User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh! just noticed that you were talking about the word fag...yeah i don't say that. i was talking about the word gay...like he's gay...just in the descriptive sense.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    oh! just noticed that you were talking about the word fag...yeah i don't say that. i was talking about the word gay...like he's gay...just in the descriptive sense.
    Well I've seen gay people and their straight friends use the word fag in a friendly and teasing way. "You're too gay" "You're such a fag hag"... Nothin wrong with that I don't think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah me either.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well I've seen gay people and their straight friends use the word fag in a friendly and teasing way. "You're too gay" "You're such a fag hag"... Nothin wrong with that I don't think.
    I spent a summer living in San Francisco's gayest neighborhood and I heard people using the word fag all the time as simply descriptive of a lifestyle choice. I used it myself that way and I never encountered anyone who thought I was insulting them. Heck, I used to eat at a pink colored diner called The Hot and Hunky where the waiters wore tight short shorts.

By the way the etymology of the word faggot that Brendan cited is totally wrong. In Italian they do use a slang word for gays that traces its origin back to burning people at the stake, but in English "faggot gatherers" were old women. When you call a gay man a faggot the etymology is comparing him to a useless old woman.

The word faygele (Hebrew "little bird") sounds similar and probably reinforced the English fag.

Anyway, yeah I think this word's offensiveness comes down to context.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    I spent a summer living in San Francisco's gayest neighborhood and I heard people using the word fag all the time as simply descriptive of a lifestyle choice. I used it myself that way and I never encountered anyone who thought I was insulting them. Heck, I used to eat at a pink colored diner called The Hot and Hunky where the waiters wore tight short shorts.

By the way the etymology of the word faggot that Brendan cited is totally wrong. In Italian they do use a slang word for gays that traces its origin back to burning people at the stake, but in English "faggot gatherers" were old women. When you call a gay man a faggot the etymology is comparing him to a useless old woman.

Anyway, yeah I think this word's offensiveness comes down to context.
    Yeah in a gay enough atmosphere, I don't think even a redneck could offend with the word if he tried. He'd get laughed off.

Sniffles

I usually it for bantering purposes, and/or when a homosexual/metrosexual pisses me off.

I agree with Lateralus that I hardly ever see gay-bashing, except for isolated incidents on the news. In most incidents it's usually when homosexuals act in rather outrageous ways in public that people tend to get irritated with them.

Especially with incidents like this:
    AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Amsterdam hosted a Christmas celebration for its gay community on Sunday featuring a nativity tableau with a male Mary in drag that church organizations denounced as an affront to traditional values.

Organizers said the event was meant to raise Amsterdam's profile as a gay capital at a time when homosexuals feel threatened.

Christians for Truth, an independent religious group, had asked the city council to cancel the "Pink Christmas," event, saying it made a mockery of Christian tenets. The city did not comment.

Amsterdam's gay Christmas has Mary in drag - Europe- msnbc.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I usually it for bantering purposes, and/or when a homosexual/metrosexual pisses me off.
    A right-wing Christian uses derogatory terms for homosexuals? Ya don't say?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I wouldn't use the word fag or faggot to describe someone, I really dont like it, I wouldnt take kindly to anyone around me using it either but thankfully its not commonly heard in my circles.

More commonly used and something I take issue with is using the word gay as an insult, it's a reference to someones sexuality and calling someone/something undesired gay insinuates that being gay is something to be looked down on. Personally I cringe whenever anyone uses it in conversation to indicate somethings bad, most don't consider what theyre inferring. I used to do it a bit when I was younger until I got pulled up by a gay friend and told to think about what I was insinuating.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    A right-wing Christian uses derogatory terms for homosexuals? Ya don't say?
    A left-wing secularist who loves to talk shit about religious beliefs, but then gasps in horror at the word "fag", since that's obviously in bad taste. How can that possibly be?

Besides, I use derogatory terms for everybody. After all, I'm an equal oppurtunity bigot!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    Doesn't fag reffer to a cigarette?

It's that or my friend saying, "I'm gonna go smoke a fag" suddenly gets an interesting meaning.
    A fag is an inofficial room mate in a public school in England. There is a lot of homosexual activity in those boys' schools. This is how fag has come to mean a heterosexual person engaged in homosexual activity.
    In an English public school , fag means also a cigarette.