User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Who should replace it? The person using the word, or the person being referred to with it?
    Replace my previous statement with either of those words.

P.S. My choice still isn't in the list!
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

In Britain:

Fag = 1) Cigarette (common slang)

2) Traditionally, a younger boy at a "Public" school (i.e. exclusive private school ) who acts as a sort of menial servant to a senior boy. Given the known proclivities of the British public (see above) schools, and the potential for abuse of the "fag" that this system created, I can't help wondering whether this might be a possible alternative origin for the current meaning of the word in America.

Faggot = 1) Bundle of wood, as discussed (pretty archaic these days though)

2) Pork meatballs in gravy, a common and traditional English dish.

Most people would know the american meanings of the words, but very few would actually use them in this context in conversation.

However, everyone knows the British meanings of the words, and most have no qualms about using them in conversation *why should they?*. Those with a sense of fun also like to take the opportunity to wind up visiting americans with the words, though some can be quite sucessful at doing it inadvertantly too.

I will never forget my american ex's face when we were sitting in a hotel and she saw Rich, Tasty Faggots available on the menu, as today's special
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I find my skin burn when I hear some one use the word fag as an insult. even if they're joking because when I hear fag I picture gay bashing and that pisses me off, because I can not see how someone could beat someone to inches of death or even to death based on sexual orientation.
    I hear people say things like this, but I have a hard time believing it because I've only seen gays get treated like that in movies or on television. My brothers and I will insult each other using all kinds of different words, "fag" included. Over the years, my brothers have called me fag, fatty, blackie, homo, gay, fool, idiot, retard, asshole, buttwipe, douchebag...the list goes on. I think it's funny. It's almost like a competition to come up with some new insult.

Edit: I was just reminded of a couple scenes in Gran Torino where Eastwood and a friend insult each other as a normal mode of conversation. Those types of exchanges are familiar to me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I hear people say things like this, but I have a hard time believing it because I've only seen gays get treated like that in movies or on television.
    Yeah, at a nearby high school, a kid (who's not even gay, just a stupid teenage boy) patted another kid on the ass in the gym locker room. The kid whose ass received the pat proceeded to break the other kid's arm.

He received detention.
    Edit: I was just reminded of a couple scenes in Gran Torino where Eastwood and a friend insult each other as a normal mode of conversation. Those types of exchanges are familiar to me.
    "Well I don't have a job... Or a car... Or a girlfriend."

"Jesus, I should have killed him when I had the chance."

There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yeah, at a nearby high school, a kid (who's not even gay, just a stupid teenage boy) patted another kid on the ass in the gym locker room. The kid whose ass received the pat proceeded to break the other kid's arm.

He received detention.
    If I patted a woman on the ass in front a police officer, I could be arrested for assault. Do you have any anecdotes where the attacker was unprovoked?

MBTI
    ENFJ

If I patted a woman on the ass in front a police officer, I could be arrested for assault. Do you have any anecdotes where the attacker was unprovoked?
    I fail to see how breaking someone's arm in retaliation to being patted on the ass is an appropriate response.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I fail to see how breaking someone's arm in retaliation to being patted on the ass is an appropriate response.
    You don't see how being sexually assaulted might cause someone to react like that?

MBTI
    ENFJ

You don't see how being sexually assaulted might cause someone to react like that?
    I do, though I don't think it's warranted. Should that hypothetical woman break your arm?

And for fuck's sake it was in a boy's high school locker room. When in Rome...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do, though I don't think it's warranted. Should that hypothetical woman break your arm?

And for fuck's sake it was in a boy's high school locker room. When in Rome...
    Well, you don't know if the boy was molested by family or anything in his past. If he was, then I could understand and see how getting touched on your ass in an unwarranted fashion might evoke that sort of reaction.

The kid could also have anger management issues...
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The word "fag" packs a lot of punch. I can see why it's an attractive word to use for some people who don't have other ways to add emphasis to what they say.

I don't use it, bad taste.