someone’s sexuality and calling someone/something undesired gay insinuates that being gay is something to be looked down on. Personally I cringe whenever anyone uses it in conversation to indicate something’s bad, most don't consider what they’re inferring. I used to do it a bit when I was younger until I got pulled up by a gay friend and told to think about what I was insinuating.
    Not always, and certainly less with each passing generation. When you call something lame do you explicitly mean that it's crippled?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Not always, and certainly less with each passing generation. When you call something lame do you explicitly mean that it's crippled?
    With each passing generation huh? My parents generation the word gay meant cheery and bubbly, I fail to see how it has less to do with homosexuality now than previously.

I also fail to see how being crippled could have the same social connotations as homosexuality, as far as I’m aware being crippled was never considered illegal or immoral nor was it something that others couldn't understand.

Like I said, I don't think most people consider what they’re inferring when they use the word gay as an insult, I do not believe most people have a sinister double meaning when saying ‘that’s gay’ it’s simply something others around them say that they’ve never questioned. It's like when people tell guys not to act like a girl, sure it happens a lot and no offence is meant to women but the reason it's an insult is because being a girl is considered inferior. Why else would someone call a guy who fails at something a girl? It’s certainly not a compliment to women, just like using the word gay as an insult.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I usually it for bantering purposes, and/or when a homosexual/metrosexual pisses me off.

I agree with Lateralus that I hardly ever see gay-bashing, except for isolated incidents on the news. In most incidents it's usually when homosexuals act in rather outrageous ways in public that people tend to get irritated with them.

Especially with incidents like this:
    You know, I sincerely hope that one of your children turn out gay.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INxJ

Do you call them faggots to their face when they annoy you? At least I'm talking shit directly to you.
    He'd probably get his ass kicked.

OP: Do you get upset when people in the GLBT community use the word?

I labeled myself a fag back in the day. I'm very feminine looking, but extremely masculine in action. Dominant top, aisle three. Seriously. I credit strength to the gay male community. It was a compliment. Besides, lesbian has too many syllables.