User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 55

  1. #11
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Well, what makes something insulting is that, when you say it, the recipient feels insulted.

    Would I be pissed off if someone I am good friends with says "fag," in a way that makes me laugh? No. If that same person was pissed off and called me a fag, I would probably feel an inclination to punch them in the face.
    i know my friends...i would never say it to them if it insulted them. you shouldn't assume it's insulting to everybody..knowing your company is important and i would never say that to someone i didn't know.

    and..i'm not afraid of the word being used as intended...a descriptive term is only offensive if it has a negative connotation..i don't have any negative associations with the word.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  2. #12
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Know your audience.
    that's what i said too. i always do and have NEVER offended anyone like that.
    gayness is not some foreign weird thing to me...it's no big deal...so saying someone is gay means about the same as saying they're tall. i really don't care.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  3. #13
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    that's what i said too. i always do and have NEVER offended anyone like that.
    gayness is not some foreign weird thing to me...it's no big deal...so saying someone is gay means about the same as saying they're tall. i really don't care.
    Wow. MacGuffin's really tall!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #14
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i know my friends...i would never say it to them if it insulted them. you shouldn't assume it's insulting to everybody..knowing your company is important and i would never say that to someone i didn't know.

    and..i'm not afraid of the word being used as intended...a descriptive term is only offensive if it has a negative connotation..i don't have any negative associations with the word.
    I'm no stranger to using the word... but sparingly. When you're using it in reference to a gay person, regardless of how you intended it, it's pretty much up to them whether or not it's acceptable. I'm not saying it offends your friends, my only argument is there are better words to use than one whose use references burning at the stake.

    That usually takes the humor right out of the word.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  5. #15
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    I never use the word "fag." There was a period where it was popular to use it when I was in junior high, but then everyone kind of collectively got over it.

    I do occasionally say that something's "gay," but only because it's hilarious to talk like a 12-year-old sometimes, and it's not really referring to gay people.
    Something Witty

  6. #16
    Te > Fi > Ni Shaula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Well... It doesn't offend me when my dad always names Link on Legend of Zelda "FAGGOT". He thinks it's hilarious. When he resumes his game he usually announces, "I'm gonna go play with faggot boy."
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

  7. #17
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I'm no stranger to using the word... but sparingly. When you're using it in reference to a gay person, regardless of how you intended it, it's pretty much up to them whether or not it's acceptable. I'm not saying it offends your friends, my only argument is there are better words to use than one whose use references burning at the stake.

    That usually takes the humor right out of the word.
    damn do i hate being misunderstood. HATE IT! believe me dude i have never used the word offensively and probably very rarely use it but it's no sacred word if used in a descriptive sense. imo it's all about intention.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  8. #18
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Well... It doesn't offend me when my dad always names Link on Legend of Zelda "FAGGOT". He thinks it's hilarious. When he resumes his game he usually announces, "I'm gonna go play with faggot boy."
    That actually sounds funny to me.
    (Then again, I bet it irks the heck out of Link.)

    Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    damn do i hate being misunderstood. HATE IT! believe me dude i have never used the word offensively and probably very rarely use it but it's no sacred word if used in a descriptive sense. imo it's all about intention.
    Deep breaths.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #19
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    damn do i hate being misunderstood. HATE IT! believe me dude i have never used the word offensively and probably very rarely use it but it's no sacred word if used in a descriptive sense. imo it's all about intention.
    I agree with you, I just like to argue.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  10. #20
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I agree with you, I just like to argue.
    WELL I DON'T!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] NTs, the first word out of your mouth.
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 06:12 AM
  2. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
  3. Implications of the word "lifestyle"
    By Totenkindly in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
  4. What's the word for "pertaining to children"
    By darlets in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO